The Imperial Dominion of the South's Legislature
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 09:20:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Imperial Dominion of the South's Legislature
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 116 117 118 [119] 120 121 122 123 124 ... 170
Author Topic: The Imperial Dominion of the South's Legislature  (Read 296866 times)
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2950 on: August 16, 2012, 06:48:12 PM »

Am I up for reelection??
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2951 on: August 16, 2012, 07:38:36 PM »

Naw, it's Jbrase and Adam Griffin.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2952 on: August 17, 2012, 01:34:29 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

May I ask why? Horse meat (not that I have ever had it) is a legit food.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2953 on: August 17, 2012, 02:30:22 PM »

May I ask why? Horse meat (not that I have ever had it) is a legit food.

Due to horse meat not being a traditional part of the food chain, you commonly find drugs in the meat that aren't legal for use in food animals (such as cows), but since horses typically aren't considered a food, these drugs appear. Plus, the slaughter pipeline in Atlasia is typically less regulated than that for other animals such as cows, so abuse and inhumane treatment is much more common. The vast majority of groups affiliated with the horse industry are opposed to horse slaughter as well.

Besides, this law wouldn't ban the shipping, transporting, moving, delivering, receiving, possessing, purchasing, selling, or donation of horse meat, just of the horses themselves.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #2954 on: August 17, 2012, 10:24:49 PM »

In that instance, wouldn't it be more preferable to actually have domestic horse slaughterhouses? If this bill does not effectively stop the trade of horse meat, why not just allow farms to operate in our region and let the free market decide whether or not they are successful? If the industry can be sustained regionally, there'd be jobs in it for at least a few hundred people.

What's interesting is that the 2007 ban in America actually saw thousands of horses being abandonned and mistreated because there was no use for them (see here). Since I don't think there are currently any Atlasian laws on the books regarding horse slaughter (I could be wrong), who is to say that similar unintended circumstances would not occur here in the IDS?

I would be in support of enforcing drug standards for "agri-horses" similar to the standards for cows. Perhaps we could create an "Agri Meats Regulatory Board" to ensure these standards are met. Regardless, I am not sold on the proposed ban.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2955 on: August 17, 2012, 11:02:30 PM »

I had the same thoughts as Hagrid. Allow slaughter trade in horses if they can be held to the same standard as that for other animals.  I'll say that there are also certain traditional uses for horse meat, and I think allowing people to kill for food only wild horses or horses they already own is unnecessarily restrictive.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2956 on: August 18, 2012, 12:02:43 AM »

I am in agreement with PiT and Hagrid here
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #2957 on: August 18, 2012, 12:41:37 AM »

Are there any laws on the IDS books regulating the pharmaceuticals, hormones and other additives that can be fed to any animals meant for consumption? I'm not aware of any. This could be a chance to expand the quality of all consumable meats. If there was any way to get a cost benefit analysis or estimates for any additional costs to livestock owners, we could even evaluate an "organic" approach for all livestock. This could, however, be complicated due to the food supply chain.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2958 on: August 18, 2012, 08:28:32 AM »

Are there any laws on the IDS books regulating the pharmaceuticals, hormones and other additives that can be fed to any animals meant for consumption? I'm not aware of any. This could be a chance to expand the quality of all consumable meats. If there was any way to get a cost benefit analysis or estimates for any additional costs to livestock owners, we could even evaluate an "organic" approach for all livestock. This could, however, be complicated due to the food supply chain.

I don't think we have any laws on what we can and cannot feed animals, which is why this issue comes up. If y'all wanna change it to actually create some standards on what you can feed animals, I'd be for that too.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #2959 on: August 18, 2012, 02:42:44 PM »

I don't think we have any laws on what we can and cannot feed animals, which is why this issue comes up. If y'all wanna change it to actually create some standards on what you can feed animals, I'd be for that too.

I personally think that it is disgusting to eat such a noble and sentient creature and do like this bill. With no other laws on the books dictating consumption/production regulations and some opposition to halving up horses, however, it may need to be tailored to encompass more.

*can't believe somebody hasn't made a joke yet about horses and nay*
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #2960 on: August 19, 2012, 09:14:47 PM »

I've done some preliminary research on the cost of ownership for horses - if we can get the discussion going again, I'll be more inclined to do some industry-wise research. The average cost of ownership per horse is as follows:

Pasture-raised: $2,719
Confined: $2,025

Within these numbers, the average cost of feeding horses is:

Pasture-raised: $404
Confined: $1,184

As we can see, there is a huge discrepancy in the cost of feeding pasture-raised horses and confined horses (20% for pasture-raised, 43% for confined).

An aggregate of several organic websites and suppliers I reviewed had a fairly consistent market quote of the price difference between organic and non-organic: roughly 20% more for organic. However, I did find many examples where there was no difference in the cost of organic versus non-organic (oats, corn, hog feed).

This study also highlights the nutritional benefits of organic food:

Quote from: Restricted

I also saw some reports claiming a 25% higher rate of nutrients on average in organic feed when compared to convention feed, which if true, would actually equate to a net cost decrease.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2961 on: August 20, 2012, 11:15:09 AM »

Hmm, perhaps we could just have a list of things that cannot be put in horses if they are to be allowed to be consumed by humans.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #2962 on: August 20, 2012, 11:50:14 AM »

Those were my thoughts, too. A general "Meat Standards" Act.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2963 on: August 20, 2012, 03:21:16 PM »

I think that would be best.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #2964 on: August 21, 2012, 04:07:54 AM »

I'll submit a list for review and expansion, with the reasons why they are listed:

No control over quality or contamination:

Animal Fat
Beef Tallow
Lard
Poultry Fat
Vegetable Oil
Animal Digest
Digest, Flavor
Glandular Meal

Inexpensive by-products with no real nutritional value:

Corn Gluten
Wheat Gluten
Brewers Rice
Cereal Food Fines
Feeding Oat Meal
Grain Fermentation Solubles
Maltodextrins & Fermentation Solubles
Potato Product
Soy Flour
Apple Pomace
Citrus Pulp
Grape Pomace
Cellulose
Corn Bran
Corn Cellulose
Oat Hulls
Peanut Hulls
Rice Hulls
Soybean Mill Run
Wheat Mill Run

Linked to many serious health issues:

Blue 2
Red 40
Yellow 5
Yellow 6
Titanium Dioxide
BHA
BHT
Ethoxyquin
Propyl Gallate
Menadione Sodium Bisulfate (Vitamin K3, Synthetic Vitamin K)

Not suitable for human consumption:

Beef & Bone Meal
Blood Meal
Chicken Byproduct Meal
Corn Distillers Dried Grains with Solubles
Corn Germ Meal
Corn Gluten Meal
Fish Meal
Liver Meal
Meat & Bone Meal
Meat Meal
Pork & Bone Meal
Poultry Byproduct Meal
Poultry Meal
Soybean Meal

Fillers:

Cane Molasses
Corn Syrup
Fructose
Sorbitol
Sugar
DI-Alpha Tocopherol Acetate
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2965 on: August 21, 2012, 02:56:11 PM »

I'll come out and say I know nothing about the slaughtering laws or horse meat, only that lions eat it sometimes in zoos and it's gross. I also like horses a lot, I think they are one of the most elegant creatures on earth, so I don't want to see them getting slaughtered, but I will admit I haven't read most of the arguments because I have not had time to read it over all my other legal readings I do each night. I do hope someone makes a tl;dr version for me before final vote Tongue
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2966 on: August 21, 2012, 03:10:47 PM »

Duke, the short version is:

Eating horses that have not had the same regulation other meats have is no bueno. So we are debating if we should just have a list of things that cannot go into a horse if it is to be sold as food.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2967 on: August 21, 2012, 03:17:57 PM »

Duke, the short version is:

Eating horses that have not had the same regulation other meats have is no bueno. So we are debating if we should just have a list of things that cannot go into a horse if it is to be sold as food.

Is it legal to eat horse meat? I have never seen it for sale anywhere, so I thought it was illegal for humans to buy and eat, but if it isn't then we do need regulations in place at the very least.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #2968 on: August 21, 2012, 04:28:17 PM »

It was illegal in the US after a ban in 2007, but I believe it's since been overturned. One of the concerns re: banning horse slaughterhouses involved the fact that horses were being mistreated. Unfortunately, the ban actually led to more animal abuse because many of the animals were left to starve and fend for themselves after the ban.

Since there are no laws on the books about horse meat in Atlasia, I think it's fair to assume that there's at least some current economic activity in this industry.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2969 on: August 21, 2012, 05:42:32 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3nA2zqeX5Q

Duke. Brace your self
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #2970 on: August 22, 2012, 09:03:37 PM »

I've introduced a livestock feed quality control measure in the legislation thread, seeing as how we have moved away from the original intent of the proposed bill in recent discussion.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2971 on: August 22, 2012, 09:07:10 PM »

I propose the following amendment to the current bill.

Strike the current text and replace with:

CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2972 on: August 23, 2012, 12:10:55 AM »

So stricken and replaced.

I can dig this.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2973 on: August 23, 2012, 03:09:30 PM »

But I love blood meal! Sad

Seriously though, this looks good. I don't know how much expertise there is on the subject in this chamber, though. We just do the best that we can.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #2974 on: August 24, 2012, 02:04:18 AM »

But I love blood meal! Sad

Seriously though, this looks good. I don't know how much expertise there is on the subject in this chamber, though. We just do the best that we can.

I am sure there may be other ingredients that could be added, but as you stated, none of us are experts. As the resident communal agri-commie Darth, however, I figured I would take the lead on rounding this into something that can be a base for future improvements.
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 116 117 118 [119] 120 121 122 123 124 ... 170  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies