A few questions for Republicans about Massachusetts
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:27:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  A few questions for Republicans about Massachusetts
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: A few questions for Republicans about Massachusetts  (Read 8503 times)
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2010, 02:53:36 PM »

The legislature could just pass funding for the Green Line over any veto anyway, right?

Provided there were enough Democrats who gave a crap about a tiny little part of the Commonwealth, yes.

In other words, no. Probably not even close to a majority of the legislature would support the project unless the governor were pushing for it. At least, not over cutting the project to avoid raising taxes or cutting something more people care about statewide.

That's what I was getting at. It's a terrific project for my hometown of Somerville (and might result in me seeing a serious jump in property value), but I doubt someone out in Sturbridge, MA would be super excited about the Green Line getting extended into Medford.

In general, though, Massachusetts Republicans tend to be quite supportive of mass transit (especially commuter rail projects) because virtually all of them come from commuter rail districts.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2010, 03:35:01 PM »

The legislature could just pass funding for the Green Line over any veto anyway, right?

Provided there were enough Democrats who gave a crap about a tiny little part of the Commonwealth, yes.

In other words, no. Probably not even close to a majority of the legislature would support the project unless the governor were pushing for it. At least, not over cutting the project to avoid raising taxes or cutting something more people care about statewide.

That's what I was getting at. It's a terrific project for my hometown of Somerville (and might result in me seeing a serious jump in property value), but I doubt someone out in Sturbridge, MA would be super excited about the Green Line getting extended into Medford.

In general, though, Massachusetts Republicans tend to be quite supportive of mass transit (especially commuter rail projects) because virtually all of them come from commuter rail districts.

Is the Green Line extension to be connected to the commuter rail? I know there's a commuter rail stop in West Medford that must be at least close to a stop on the extension.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2010, 03:43:15 PM »

Is the Green Line extension to be connected to the commuter rail? I know there's a commuter rail stop in West Medford that must be at least close to a stop on the extension.

I don't think there's any plan to take advantage of that connection. If they did, it would be a minor part of its appeal. It's a project with local appeal. Thankfully Somerville has a very vocal and active population that supports this project. I have to hope that I'm overstating the impact an R win would have on this project, whose planning and environmental review are well underway.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2010, 03:48:02 PM »

I don't think there's any plan to take advantage of that connection. If they did, it would be a minor part of its appeal. It's a project with local appeal. Thankfully Somerville has a very vocal and active population that supports this project. I have to hope that I'm overstating the impact an R win would have on this project, whose planning and environmental review are well underway.

I know, I get occasional excited emails from the Tufts alumni network talking about it. It would have been amazing to have a T stop right next to campus while I was there. Does anyone worry that it would harm the vibrancy of Davis Square to have a competing line? (I don't think it would, just curious.)
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2010, 03:51:18 PM »

I know, I get occasional excited emails from the Tufts alumni network talking about it. It would have been amazing to have a T stop right next to campus while I was there. Does anyone worry that it would harm the vibrancy of Davis Square?

I didn't know you had that connection. How recently did you live in the area?

Davis Square is doing so extraordinarily well. I don't think this poses a threat for most of what Davis Square provides. How often did undergrads go into Boston when you were there?
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2010, 04:00:55 PM »

I know, I get occasional excited emails from the Tufts alumni network talking about it. It would have been amazing to have a T stop right next to campus while I was there. Does anyone worry that it would harm the vibrancy of Davis Square?

I didn't know you had that connection. How recently did you live in the area?

I graduated in 2005 and moved back to the NYC metro, so not within the timeframe of my presence on this forum.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I was a bit of a shut-in, so I'm personally not the best example. But I certainly knew people who were in Boston many times a week. Tufts has (or had, at least, and I can't imagine they'd discontinue it at least until the Green Line extension is finished) a free shuttle that ran very regularly between campus and Davis Square, so getting into Davis or Boston was very easy.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2010, 08:03:31 AM »
« Edited: March 17, 2010, 08:07:01 AM by brittain33 »

Cahill is coming out full-force against Mass.'s health care law today, which puts him to the right of Baker and, I imagine he thinks, at the forefront of Scott Brown's silent majority.

I'm really starting to dislike this guy. He's all about we have to cut the deficit AND we have to cut taxes. Pure cant. I have much more respect for Baker in comparison.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2010, 08:16:36 AM »

Cahill is coming out full-force against Mass.'s health care law today, which puts him to the right of Baker and, I imagine he thinks, at the forefront of Scott Brown's silent majority.

I'm really starting to dislike this guy. He's all about we have to cut the deficit AND we have to cut taxes. Pure cant. I have much more respect for Baker in comparison.

I'm actually glad to hear that a candidate is seriously discussing the failure of the Massachusetts health care law.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2010, 09:51:53 AM »

I'm actually glad to hear that a candidate is seriously discussing the failure of the Massachusetts health care law.

He attacked in terms of its costs to the state budget which have been trivial.

It hasn't led to a drop in premiums, but that's a separate issue. Repealing the mandate won't do anything about the teaching hospitals' rates or how they play hardball on reimbursement.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2010, 01:44:19 PM »

He attacked in terms of its costs to the state budget which have been trivial.

It hasn't led to a drop in premiums, but that's a separate issue. Repealing the mandate won't do anything about the teaching hospitals' rates or how they play hardball on reimbursement.

Certainly, any cost overrun is a problem at a time where Massachusetts can't even afford its regular obligations.

My main gripe, though, is with the mandate part. The mandate was put there solely to force a decrease in rates. If it can't do that, then why have a mandate? To make the middle class feel good that a law passed under the guise of helping them out did nothing for them but impose a potential penalty?
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2010, 09:37:42 AM »

FWIW, I heard Cahill talking with Michael Graham yesterday on WTKK about the disasterous implications of "Obamacare." It sounds like he's making a serious play for the mainstream Republican vote, trying to edge Baker out of the game. Smart move, though it does make you laugh at the current state and mindset of the Massachusetts electorate.

Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2010, 09:43:26 AM »

FWIW, I heard Cahill talking with Michael Graham yesterday on WTKK about the disasterous implications of "Obamacare." It sounds like he's making a serious play for the mainstream Republican vote, trying to edge Baker out of the game. Smart move, though it does make you laugh at the current state and mindset of the Massachusetts electorate.

He's now claiming he voted for McCain in '08. This is getting very interesting.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2010, 09:52:52 AM »

He's now claiming he voted for McCain in '08. This is getting very interesting.

That's a very small piece of the pie he's chasing after!
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2010, 11:04:37 AM »

Wow Cahill is quite the DINO. I'd vote for Baker over him in IRV.

Seriously how does claiming you voted for McCain help in Massachusetts?
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2010, 11:45:50 AM »

All I can think is that it prevents him from having to explain why he's criticizing Obama up, down, and sideways after having voted for him, instead of being a virtue in itself.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2010, 12:44:04 PM »

To be a DINO, Cahill would still need to be a Democrat.

In all seriousness, though, the strategy is to basically pick up enough GOP support to turn this into a two candidate race, leading all rational voters to abandon Baker as a sure loser. If Cahill can do that, he wins.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2010, 12:52:10 PM »

Hm, not bad. As I have said already, I would vote for Cahill over Baker--of course, that is partly because Cahill is pretty conservative for a (former) Democrat, but also because Charlie Baker, from what I know, is a Weld Republican.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2010, 08:52:47 AM »

Just some more general news about Massachusetts:

State Senator Steve Panagiotakos (D-Lowell) announced that he's going to be retiring from his seat in the First Middlesex district. It's one of the more Republican-leaning districts in the state. Brown won the district by 16%.

FIRST MIDDLESEX. — Lowell, Dunstable, Groton, Pepperell, Tyngsborough and Westford.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2010, 09:19:32 AM »

The Globe this morning: the Republicans have picked up on Cahill's strategy of trying to knock Baker out of the race and are firing back. The RGA has gotten involved, slamming Cahill. He looks to have some conflict of interests issues with donors to his campaign also underwriting state bonds.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2010, 07:57:34 AM »

Sarah Palin led a teabagger rally in Boston.

Conspicuous no-shows: Scott Brown (no thank yous for the money?), Charlie Baker, Richard Tisei.

Proud attendees: Tim Cahill, Christy Mihos. I'm worried Cahill's going to invest our pension funds with Goldline next.

Baker was very cautious in what he said about Palin in his statement.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #45 on: April 13, 2010, 08:05:51 AM »

Not sure why the media is trying to manufacture a story out of Brown not going to a Tea Party rally. What's the story there? Should we really have expected him to ditch a senate session to hold a sign for an hour?

Damned if you do and damned if you don't, eh guys?
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #46 on: April 13, 2010, 11:10:41 AM »

I don't think he's "damned"--it was unequivocally the right thing for him to do, politically. Ultimately he owes them nothing.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #47 on: April 13, 2010, 11:53:59 AM »

Why is the establishment supporting a Republican for Governor?
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #48 on: April 13, 2010, 11:59:41 AM »

I don't think he's "damned"--it was unequivocally the right thing for him to do, politically. Ultimately he owes them nothing.

Well, the Herald is trying its best to cause trouble for him. Why, I don't know.

I heard no fewer than three talk radio hosts on WTKK defending Brown yesterday at various parts of my commute.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #49 on: April 13, 2010, 04:09:29 PM »

Why is the establishment supporting a Republican for Governor?

They find Deval Patrick horrid to work with, while Baker has a long and positive record in government from the 90s.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies