Supermajorities
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:15:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Supermajorities
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Supermajorities  (Read 2742 times)
Emsworth
Lord Emsworth
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 13, 2004, 10:17:24 AM »
« edited: March 13, 2004, 01:16:46 PM by Emsworth »

The current supermajority in the Senate (for the purpose of expelling members, passing amendments, overriding vetoes, ec.) is two-thirds, or 7 Senators. I propose that we increase it to three-fourths or four-fifths. In the former case, the supermajority would be 7.5 Senators (rounded to 8) and in the latter it would just be 8 Senators.
Demrepdan

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2004, 01:41:24 PM »
« Edited: March 13, 2004, 01:42:06 PM by Demrepdan »

The current supermajority in the Senate (for the purpose of expelling members, passing amendments, overriding vetoes, ec.) is two-thirds, or 7 Senators. I propose that we increase it to three-fourths or four-fifths. In the former case, the supermajority would be 7.5 Senators (rounded to Cool and in the latter it would just be 8 Senators.

Not all Senators may be there when the vote is called. The Senate only need a majority of it's member's to pass a bill....or......6 members. In real life that is all that is needed....is a majority (51 Senators). And I think we should keep it to 2/3.....we'd be lucky to have 7 Senators agree to something...but to have 8?! That's all but 2....and I don't think we'll that much common ground....there may be stubborn Senators out there......
dunn

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2004, 04:17:06 PM »

I agree
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies