How come Reagan won in a 49-state landslide in 1984?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:21:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  How come Reagan won in a 49-state landslide in 1984?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: How come Reagan won in a 49-state landslide in 1984?  (Read 6589 times)
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 28, 2010, 10:26:52 PM »
« edited: February 28, 2010, 11:56:15 PM by Chester Alan Arthur »

Sure, the economy was good and hyperinflation was defeated, and also Reagan was charismatic. However, Mondale was a very experienced and qualified opponent. How come Reagan managed to win such a huge landslide that year? I would have expected Mondale to win at least several states due to his qualifications and the Democratic base voting for him. I mean, in 1972, Nixon managed to protray McGovern as an extremist, but Reagan enver tried to do that to Mondale (or so I think).
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 10:35:44 PM »

Mondale was a piece of crap.
The Age Wave
silent_spade07
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -2.43

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 10:41:30 PM »

He chose not to campaign in Minnesota.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2010, 10:45:43 PM »

Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2010, 10:51:14 PM »

lol. Why, though?
The Age Wave
silent_spade07
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -2.43

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2010, 10:54:29 PM »

Because a 50 state landslide would be too humiliating for Mondale.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2010, 10:58:05 PM »

Yeah; Reagan was quite noble in that sense.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2010, 11:01:37 PM »

Wow. I neer saw the words Reagan and noble together before. Probably because it's an oxymoron. I get your point though.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2010, 11:04:30 PM »

Wow. I neer saw the words Reagan and noble together before. Probably because it's an oxymoron. I get your point though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reagan_Noble
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2010, 11:06:14 PM »

ROTFLSH
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2010, 11:24:30 PM »
« Edited: February 28, 2010, 11:29:57 PM by Mechahead »

The amazing part of the election of 1984 (from what I've seen from old youtube videos) wasn't that Reagan won 49 of 50 states, but that he didn't win Minnesota.
I mean I always found Mondale to be a great speaker but against the Reagan Machine, God himself couldn't beat him.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2010, 11:32:15 PM »

The amazing part of the election of 1984 (from what I've seen from old youtube videos) wasn't that Reagan won 49 of 50 states, but that he didn't win Minnesota.
I mean I always found Mondale to be a great speaker but against the Reagan Machine, God himself couldn't beat him.
Yeah, I youtube'd some election footage from that night and everyone thought he'd win Minnesota.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2010, 12:18:41 AM »

Mr. Reagan will raise taxes, and so will I. He won't tell you. I just did.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2010, 08:12:55 AM »

Yeah, I youtube'd some election footage from that night and everyone thought he'd win Minnesota.

Close states
Margin of victory less than 5%[18][19]

1.Minnesota, 0.18%

Just... ouch.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2010, 08:19:19 AM »

Close states
Margin of victory less than 5%[18][19]

1.Minnesota, 0.18%

Just... ouch.

I know.
After Reagan won more than 50% in Massachusetts and Rhode Island (where he lost by a ten point margin in 1980), I think most people would've assumed he would've had a wash.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2010, 09:33:55 AM »

You forget Mondale was vice president under Carter. That alone did him in, because Carter was still remembered by the voters.

The bigger question, as mentioned before, is why Reagan did not win 50 states. I would say Reagan just decided to spare Mondale a 50 state loss.
perdedor

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2010, 11:20:46 AM »

Carter->Mondale, that's that general idea of the 84 election.

Needless to say, Mondale was more qualified to be President than Reagan (arguably more so than Carter). It's just the nature of our populous. Who's going to take a policy wonk from a Democratic administration that was successfully portrayed as a failure over Ronald Reagan™?
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2010, 12:05:26 AM »

Needless to say, Mondale was more qualified to be President than Reagan (arguably more so than Carter). It's just the nature of our populous. Who's going to take a policy wonk from a Democratic administration that was successfully portrayed as a failure over Ronald Reagan™?

Mondale was not qualified to be the local dog-catcher.
perdedor

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2010, 09:41:13 AM »

Roll Eyes

Never one to elaborate, eh Libertas?
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2010, 09:49:51 AM »

I guess I'll put my two cents in.

Indeed, the Carter effect hurt Mondale...imagine if Quayle ran against Clinton in '96 for example. Also, the 1980s were a complete reversal of the liberalism of that previous two decades, helping Reagan and Bush quite a bit.

But above all, it came down to campaigns. Ronald Reagan and George Bush ran a great campaign, and Mondale ran a campaign of fear (nuclear bombs exploding in space), and a strong liberal agenda (opening saying he's raising taxes) and promoting things from a nuclear freeze to running anti-business/corporation ads in a decade which was booming with business (Think "Wall Street").

Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2010, 10:07:06 AM »

Roll Eyes

You didn't elaborate on why Mondale was more qualified than Reagan and Carter, so why should I have to?
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -9.91

« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2010, 10:07:55 AM »

Roll Eyes

You didn't elaborate on why Mondale was more qualified than Reagan and Carter, so why should I have to?

Nor would you. I haven't the slightest you'd have stood in line with all the other drones to vote the straight Republican ticket in 1980.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2010, 10:09:33 AM »

Roll Eyes

Nor would you. I haven't the slightest you'd have stood in line with all the other drones to vote the straight Republican ticket in 1980.

This is about election 1984, where I would certainly have voted Libertarian.

If it were Reagan vs. Mondale though, of course I would choose Reagan over that clown.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2010, 10:13:46 AM »

Roll Eyes

This is about election 1984, where I would certainly have voted Libertarian.

If it were Reagan vs. Mondale though, of course I would choose Reagan over that clown.

[waiting for Einzige to accuse you of fake libertarianism]
perdedor

« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2010, 04:14:32 PM »

Roll Eyes

I feel as though the my assertion is obvious. Mondale having an extensive political resume, including becoming Minnesota's AG at the age of 32, serving on several committees (and chairing several sub-committees) during his tenure in the Senate, and transforming the Vice-Presidency into a position of actual importance. This piled on top of the fact that Mondale was substantially more knowledgeable about issues than Reagan and it showed in the debates. Now, seeing as how I have elaborated on my position, would you like to do the same?
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies