The Imperial Dominion of the South's Legislature
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 02:09:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Imperial Dominion of the South's Legislature
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 92 93 94 [95] 96 97 98 99 100 ... 170
Author Topic: The Imperial Dominion of the South's Legislature  (Read 296901 times)
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2350 on: January 30, 2012, 01:33:17 PM »

There is one big problem I see with the vouchers bill, which is that the School Choice Initiative line item does not exist anymore. The law was repealed back in April 2011, & so the item has disappeared as of the 2012 official budget.
Mr. Taft Republican
Taft4Prez
United States

« Reply #2351 on: January 30, 2012, 01:47:31 PM »

Not having been there, that I can recall, I just have the question...

Why should the government take a role in deciding what school parents are allowed to send their child too?
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2352 on: January 30, 2012, 04:52:31 PM »

Ah, I'm sorry, I had meant for Clarence to give his intro before posting that.  Perhaps he could do that before further discusison?
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -1.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2353 on: January 30, 2012, 05:47:47 PM »

I oppose this fully. Government funded education should be in Government funded schools. If the problem is that Government funded schools are failing, the answer is not to say "jump off the boat" it's to say "lets fix it"
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2354 on: January 30, 2012, 07:26:48 PM »

PiT's problem witht he line item is one that I did not see-

In a general introduction... the public school system does not encourage innovation. Private schools offer smaller class sizes, more attention, better guidance counselors, better teachers- all around better. So right now we hvae those who can afford private schools getting a better education and those who can't not... this lets any one attend a private school without ruining them financially

The best solution to mediocrity is competition- there will still be public schools, but now there will be a proliferation of private schools who will compete over quaity and cost...it will save education

To answer questions- Taft, that is a great question and one that led me to write this

Teddy- the government contracts all the time. Boeing gets billions for planes and tankers every year from the govt- would you argue that instead government manufacturers ought to be doing that? There will be publics schools for those who want

Here is one more point- schools will not just compete over students but over teachers! This will result in higher teacher pay, better benefits, etc so schools can land the best teachers
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #2355 on: January 30, 2012, 08:40:31 PM »

Private schools are only better because they only accept the so-called "best", which is code for white males. I can not support this kind of discrimination.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2356 on: January 30, 2012, 09:22:25 PM »

Show me one school which has as its admission policy only accepting white males... your characterization of my bill as discrimination is not well taken, son

CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2357 on: January 30, 2012, 09:25:27 PM »

And by the way....consider that  private schools now are filled by the wealthy is because the poor cannot afford to pay the tuition- hence the purpose of my bill
Pingvin
Pingvin99
« Reply #2358 on: January 31, 2012, 01:30:48 AM »

School vouchers bill gets my full support, since it is one of the my main campaign points.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #2359 on: January 31, 2012, 03:40:51 AM »

I can not be 'swayed' on the issue. I oppose this for the reasons I outlined, and will  be voting nay when the time comes.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2360 on: January 31, 2012, 04:22:29 AM »

I can not be 'swayed' on the issue. I oppose this for the reasons I outlined, and will  be voting nay when the time comes.

Good to know we got mature folks here willing to debate and discuss the issues... you lost my respect when you accused me of discrimination

Mr. Speaker- I move to amend this legislation but including it as an additional line item rather then replacing th eSchool Initiative Act. With our surplus we can more then afford this
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #2361 on: January 31, 2012, 04:34:44 AM »

There is no reason to support vouchers in any manner. Private schools do no better than public schools once you take out the racism and classism. I have Autism, I might therefore be classified as "high needs". Many other "retards" like myself would be confined to the public system and I find that highly offensive. This kind of cream skimming is something that'll never get my support. To make it worse, there is no accountability to the taxpayer, no elected school boards, nothing. This is a repugnant idea, and the only reason I have no interest in debating it further is because I have no interest in attempting a filibuster.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2362 on: January 31, 2012, 04:40:29 AM »

There is no reason to support vouchers in any manner. Private schools do no better than public schools once you take out the racism and classism. I have Autism, I might therefore be classified as "high needs". Many other "retards" like myself would be confined to the public system and I find that highly offensive. This kind of cream skimming is something that'll never get my support. To make it worse, there is no accountability to the taxpayer, no elected school boards, nothing. This is a repugnant idea, and the only reason I have no interest in debating it further is because I have no interest in attempting a filibuster.

If you lived when there was actual systemized racism you wouldn't throw around that term like you do you douchebag- also consider the fact that there would be special needs private schools formed around getting the best teachers and practices for that type of education, just as there are now with certain charter schools. You lack an ounce of maturity and your accusations of racism and discrimination are highly offensive...you are the first person on this board I have interacted with who is not at least a little willing to consider new ideas. People have critcized the military and the country which has been offensive to me, but at the very least they were respectful and we had a discussion that left us both on good terms with mutual respect- that is NOT the case here. Grow up, kid
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #2363 on: January 31, 2012, 04:56:59 AM »

I'm not sure what's with the ad hominem attacks. Vouchers are a morally and ethnically repugnant idea. I'd be just as unwilling to listen if someone suggested going back to the days when homosexuality was a crime. I am however TRYING to be respectful in saying that I will oppose this and end the discussion at that. I will no longer debate this issue, and have had my say. I will return when it's time to vote.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2364 on: January 31, 2012, 05:00:36 AM »

I'm not sure what's with the ad hominem attacks. Vouchers are a morally and ethnically repugnant idea. I'd be just as unwilling to listen if someone suggested going back to the days when homosexuality was a crime. I am however TRYING to be respectful in saying that I will oppose this and end the discussion at that. I will no longer debate this issue, and have had my say. I will return when it's time to vote.

Ad hominen attacks? Racist/discrimination...that's an ad hominem attack you used that I take great issue with. Asserting I lack morals or ethics for putting forward this idea...you need to go to bed
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2365 on: January 31, 2012, 05:04:57 AM »

Ad hominen attacks? Racist/discrimination...that's an ad hominem attack you used that I take great issue with. Asserting I lack morals or ethics for putting forward this idea...you need to go to bed

The words "kid", "son", and "douchebag" aren't typically endearing and could even be considered unparliamentary. Since you're new and Teddy is unfamiliar, I hope that clarence can keep this in mind for future debates and Teddy can not hold a grudge, which he is more than capable of doing.

Hope I helped,
Senator Napoleon
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2366 on: January 31, 2012, 05:07:14 AM »

The words "kid", "son", and "douchebag" aren't typically endearing and could even be considered unparliamentary. Since you're new and Teddy is unfamiliar, I hope that clarence can keep this in mind for future debates and Teddy can not hold a grudge, which he is more than capable of doing.

Hope I helped,
Senator Napoleon

You didn't help Napoleon- youll find folks my age are a bit more sensitive to being accused of racism or discrimination and when a debate starts off like that I get a bit angry...only time I have gotten truly angry from something I have raed on this board
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2367 on: January 31, 2012, 05:16:50 AM »

Teddy reached out and we exchanged messages....any personal issue has been put to bed. Sorry for getting cranky at you Napoleon
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2368 on: January 31, 2012, 05:21:40 AM »

Good to hear Grin

I've had my fair share of heated debates and misunderstandings.
Mr. Taft Republican
Taft4Prez
United States

« Reply #2369 on: January 31, 2012, 09:07:41 AM »

Hot damn! Glad to see the legislature can overcome such greivances.

That being said I now understand the point of this bill, we need citizens that are well educated if the South is to continue as a great region, and improve. This also helps with teachers who might go back into the public system once it has un-screwed itself, so to speak. Alright, I'll yay it.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2370 on: January 31, 2012, 09:58:18 AM »

The regional budget surplus is around $4 billion now, IIRC. If we are going to spend surplus money to fund this, it will have to be scaled back dramatically, & I do mean dramatically. I would probably suggest axing some other spending item in order to free up more money to budget here.

Realistically though, you aren't going to get anywhere close to $56 billion to spend on this. Well, such is life.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2371 on: January 31, 2012, 10:02:52 AM »

Wait, why would it cost $56 billion?
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2372 on: January 31, 2012, 10:05:45 AM »

Wait, why would it cost $56 billion?

That is the max cost based on amount of citizens 5-18 and the max amount of $ they can get
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #2373 on: January 31, 2012, 01:37:55 PM »

if the money is NOT taken from the public system, AND we can slowly start to ramp this up, begining with high-needs students, then I might be able to support this.
Mr. Taft Republican
Taft4Prez
United States

« Reply #2374 on: January 31, 2012, 01:47:35 PM »

Maybe restrict the age or grade level to lower the maximum cost, that would help. Like say, from middle school to high school are eligeble?
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 92 93 94 [95] 96 97 98 99 100 ... 170  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies