Reviving The Budget Initiative
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 08:01:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Reviving The Budget Initiative
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Reviving The Budget Initiative  (Read 875 times)
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 22, 2010, 09:21:44 PM »
« edited: February 23, 2010, 02:04:44 AM by GM Purple State »

I would like to bring back the budget. We have a new and improved Office of the GM, an incoming President who wants greater focus on budgetary issues and a Senate that looks like it needs something to do.

This will be a place for people to lay down ideas on re-instituting the budget. This means both looking at the Constitution and seeing how we can improve the original process, as well as looking at formatting ideas and what things to include.

What is needed right now is two-fold: a) A show of interest from citizens, senators and government officials and b) Explanations from the old-timers on how the budgets used to look, why they didn't work and how we can bring them back in better shape.

My first idea would be to remove the budget from a duty of each new Senate term and place it with the elected President. This would make the budget a less common and time-consuming matter (3 times a year, rather than six) and would make it an interesting way for the President to set the agenda for his or her upcoming term.

Let's get the ball rolling. What are your thoughts? Is there any support for this in the Senate?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 01:01:53 PM »

I would like to bring back the budget. We have a new and improved Office of the GM, an incoming President who wants greater focus on budgetary issues and a Senate that looks like it needs something to do.

This will be a place for people to lay down ideas on re-instituting the budget. This means both looking at the Constitution and seeing how we can improve the original process, as well as looking at formatting ideas and what things to include.

What is needed right now is two-fold: a) A show of interest from citizens, senators and government officials and b) Explanations from the old-timers on how the budgets used to look, why they didn't work and how we can bring them back in better shape.

My first idea would be to remove the budget from a duty of each new Senate term and place it with the elected President. This would make the budget a less common and time-consuming matter (3 times a year, rather than six) and would make it an interesting way for the President to set the agenda for his or her upcoming term.

Let's get the ball rolling. What are your thoughts? Is there any support for this in the Senate?

You're a great GM, PS, but you certainly have your hands massively full. A thought just came to me: Perhaps this is something we can at least partially delegate to the SoIA in lieu of abolishing the position. It's not that I'm in love with keeping that position open. It just seems the budget is a demanding and decidedly "internal" job, and the SoIA is currently a do-nothing job that otherwise warrants abolition. I assume, PS, you could use some delegation on the budget project.

On a slightly related note, someone recently proposed the bright idea of giving the SoIA some financial powers not unlike the Fed. Maybe do both?

Just thinking out loud here....
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 04:28:03 PM »

Those all seem like good ideas. I see the budget as a collaborative project for the entire executive branch. Interests jockeying for cuts there and increases here.

Obviously it was a failure when the Senate had to do it every two months, but if every new President needs to do it and it isn't quite as detailed as the old budgets, it could really be a great thing.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 09:47:12 AM »

Yea, there is no reason to abolish a perfectly good office and then enact the budget one could fix the others problems.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 10:37:09 AM »

What do Xahar, Lief and Afleitch think about this?

Though my opinion matters little here compared to those 3, FWIW if Xahar still wants the SoIA job with new budgetary and monetary policy responsibilities, it's his for the taking.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 01:46:57 AM »

I would like to at least hear what everyone has to think about a simplified, less frequent budget. My job (and your jobs!) is infinitely harder without a set budget.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 04:23:24 PM »

I would like to at least hear what everyone has to think about a simplified, less frequent budget. My job (and your jobs!) is infinitely harder without a set budget.

I would support a budget though it needs alot of input to get the figures right first time. It also allows for bills to be better costed and for each administration to have an acheivable aim. I think the idea of handing the job to the SoIA is a good call.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2010, 11:14:26 AM »

I would support a relatively simple version of this.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2010, 09:28:33 PM »

I posted this in the elections board petition thread. It's a very rough draft of what I envision. Thoughts?

Here is a rough draft of what I envision. Please feel free to offer edits, ideas, etc.

This first part is to give the President-elect a head start on the Budget.
Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Here is the budget text. Note that it will be placed in the Article pertaining to the Executive.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2010, 10:10:14 PM »

Don't require a budget. Make one if you want to, fine, but don't force it. It'll just be ignored.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2010, 08:36:30 AM »

I posted this in the elections board petition thread. It's a very rough draft of what I envision. Thoughts?

Here is a rough draft of what I envision. Please feel free to offer edits, ideas, etc.

Here is the budget text. Note that it will be placed in the Article pertaining to the Executive.

What happened to giving the SoIA budgetary authority? Is that what is meant by "cabinet-designate"? If so, why not make it more specific to the SoIA?

I thought the idea was to kill two birds with one stone where we both revive the budget and delegate its considerable duties to a currently do-nothing office.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2010, 11:56:06 PM »

What happened to giving the SoIA budgetary authority? Is that what is meant by "cabinet-designate"? If so, why not make it more specific to the SoIA?

I thought the idea was to kill two birds with one stone where we both revive the budget and delegate its considerable duties to a currently do-nothing office.

I guess the idea was to give the President greater leeway. The SoIA could head things up, or the VP could, or the GM. Meanwhile, each officer would weigh in on how much their department needs or ideas they have for agenda items. It makes a very big project a collaborative work.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2010, 12:46:16 AM »

Do a budget before you legislate anything.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2010, 10:53:15 PM »

Do a budget before you legislate anything.

Once afleitch takes office we can start the work I hope.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies