How come Gore lost NH in 2000?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:17:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2000 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  How come Gore lost NH in 2000?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How come Gore lost NH in 2000?  (Read 6106 times)
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 27, 2010, 02:01:46 AM »

Other than the Nader vote and Gore running a poor campaign, were there any other reasons why Gore lost in NH in 2000?
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 02:41:52 AM »

New Hampshire was a traditionally Republican state and Nader took away enough votes to keep Gore away from victory.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 11:47:50 AM »

Bush's reputation as a relatively moderate Republican was still intact, hence helping explain why he did relatively well in upper New England that year (VT, NH, and ME). Plus the gun control issue probably didn't help Gore any in these states (and its salience as a political issue probably peaked in 2000).
Sasquatch

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -8.52

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 05:23:38 PM »

I think the biggest mistake of the Gore campaign.  If he spent half of the time he did in Florida on New Hampshire instead, he'd win NH and the election.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2010, 05:25:15 PM »

Bush's reputation as a relatively moderate Republican was still intact, hence helping explain why he did relatively well in upper New England that year (VT, NH, and ME). Plus the gun control issue probably didn't help Gore any in these states (and its salience as a political issue probably peaked in 2000).

You mean Bush I? Bush Jr. didn't seem to have that moderate thing going at all...
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2010, 06:03:31 PM »

You mean Bush I? Bush Jr. didn't seem to have that moderate thing going at all...

Maybe people associated Bush Jr. with Bush Sr. (even though Jr. acted more conservative).
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2010, 09:05:45 PM »

Maybe people associated Bush Jr. with Bush Sr. (even though Jr. acted more conservative).

Bush was perceived as fairly moderate, yet still conservative in 2000.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2010, 09:14:43 PM »

Like McCain was?
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2010, 09:25:57 PM »

Like McCain was?

I thought McCain was perceived as semi-RINOish.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2010, 12:21:22 PM »

Well he never had it as much as his father (hence why he did much worse than his dad in the Northeast), but in 2000 he was perceived as relatively moderate ("compassionate conservatism", "a uniter not a divider", etc).
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2010, 12:28:31 PM »

Gore did not try as much as he should have. If he would have tried, and would have not took everything for granted he would have won.
Conservative frontier
JC
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2010, 03:36:39 PM »

Al Gore was the democratic Nominee.
Guderian

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2010, 04:13:11 PM »

New Hampshire is a swing state that can go either way in a close national election and 22,198 leftists in the state were too immature to vote like adults.
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2016, 07:53:46 PM »
« Edited: May 07, 2016, 04:38:46 PM by Speaker Kent »

Are you seriously bumping a six-year old thread to continue your anti-New Hampshire GOP "crusade"?
Asian Nazi
d32123
China

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2016, 07:56:25 PM »

Are you seriously bumping a six-year thread to continue your anti-New Hampshire GOP "crusade"?

Are you seriously still pretending that you're not going to vote for Trump in November?
sg0508
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2016, 05:49:56 PM »

John McCain.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2016, 08:10:03 AM »

Pretty simple.  Gore gave up on New Hampshire after the primary.  He literally made only ONE campaign visit there in the general election race.  By not putting more resources into the state, he basically handed it to Bush.

And don't blame Nader, either.  The statewide exit polls in NH showed Nader taking significantly more votes from Bush than from Gore.
TonyP63
United States

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2017, 08:11:50 PM »

Sadf!
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2017, 07:31:37 PM »

No Child Left Behind, support for the Assaul Weapons Ban, Medicare Part D, etc.
morgankingsley
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2017, 07:56:23 PM »

I am more interested on how Gore lost his own home state.
super6646
Canada

« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2017, 05:13:46 PM »

New Hampshire is a swing state that can go either way in a close national election and 22,198 leftists in the state were too immature to vote like adults.

So voting for the candidate of your choice is childish?
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2017, 05:50:11 PM »

I am more interested on how Gore lost his own home state.

The state simply moved rightwards of him and polarization was beginning to take effect even then.

No one would've expected Paul Ryan to defeat Obama in Wisconsin, no would've expected John Edwards to win North Carolina against Bush.
Lord Wreath
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: 8.92, S: -4.51

« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2017, 05:32:57 PM »

I'm surprised no one's mentioned this but doesn't NH have a reputation for a mild ('non-interventionist') tack in foreign affairs which aligned with Bush's criticism of the Clinton administration's policy of nation-building? A large part of of the reason the state flipped in 2004.
Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2017, 09:01:14 PM »

Bush was moderate also and NH was historically a red state.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies