The Imperial Dominion of the South's Legislature
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 07:22:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Imperial Dominion of the South's Legislature
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49 50 ... 170
Author Topic: The Imperial Dominion of the South's Legislature  (Read 297727 times)
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1100 on: February 05, 2011, 10:52:33 PM »

Alright then.  I will put this up to vote before I go to sleep tonight to give tb75 and GPORTER some time to voice any objections.  In the meantime, where did you get your $630 billion figure from?

A GM report from Purple State's tenure as such. I know that there's a link to it somewhere in this topic, but good luck finding it in here.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1101 on: February 06, 2011, 01:11:18 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The above bill is now at vote and will remain so for twenty-four hours or until all Legislators have voted.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1102 on: February 06, 2011, 01:12:25 PM »

Aye
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1103 on: February 06, 2011, 01:14:59 PM »

Alright then.  I will put this up to vote before I go to sleep tonight to give tb75 and GPORTER some time to voice any objections.  In the meantime, where did you get your $630 billion figure from?

A GM report from Purple State's tenure as such. I know that there's a link to it somewhere in this topic, but good luck finding it in here.
Gah.  I'll get on it once the vote makes it official.  In the meantime, do you have any other leads?  You've been here a lot longer than I have.

If I have time I will try and categorize every bill passed by this legislative body into a spending report to help us determine our debt when we figure out our tax rate.  Once we've scraped every bit of information up we can use Georgia law like you suggested to fill in the gaps unless anyone objects.
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1104 on: February 06, 2011, 02:10:16 PM »

Aye
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1105 on: February 06, 2011, 02:20:09 PM »
« Edited: February 06, 2011, 02:21:47 PM by Emperor PiT »

Gah.  I'll get on it once the vote makes it official.  In the meantime, do you have any other leads?  You've been here a lot longer than I have.

If I have time I will try and categorize every bill passed by this legislative body into a spending report to help us determine our debt when we figure out our tax rate.  Once we've scraped every bit of information up we can use Georgia law like you suggested to fill in the gaps unless anyone objects.

There was one bill passed by the Legislature that created tax credits for college students. That might have affect the tax brackets, but that's all I can think of. Our region is one rather loathe to pass tax & spending increases as it were. The main issue is that we ought to get around to wiki-ing all of these bills at some point. I am pretty busy this weekend, though I can get started on it tonight.

We actually filled in the gaps a while ago. Where not provided for by statute, all law in the region is that of the state of Georgia from 2006. Unfortunately, I had difficulty finding anything on state tax rates prior to 2009, though I doubt there is much of a difference, if any.

Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1106 on: February 07, 2011, 05:52:43 PM »

The bill passes 2-1 and his awaiting your signature, Emperor PiT.

GPORTER, I put my name and PiT's on the bill because we seem to be the only people interested in this and I wanted to hold us accountable.  As to your concerns, see clause 3.

Sorry guys but I'm busy tonight and probably tomorrow night.  By this weekend I will hopefully have something to show.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1107 on: February 07, 2011, 08:22:09 PM »
« Edited: February 10, 2011, 02:49:49 PM by Emperor PiT »

On the Creation of a Budget Investigation Commission Act: by the powers vested in me as Emperor of this region, I thus sign it into law.

Be it resolved, X Emperor PiT
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1108 on: February 08, 2011, 01:13:34 PM »

You'd have to be explicit that such a thing is not an elected office. Maybe also reduce the qualifications, or at least make them more explicit (does it apply to federal elections, regional elections, or both?).
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1109 on: February 08, 2011, 05:22:55 PM »

You can take the "I am proposing" bit out of your bill; it's supposed to be written in third person.  As I have said before, I just put my name and PiT's on the last bill because we seem to be the only two people that care.  If anyone wants to help them just pipe up and if it matters to you we can get that bill amended.

Just to reiterate, this has been/is going to be a bad rl week for me.  Don't expect anything until the weekend.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1110 on: February 09, 2011, 06:48:07 PM »

You can take the "I am proposing" bit out of your bill; it's supposed to be written in third person.  As I have said before, I just put my name and PiT's on the last bill because we seem to be the only two people that care.  If anyone wants to help them just pipe up and if it matters to you we can get that bill amended.

Just to reiterate, this has been/is going to be a bad rl week for me.  Don't expect anything until the weekend.
Thats fine...I don't see anything wrong with offering people a chance to run for seats on the commission...I would ask you Mr. Speaker, you say that you and Pit were only put as co chairs because you two "seemed to be the only ones that cared..." Did you ask any others if they wanted to serve?
The "commission" was just a fancy way of holding us legally accountable.  As I said, anyone is welcome to serve but no one showed any interest.  If they aren't involved enough to read the legislative thread I doubt they care enough to do this kind of heavy lifting.

If you want your name on the bill you could have just said so.  Regardless, you are more than welcome to help Smiley
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1111 on: February 10, 2011, 03:10:46 PM »
« Edited: February 10, 2011, 05:10:43 PM by Emperor PiT »

If I may, I would like to see the bill amended to this:

Voice of the Citizen Bill

1. Coinciding with the next regularly scheduled regional election, a special election shall be held to select delegates for auxiliary seats on the regional Budget Investigation Commission.
     a. Voting shall be conducted via approval voting, with the three eligible candidates receiving the most preferences being selected.
     b. In order to be eligible for a seat on the Budget Investigation Commission, a candidate must have voted in the last four regularly scheduled regional elections and have been a registered citizen for at least six months prior to the beginning of the election.
2. Being a temporary commission with a well-defined endgoal, no seat on the Budget Investigation Commission may be interpreted as being a public office.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1112 on: February 10, 2011, 05:11:59 PM »

I realized that four regularly scheduled regional elections amounts to four months, so I also included a requirement that they have been a member of the region for six months. Requiring that they have been a member of the region for a year would put a significant burden on myself to track down the last registration of that person, going back a year.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1113 on: February 10, 2011, 05:15:12 PM »

I was thinking of this as like a committee or commission, similar to the "Ways and Means" committee in Congress, an organ of government not tied into direct Democracy.  A seat means nothing, there isn't even any prestige as we are only a couple of bookies.

PiT, would your bill replace the bill or amend it?  If the latter, could you fit it to the original?  In any event, this won't get off the ground until this weekend when I have some free time (unless someone else wants to do something), so I am going to wait and see if tb75 has anything to say before putting it up to a vote.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1114 on: February 10, 2011, 05:21:06 PM »

I was thinking of this as like a committee or commission, similar to the "Ways and Means" committee in Congress, an organ of government not tied into direct Democracy.  A seat means nothing, there isn't even any prestige as we are only a couple of bookies.

PiT, would your bill replace the bill or amend it?  If the latter, could you fit it to the original?  In any event, this won't get off the ground until this weekend when I have some free time (unless someone else wants to do something), so I am going to wait and see if tb75 has anything to say before putting it up to a vote.

If it's a permanent gig, somebody could sue arguing that the Commission seats amount to an office, denying us the utilization of any elected officials. Modelling it like a Convention was the best idea I had to head that off.

It would replace the original bill, though I think it still needs some tweaking. I looked at the last four elections & realized that by these criteria I'd be the only person in the region to actually qualify for a seat. Tongue
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1115 on: February 10, 2011, 05:40:39 PM »

If it's a permanent gig, somebody could sue arguing that the Commission seats amount to an office, denying us the utilization of any elected officials. Modelling it like a Convention was the best idea I had to head that off.

It would replace the original bill, though I think it still needs some tweaking. I looked at the last four elections & realized that by these criteria I'd be the only person in the region to actually qualify for a seat. Tongue
Then how about we stop going through all of this fuss about a "commission" or "convention" and make it an informal position?  Or we could do something like this:

Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1116 on: February 10, 2011, 05:44:35 PM »

I like the sound of that, though I think it would require us to repeal the last bill.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1117 on: February 10, 2011, 05:58:41 PM »

I like the sound of that, though I think it would require us to repeal the last bill.
*sigh*

Better?

Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1118 on: February 10, 2011, 06:04:02 PM »

I'm happy with it. I suggest giving it a day or so & seeing what your colleagues think of it.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1119 on: February 10, 2011, 06:07:48 PM »

Re-modified to include the position of the AG.

Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1120 on: February 10, 2011, 06:34:32 PM »

The bill sound good, i have no complaints
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1121 on: February 10, 2011, 10:33:22 PM »

And the bill goes to a vote.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1122 on: February 11, 2011, 04:40:58 PM »

Aye
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1123 on: February 11, 2011, 09:12:25 PM »

Aye
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1124 on: February 12, 2011, 09:11:54 AM »

The bill has passed 3-0 and is awaiting your signature Emperor PiT.
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49 50 ... 170  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies