The Imperial Dominion of the South's Legislature
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:06:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Imperial Dominion of the South's Legislature
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46 47 ... 170
Author Topic: The Imperial Dominion of the South's Legislature  (Read 297512 times)
Mr. Taft Republican
Taft4Prez
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1025 on: January 04, 2011, 09:50:54 PM »

While we're thinking infrastructure, can we get some three-lane highways? Everywhere?
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1026 on: January 04, 2011, 10:02:36 PM »

While we're thinking infrastructure, can we get some three-lane highways? Everywhere?
We just passed a massive infrastructure bill a page or two back allocating lump sums of federal funds to the states for precisely defined infrastructure categories.  I'm sure the states will make some of those now Wink

PiT, I'm not a good numbers person, though I doubt this will take up more than a fraction of our budget.  If all we're doing is renovating a select few buildings though I wouldn't think it would take more than $1 million, $5 million tops.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1027 on: January 04, 2011, 10:25:19 PM »

We just passed a massive infrastructure bill a page or two back allocating lump sums of federal funds to the states for precisely defined infrastructure categories.  I'm sure the states will make some of those now Wink

PiT, I'm not a good numbers person, though I doubt this will take up more than a fraction of our budget.  If all we're doing is renovating a select few buildings though I wouldn't think it would take more than $1 million, $5 million tops.

But it might be convenient to plan out any new interstate highways on the regional level. That would be a good place for us to come up with something.

I was looking at the GSA website & I noticed that there are dozens of federal buildings. If we assume every city with a federal building has a regional building as well, we could renovate all of them, which would cost quite a bit. However, I don't think we could justify that expenditure according to any of the categories laid out.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1028 on: January 05, 2011, 06:51:11 PM »

But it might be convenient to plan out any new interstate highways on the regional level. That would be a good place for us to come up with something.

I was looking at the GSA website & I noticed that there are dozens of federal buildings. If we assume every city with a federal building has a regional building as well, we could renovate all of them, which would cost quite a bit. However, I don't think we could justify that expenditure according to any of the categories laid out.
How about $7 million?  I took the below quote from the GSA website...

You must be logged in to read this quote.

And divided 354 million by five and rounded down to 70 million and then assumed that each square foot costs 10 cents to renovate.  It's a very rough figure when you consider that not every square foot will be renovated but some will cost much more than 10 cents but I don't think it is too far off the mark.

As to highways, if anyone has a specific highway they would like to propose feel free to do so.  Should take the money out of the slush fund we just gave to the states or this new stack of cash coming down the tube?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1029 on: January 05, 2011, 11:02:38 PM »

And divided 354 million by five and rounded down to 70 million and then assumed that each square foot costs 10 cents to renovate.  It's a very rough figure when you consider that not every square foot will be renovated but some will cost much more than 10 cents but I don't think it is too far off the mark.

As to highways, if anyone has a specific highway they would like to propose feel free to do so.  Should take the money out of the slush fund we just gave to the states or this new stack of cash coming down the tube?

I think we should take the money that we have not handed down to the states. The purpose of sending the sum we did to them was to let them decide what projects to spend it on, after all.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1030 on: January 06, 2011, 05:40:58 PM »

I think we should take the money that we have not handed down to the states. The purpose of sending the sum we did to them was to let them decide what projects to spend it on, after all.
Right.  So is $7 million ok?  And do any of our other legislators want to draft this bill?  I pulled a muscle in my neck so typing is slow and painful.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1031 on: January 07, 2011, 01:07:00 AM »

$7 million seems alright. I would draft it myself, but I am pretty busy these days. Sorry.
SvenssonRS
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.39, S: -4.35

« Reply #1032 on: January 08, 2011, 05:38:21 PM »

With deepest apologies, I announce my resignation from the legislature. Although you've all been great, this forum has effectively lost all meaning to me.

It was fun while it lasted. Smiley
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1033 on: January 08, 2011, 09:08:25 PM »

With deepest apologies, I announce my resignation from the legislature. Although you've all been great, this forum has effectively lost all meaning to me.

It was fun while it lasted. Smiley
Sorry to see you go.  Will you still be hanging around in the other Atlas boards?
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1034 on: January 09, 2011, 11:34:05 AM »

There is something to get us started.  I'll PM Miles, in the meantime, Emperor (or any other IDS citizen), do you have anything to add?
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1035 on: January 10, 2011, 11:58:10 AM »

FWI, if there aren't any comments by the end of the day I will put this up to vote.

PiT, if there is only one vote for it but no votes against and no Lt. Governor to cast a tiebreaker what happens?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1036 on: January 10, 2011, 10:57:18 PM »

FWI, if there aren't any comments by the end of the day I will put this up to vote.

PiT, if there is only one vote for it but no votes against and no Lt. Governor to cast a tiebreaker what happens?

That would depend on what we take to be a quorum. Since we have not stated otherwise, I assume that it would be a majority of seated members, as is the tradition of legislative bodies in the United States. Exactly half is not a majority, so the vote would fail to attain a quorum & automatically fail.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #1037 on: January 11, 2011, 03:26:05 AM »

I'm trying to think of something else to put my name on. Any ideas? Tongue
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1038 on: January 11, 2011, 08:49:00 AM »

Well, if you resigned from the Senate to work in the legislature you'd have a lot better chance of getting Duke Expressway's, Duke Memorials, etc.  You could also call yourself Darth Duke.  Wink
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #1039 on: January 11, 2011, 03:46:03 PM »

Well, if you resigned from the Senate to work in the legislature you'd have a lot better chance of getting Duke Expressway's, Duke Memorials, etc.  You could also call yourself Darth Duke.  Wink

I think it's more fun to funnel federal money to the South using my Senate seat! Tongue

Maybe I'll run for a Legislature seat when I retire from the Senate.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1040 on: January 11, 2011, 10:02:37 PM »
« Edited: January 12, 2011, 09:23:16 AM by Imperial Speaker Yelnoc »

Welcome GPORTER to the IDS Legislature.  I will leave the debate on the below bill open for another day before putting it up to vote now that you're here.

Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1041 on: January 12, 2011, 01:52:59 AM »

Indeed, I thought our discussion generated a figure closer to $7 million. We might want to go somewhat higher for cushioning, but I don't think we should be committing $7 billion to renovating buildings.

Furthermore, we ought to specify the source of the federal money & specify that it was disbursed to the region. Otherwise the bill could be challenged as unconstitutional, since it might look like we are attempting to impose ourselves on the federal government.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1042 on: January 12, 2011, 09:25:09 AM »

Oops, that was a typo.  How about this?

Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1043 on: January 13, 2011, 01:35:29 AM »

I made a small typographical correction.

It occurred to me though that a certain amount must be allotted to the salaries of those who work on the renovation project. With that in mind, 10 cents per square foot seems a bit low.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1044 on: January 13, 2011, 10:14:09 AM »

I made a small typographical correction.

It occurred to me though that a certain amount must be allotted to the salaries of those who work on the renovation project. With that in mind, 10 cents per square foot seems a bit low.
Wouldn't that be included under the $7 million "renovation" dollars?
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1045 on: January 13, 2011, 08:25:24 PM »

I still believe that there are better ways to spend seven million dollars. These buildings that supposedly need to be renovated, they can wait while the economy is in the tank. When the economy gets out of the tank and we can have prosperiety again, we can come back to those buildings.

Maybe at that time, we will have more money than just the stimulius money to spend on renovations and other improvements. Lets expand our thinking and be more mature in the ways that we spend our money. I still plan to vote no for this bill.
Well than, what do you propose to do with the money given to us by the federal government?  This is their second stimulus, the first one we used to revitalize infrastructure so that's out.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1046 on: January 14, 2011, 08:08:43 AM »

We could just send another bill to the states with more money to fix the roads, highways, & dams of the region.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1047 on: January 14, 2011, 09:45:45 AM »

We could just send another bill to the states with more money to fix the roads, highways, & dams of the region.
They don't need anymore money.  We just, a week or two ago, gave each state tens of millions (or was it billions) of dollars for that.  Any more money we give them will turn into Highways To Nowhere. 

I still think renovating government buildings is a decent idea; they have been decaying since they were built decades, in some cases centuries ago. 
Mr. Taft Republican
Taft4Prez
United States

« Reply #1048 on: January 14, 2011, 01:57:48 PM »

You could expand education and social services. This gives people jobs that don't just disappear, such as would be the case with building projects. Teachers, police officers, etc. their jobs don't just go away.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1049 on: January 14, 2011, 07:46:36 PM »

Remember this is just a small piece of the new stimulus.  GPORTER, if you  have a bill you want to propose please draft one.  Taft4Prez, that's a good idea.  General question: should we pass these things together in one bill or in separate ones?
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46 47 ... 170  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies