PPP: Mitt Romney beats all Republican challengers in FL & CO
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:42:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  PPP: Mitt Romney beats all Republican challengers in FL & CO
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: PPP: Mitt Romney beats all Republican challengers in FL & CO  (Read 1186 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 11, 2010, 12:22:48 PM »

In an early look at the 2012 GOP Primaries:

Florida

Romney: 52%
Huckabee: 21%
Palin: 18%
Undecided: 9%

Colorado

Romney: 44%
Palin: 25%
Huckabee: 17%
Undecided: 14%

PPP surveyed 497 Republican primary voters in Colorado and 492 Republican primary
voters in Florida from March 5th to 8th. The margin of error for both surveys is +/-4.4%.
Other factors, such as refusal to be interviewed and weighting, may introduce additional
error that is more difficult to quantify.

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/pdf/PPP_Release_FLCO_311.pdf
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 12:25:55 PM »

I don't think that Romney has a majority of the vote in Florida, especially if he can't get a majority in Colorado.
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 12:27:25 PM »

I'm not suprised.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 12:29:46 PM »

^

and Colorado is exactly how I'd thought it would play out
Devilman88

Political Matrix
E: 5.94, S: 2.61

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 12:45:42 PM »

Good job Romney you are beating two people that are most likely not going to run.. Anywho, Im shocked to see Palin pulling 25% in CO.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 12:53:35 PM »

Good job Romney you are beating two people that are most likely not going to run.. Anywho, Im shocked to see Palin pulling 25% in CO.

people south of Denver love her. It's the only reason McCain had a shot here, they volunteered for her not him. At one of the first McCain-Palin rallies in CO Springs when they both came on stage everyone was shouting "Palin Power"
Devilman88

Political Matrix
E: 5.94, S: 2.61

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 01:06:11 PM »

people south of Denver love her. It's the only reason McCain had a shot here, they volunteered for her not him. At one of the first McCain-Palin rallies in CO Springs when they both came on stage everyone was shouting "Palin Power"

Ah, I see. But it doesn't matter she will not run this go around.
Guderian

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010, 01:11:27 PM »

You think? I'm almost 99% sure Palin will run in 2012. Everything she's doing for last year or so is typical behavior of a presidential candidate.
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2010, 01:17:00 PM »

You think? I'm almost 99% sure Palin will run in 2012. Everything she's doing for last year or so is typical behavior of a presidential candidate.
^^^
Only with added stupid and camera-whoreishness.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2010, 02:58:53 PM »

Quitting as governor half way through your term for no apparent reason is "typical behavior of a presidential candidate"?
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2010, 03:23:58 PM »

You make it sound like the vote has already taken place.
Guderian

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2010, 03:26:43 PM »

There were plenty of reasons for Palin to resign from governorship. One was ethical investigation by the legislature, other was the fact that it's hard to keep a high national profile when you have to spend most of your time governing bloody Alaska. It shows that her ambitions are pointed towards 2012 more than 2016 or some later date.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2010, 03:54:52 PM »

There were plenty of reasons for Palin to resign from governorship. One was ethical investigation by the legislature, other was the fact that it's hard to keep a high national profile when you have to spend most of your time governing bloody Alaska.

That's an absurd statement, if the person in question is Sarah Palin.  She had no problem getting lots of media exposure while governor.  She was certainly well ahead of Romney and Huckabee in terms of media exposure in early 2009, despite the fact that the latter two were no longer busy being governor and she was.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

If her ambitions were pointed towards 2012, the smart thing to do would have been to stick it out until her term as governor was over, and then shift to running for president after that.  As it is, if she runs in 2012, she's opened herself up to the charge that she quit her job when the going got tough.  One can almost play the script for Romney's attack ads in one's head.  "She quit on Alaska.  How do you know she won't quit on you?"
TheGreatOne

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2010, 06:37:04 PM »

I can see the attack ad: "If Sarah palin quit in Alaska, how do we know she won't quit on America?"  Its an opposition canidates wet dream and its definately Mitt Romney's style.  Okay its official.  I've thought it over.  Sarah Palin has zero chance of becoming President. 
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2010, 06:39:51 PM »

Not good news. The GOP better find itself some worthwhile candidates if they want a chance in 2012.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2010, 06:43:26 PM »

Good job Romney you are beating two people that are most likely not going to run.

Keep in mind that these are also the two candidates who are polling the highest. Romney would be winning by even more if his opponents were Gingrich, Thune, and Pawlenty.
President Mitt
Giovanni
Samoa

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2010, 06:50:48 PM »

And the Republicans continues to turn to Trash for leadership. Romney being the trashiest of them all. Not Comforting.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2010, 06:51:49 PM »

Good job Romney you are beating two people that are most likely not going to run.

Keep in mind that these are also the two candidates who are polling the highest. Romney would be winning by even more if his opponents were Gingrich, Thune, and Pawlenty.

That's right.  Adding Pawlenty or Thune to the poll wouldn't really tell you much of anything at this point, as no one knows who they are (yet).
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2010, 08:20:57 PM »

I'm ready to call it.  I realize Giuliani was in a similarly strong position in 2006 but (a) Giuliani had ethics issues of a nature that feel less likely to pop up for Romney (b) John McCain came into the race with very wide recognition from his last campaign and many TV appearances and was well suited to compete with Giuliani in his best states.  Romney's case is different because the potential competitors with the most media exposure are better suited for different kinds of states (if they even run) and Romney's states where he has a good chance of cruising are much more valuable in a primary.  two points I've raised before.  1) Romney's biggest threat is someone like T-Paw or Thune (who could also compete in more moderate states) taking Iowa and getting press like Obama did in '08.  A much better scenario for him is Palin or Huckabee winning Iowa and getting in a 2-man race with Romney.  Best obviously is winning Iowa himself.  (2) it's conceivable Romney could underperform so significantly in the great plains and deep south so as to win more delegates with less popular votes.  But best bet is on a relatively easy nomination win for Romney (a la John Kerry in 2004).  And by the way, I think Palin wouldn't be deterred from running and losing as long as she gauged the exposure would be good for her media career in the long run.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies