The Imperial Dominion of the South's Legislature
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 08:40:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Imperial Dominion of the South's Legislature
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47 48 ... 170
Author Topic: The Imperial Dominion of the South's Legislature  (Read 297750 times)
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1050 on: January 14, 2011, 11:28:42 PM »

We could just send another bill to the states with more money to fix the roads, highways, & dams of the region.
They don't need anymore money.  We just, a week or two ago, gave each state tens of millions (or was it billions) of dollars for that.  Any more money we give them will turn into Highways To Nowhere. 

I still think renovating government buildings is a decent idea; they have been decaying since they were built decades, in some cases centuries ago. 

It was in millions. Besides, how likely do you think that is? $80 million to update & expand upon every piece of infrastructure in the state of Texas, for example?
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1051 on: January 15, 2011, 11:36:45 AM »

We could just send another bill to the states with more money to fix the roads, highways, & dams of the region.
They don't need anymore money.  We just, a week or two ago, gave each state tens of millions (or was it billions) of dollars for that.  Any more money we give them will turn into Highways To Nowhere. 

I still think renovating government buildings is a decent idea; they have been decaying since they were built decades, in some cases centuries ago. 

It was in millions. Besides, how likely do you think that is? $80 million to update & expand upon every piece of infrastructure in the state of Texas, for example?
Alright, alright.  If someone has a bill then draft it.  I'll be busy for the next few days but I'll try to get on to put it up to vote before long.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1052 on: January 16, 2011, 01:10:52 AM »

Seven million was only used because Speaker Yelnoc estimated that as the cost of fully renovating the regional buildings. To retain that figure for an altogether different purpose would be quite arbitrary.

Not to mention that the federal bill will have already apportioned money by purpose, my main concern with the original proposal being that renovating regional buildings does not really fall under any of those specified purposes.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1053 on: January 16, 2011, 04:16:06 PM »

Seven million was only used because Speaker Yelnoc estimated that as the cost of fully renovating the regional buildings. To retain that figure for an altogether different purpose would be quite arbitrary.

Not to mention that the federal bill will have already apportioned money purpose, my main concern with the original proposal being that renovating regional buildings does not really fall under any of those specified purposes.
The bill that I proposed gives the proposed amount of money to different groups, not just one thing. That is what I found attractive about the idea.

But my point is that there is no real reason to retain the proposed amount of money if you're going to commit it to a different purpose. Committing $7,000,000 here is completely arbitrary & probably completely ineffectual as well.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1054 on: January 16, 2011, 09:13:13 PM »

From here:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1055 on: January 16, 2011, 09:51:04 PM »

Sponsored for PiT.  I'll vote no as of now.

[/quote]

So, can someone remind me what we need to do with the below bill.  We got completely sidetracked....

Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1056 on: January 16, 2011, 10:31:22 PM »

Given the small size of the Legislature, there's no real point in sponsoring it if you won't support it. I appreciate it, though.

Anyway, we need to figure out how to distribute this money, exactly. The amount specified by 4B is not a problem since we passed a bill some months ago creating a tax credit for lower & middle-class students going to institutions of higher learning.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1057 on: January 17, 2011, 08:24:16 PM »

Given the small size of the Legislature, there's no real point in sponsoring it if you won't support it. I appreciate it, though.

Anyway, we need to figure out how to distribute this money, exactly. The amount specified by 4B is not a problem since we passed a bill some months ago creating a tax credit for lower & middle-class students going to institutions of higher learning.
Well then how about we peel the $7 million off the education fund since we will be "reeducating the buildings"?  Something like this.

[/quote]
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1058 on: January 17, 2011, 11:39:13 PM »

Well then how about we peel the $7 million off the education fund since we will be "reeducating the buildings"?  Something like this.

[/quote]

What if we devote a certain amount of the renovated space to employment training for workers laid off from jobs in declining industries?
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1059 on: January 18, 2011, 04:00:43 PM »

What if we devote a certain amount of the renovated space to employment training for workers laid off from jobs in declining industries?
[/quote]

Ok.  How is the below?  I increased the renovation fund by $3 million to pay for the training.  Do we need to define "declining industries"?

[/quote]
[/quote]
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1060 on: January 18, 2011, 06:04:48 PM »

I actually meant that we would dedicate the renovated space to the purposes outlined by 4A. I think I'll try to draw something up tonight to also deal with clauses 1, 2, & 3.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1061 on: January 19, 2011, 01:38:01 AM »
« Edited: January 19, 2011, 07:56:17 PM by Emperor PiT »

How about this:

Regional Stimulus Distribution Bill

This bill shall be passed into law concerning the funds disbursed to the Imperial Dominion of the South pursuant to Section 2, Subsection e of the 2010 Federal Stimulus Act. All Clause numbers given in this bill shall refer to the Clauses passed into law under the aforementioned Act, Section, and Subsection.

1. From Clause 1 of the bill,
     a. $1,000,000,000 shall be distributed to the states of the region for the purposes outlined by the Clause in question, in the same ratios as prescribed by Section 2 of the III Act.
     b. From Clause 1 of the bill, $4,000,000,000 shall be distributed to the regional Department of Transportation, to be dedicated to the construction, retrofitting, & maintenance of interstate bridges and highways.

2. From Clause 2 of the bill, $3,000,000,000 shall be distributed to the states of the region for the purposes outlined by the clause in question, in the same ratios as prescribed by Section 2 of the III Act.

3. From Clause 3 of the bill, $2,000,000,000 shall be distributed to the states of the region for the purposes outlined by the clause in question, in the same ratios as prescribed by Section 2 of the III Act.

4. From Clause 4, Sub-Clause A of the bill,
     a. $10,000,000 shall be devoted to the renovation of the Regional Buildings throughout the region.
     b. $990,000,000 shall be disbursed to the regional Department of Labor for the establishment of a regional worker retraining program that will make use of the space renovated pursuant to Section 4a of this bill.
     c. $2,000,000,000 shall be disbursed to the states of the region for the purposes outlined in the clause and sub-clause in question in the following manner:
  • Alabama: $93,000,000
  • Arkansas: $49,700,000
  • Florida: $487,700,000
  • Georgia: $211,300,000
  • Louisiana: $80,300,000
  • Mississippi: $63,400,000
  • North Carolina: $199,500,000
  • Puerto Rico: $134,800,000
  • South Carolina: $105,900,000
  • Tennessee: $128,900,000
  • Texas: $445,500,000

5. From Clause 4, Sub-Clause B of the bill, $2,000,000,000 shall be disbursed to the regional Department of Education to be used in conjunction with the Southeastern Educational Incentive Act.     
     a. An additional tax credit shall be addended and made disbursed to all students who qualify for a tax credit under the Southeastern Educational Incentive Act.
     b. The value of this tax credit shall equal 50% of the value of the tax credit that the students in question are entitled to under the Southeastern Educational Incentive Act and be disbursed to students in order of increasing annual income after charitable and other deductions.
     c. Once the funds supplied by the relevant clause and sub-clause of the bill have been depleted, the continued disbursement of this tax credit shall be terminated immediately.

I am pretty tired right now, so I won't be surprised if there are a bunch of errors in here. I request that anyone who wishes to do so look over the bill in question.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1062 on: January 19, 2011, 06:55:00 PM »

That's great; I didn't spot any mistakes.  GPORTER, you have until tonight to look over this bill and propose any changes, otherwise I will put it to a 24 hour vote.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1063 on: January 20, 2011, 05:58:15 PM »

The below bill will now go to vote which will last for twenty-four hours.

Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1064 on: January 20, 2011, 05:58:38 PM »

Aye.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1065 on: January 22, 2011, 11:22:25 AM »

The Regional Stimulus Distribution Bill passes and is awaiting your signature, Governor PiT.

BTW, I'm out of town and won't have regular internet access until Monday.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1066 on: January 22, 2011, 01:43:17 PM »

On the Regional Stimulus Distribution Bill: by the powers vested in me as Emperor of this region, I thus sign it into law.

Be it resolved, X Emperor PiT
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1067 on: January 24, 2011, 06:05:05 PM »
« Edited: January 24, 2011, 06:09:10 PM by Imperial Speaker Yelnoc »

Does anyone have a proposal?

EDIT:
Sorry guys, I forgot about the elections.  My grandparents just got a divorce and so I have been moving things for them.  Anyway, I suppose it's time to elect a speaker.  I'd like to throw my hat in the ring for reelection.  Also, is it constitutional for Duke to be both a senator and Viceroy?
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1068 on: January 25, 2011, 07:56:55 PM »

I'm pretty sure that my emergency Viceroy powers do not carry over to the next legislative secession.  Since we don't have a Viceroy (Duke is ineligible) we need to hold a special primary ASAP.  In the meantime, PiT, would you mind opening up the vote for Imperial Speaker?  tb75 and GPORTER, if you want to be the IS speak up or forever hold your peace.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1069 on: January 25, 2011, 09:24:05 PM »

By tradition, you can remain Imperial Speaker (& therefore acting Viceroy) indefinitely. I once did so for two months due to the election of a Viceroy who never took the office. Besides, holding another special election would not help because there simply isn't anyone willing to assume the office in question. We need to try to recruit someone to join the region (preferably someone who resides in one of the states of this region in real life).

At any rate, I will permit 48 hours, starting right now, for the other Legislators to declare their interest in the Viceroyship. If either of them declare, then we can hold an election. I will assume that the incumbent Speaker intends to defend his Speakership unless he states otherwise.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1070 on: January 26, 2011, 09:19:26 AM »

By tradition, you can remain Imperial Speaker (& therefore acting Viceroy) indefinitely. I once did so for two months due to the election of a Viceroy who never took the office. Besides, holding another special election would not help because there simply isn't anyone willing to assume the office in question. We need to try to recruit someone to join the region (preferably someone who resides in one of the states of this region in real life).

At any rate, I will permit 48 hours, starting right now, for the other Legislators to declare their interest in the Viceroyship. If either of them declare, then we can hold an election. I will assume that the incumbent Speaker intends to defend his Speakership unless he states otherwise.
So the Speaker will continue to assume the duties of the Viceroy until such a time as a Viceroy is elected?  Sounds logical.  And yes, I will stand for reelection to this post.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1071 on: January 26, 2011, 01:00:54 PM »

So the Speaker will continue to assume the duties of the Viceroy until such a time as a Viceroy is elected?  Sounds logical.  And yes, I will stand for reelection to this post.

Indeed. If we can find someone who is willing to run for Viceroy within the next month, he can run in the February elections.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #1072 on: January 27, 2011, 10:41:04 AM »

So I'm most def not eligible? That's too bad. I already had my office set up.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1073 on: January 28, 2011, 12:10:00 PM »

Nobody has declared, so the speakership is uncontested.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1074 on: January 28, 2011, 05:43:50 PM »

Alright.  So we have a full legislature that will, hopefully, be bursting with activity.  Does anyone have a proposal?
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47 48 ... 170  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies