Nixon with a Catholic running mate in 1960 - insanity or a good idea?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 10:07:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Nixon with a Catholic running mate in 1960 - insanity or a good idea?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Nixon with a Catholic running mate in 1960 - insanity or a good idea?  (Read 969 times)
Guderian

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 05, 2010, 04:55:54 AM »

As we all know, Kennedy won one of the tightest presidential elections ever in 1960, and he would have surely lost if he hadn't have swept almost 90% of the Catholic vote. Catholic votes were divided about 50-50 between Eisenhower and Stevenson in two previous elections. For all the "can a Catholic be elected President" talk that was dominant in 1960 I think JFK's religion was a huge factor playing in his favor, since many Catholics that were otherwise Republican-leaning voted that year for him, partially because they wanted to see one of their own elected President and partially because they wanted to stick it to the anti-Catholic Protestants. It was a huge obstacle for Nixon obviously, to see his opponent with an entire swing-voting bloc in his lap. Now, the question is, what if Nixon picked a Catholic running mate (I'm not sure who would qualify - maybe Bill Miller who ran 4 years later with Goldwater)? Would he win more Catholics than he would lose anti-Catholics?
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 07:33:01 AM »

As a Catholic, I'm not a big JFK fan, but I doubt Catholics would have fallen for that sort of ruse from Richard Nixon.
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2010, 01:00:32 AM »

I think it would have "helped" Nixon the same way Palin "helped" McCain.  Blatant pandering gets you no where.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2010, 06:30:24 AM »

Bad idea.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to: