The Imperial Dominion of the South's Legislature
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:06:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Imperial Dominion of the South's Legislature
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 64 65 66 [67] 68 69 70 71 72 ... 170
Author Topic: The Imperial Dominion of the South's Legislature  (Read 296963 times)
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1650 on: May 27, 2011, 03:20:18 PM »

Any more thoughts on the matter? I'll try drafting a bill to deal with the flood damage tonight.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1651 on: May 27, 2011, 04:19:55 PM »

What exactly would qualify as a mess in an area that is not inhabited or used by humans?
garbage and debris causing environmental issues with the wildlife?
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1652 on: May 27, 2011, 07:36:38 PM »

What exactly would qualify as a mess in an area that is not inhabited or used by humans?
garbage and debris causing environmental issues with the wildlife?

Plus we need to clear the land in case if anyone wants to build homes or anything
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1653 on: May 27, 2011, 11:46:26 PM »

Here is my proposal. Everybody look it over & tell me what you think. Also, I would like someone to please step forward & sponsor it.

2011 Flooding Damage Repair Bill

1. $9,000,000,000 shall be alotted to the Tornado and Disaster Management Institution for the purpose of rebuilding property damaged by the recent flooding of the Mississippi River.
     a. These funds shall be awarded in contracts to construction firms through a competitive bidding process.
     b. In order to qualify for a contract, a majority of a firm's employees must be citizens or legal permanent residents of Atlasia currently residing in the Imperial Dominion of the South.

2. $1,000,000,000 shall be alotted to the Tornado and Disaster Management Institution for the purpose of clearing debris deposited by the recent flooding off of land.
     a. The Tornado and Disaster Management Institution shall hire persons directly for the purpose of completing this project.
     b. Persons who are not currently employed full-time shall be given priority for positions in this project.
     c. Priority for this project shall be given to clearing land according to the following scheme, in descending order of priority:
         i. Land currently undergoing human use.
         ii. Unused land where development for human use in the near future is deemed likely.
         iii. Unused land where debris is likely to have a detrimental effect on wildlife.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #1654 on: May 28, 2011, 01:35:28 PM »

Here is my proposal. Everybody look it over & tell me what you think. Also, I would like someone to please step forward & sponsor it.

1. $9,000,000,000 shall be alotted to the Tornado and Disaster Management Institution for the purpose of rebuilding property damaged by the recent flooding of the Mississippi River.
     a. These funds shall be awarded in contracts to construction firms through a competitive bidding process.
     b. In order to qualify for a contract, a majority of a firm's employees must be citizens or legal permanent residents of Atlasia currently residing in the Imperial Dominion of the South.

2. $1,000,000,000 shall be alotted to the Tornado and Disaster Management Institution for the purpose of clearing debris deposited by the recent flooding off of land.
     a. The Tornado and Disaster Management Institution shall hire persons directly for the purpose of completing this project.
     b. Persons who are not currently employed full-time shall be given priority for positions in this project.
     c. Priority for this project shall be given to clearing land according to the following scheme, in descending order of priority:
         ii. Unused land where development for human use in the near future is deemed likely.
         iii. Unused land where debris is likely to have a detrimental effect on wildlife.
I like it, and will sponsor it.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1655 on: May 28, 2011, 02:36:12 PM »

Darth Jbrase has already volunteered sponsored it, but I thank you for the vote of confidence.
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1656 on: May 28, 2011, 07:15:20 PM »

Since everything looks good so far, I'm reintroducing this to make it official:

Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1657 on: May 28, 2011, 07:22:08 PM »

Alright, I'll put it on the record that everyone sponsored it. Grin
Mr. Taft Republican
Taft4Prez
United States

« Reply #1658 on: May 29, 2011, 04:01:07 PM »

And with that thought in mind I guess it should go to a vote.
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1659 on: May 29, 2011, 05:38:01 PM »

Aye
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1660 on: May 29, 2011, 06:46:32 PM »

Aye
Mr. Taft Republican
Taft4Prez
United States

« Reply #1661 on: May 30, 2011, 05:22:03 PM »

2-0, Jbrase didn't vote, the bill ppasses and awaits signature.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1662 on: May 30, 2011, 06:17:27 PM »

On the 2011 Flooding Damage Repair Bill: by the powers vested in me as Emperor of this region, I thus sign it into law.

Be it resolved, X Emperor PiT
Mr. Taft Republican
Taft4Prez
United States

« Reply #1663 on: June 01, 2011, 02:32:30 PM »

There is now this bill to consider, we've detoured considerably Tongue

Imperial Registrar Protocol Bill

Section 1: Establishment
The Imperial Dominion of the South shall establish a voters roll of Imperial citizens that meet the requirements outlined in Section 2 who shall be allowed to vote in Imperial Elections. Only those who meet the requirements to be listed on this roll shall be eligible to vote.

Section 2: Inclusion
In order to be listed on the roll, a voter
(a) must be a registered voter in Atlasia.
(b) must be eligible to vote in federal elections.
(c) must be a resident of the Imperial Dominion of the South.

Section 3: Regional Parties
(a) Citizens of the Southeast may register in regional parties in addition to federal parties.
(b) On official ballots, all candidates shall be listed with their regional party first, followed by endorsements from any other regional parties, followed by the candidate's federal party, followed by endorsements from any other federal parties.
(c) All official endorsements must be transmitted by a party official to the Governor prior to the opening of voting in order to be listed on the ballot.

Section 4: Change of Registration
The following are legal methods of changing your registration in the Imperial Dominion of the South:
(a) the voter may request to move out of the Imperial Dominion of the South. In this case the voter shall be removed from the voter rolls.
(b) the voter may request to move into the Imperial Dominion of the South. In this case the voter shall be added to the voter rolls.
(c) the voter may request to change his state of registration in the Imperial Dominion of the South after living in his current state for 180 days. In this case the voter's placement on the voter rolls will be modified accordingly.
(d) the voter may request to have his registration in Atlasia removed or deleted. In this case the request will be ignored.

Section 5: Maintenance
(a) The Viceroy shall be responsible for maintaining a list of IDS citizens and their regional party affiliation.
(b) This list shall be updated at least once per calender week, should any changes occur in that time.
(c) In the event that the office of Viceroy falls vacant, the Emperor shall be responsible for maintaining the voters roll.

Section 6: Repealed Laws
The following laws are hereby repealed:
(a) 70. Independent Voter Roll Initiative
(b) 81. Supporting Atlasian Policy Initiative
(c) 231. Act Providing for the Creation of Regional Parties
(d) 276. Registar Power Transfer Act of 2010
[/quote]
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1664 on: June 01, 2011, 03:20:46 PM »

Any issue I have with this bill seemed to have disappeared with a second glance. However, can a clause be added, which grants automatic citizenship to former residents of the IDS, who have left, and then returned. Surely they do not need to wait 180 days like someone who was not originally from the IDS.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1665 on: June 01, 2011, 05:15:05 PM »

Actually, Section 4 could be stricken outright. State of registration is something that the federal government handles.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1666 on: June 01, 2011, 08:43:45 PM »

Actually, Section 4 could be stricken outright. State of registration is something that the federal government handles.
The Federal Government should not have a say in the registration/moving of citizens between the states.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1667 on: June 02, 2011, 03:38:04 AM »

The Federal Government should not have a say in the registration/moving of citizens between the states.

It does not have a say, per se. People move between states of their own free will, with certain limitations. The federal Registrar General is merely the organ of tracking these changes. By tradition, people do not even specify their state of registration when changing their regional registration, because it is intended that the federal government keep track of that.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1668 on: June 04, 2011, 09:31:35 AM »

It has come to my attention that the new Game Moderator has recently signed off on the region's budget proposal. As such, I ask that the Legislature consider affirming it. Given that this is rather unprecedented in our region's history, I think this would be a good time to decide what exactly "affirming the budget proposal" entails. This is the proposal:

2011 Budget
Notes
  • Base shall be understood to refer to the combined totals of the state governments minus Puerto Rico.
  • Total shall be understood to refer to the combined totals of the state and regional governments minus Puerto Rico.

Regional Spending
Pensions
-Base: $3.81 billion
-Total: $3.81 billion

Health care:
-Base: $121.9 billion
-Total: $121.9 billion

Education:
-Base: $48.9 billion (post-Educational Hotfix Act - original figure was $0, real-life gross state figure is $73.4 billion)
-Tertiary Education/Other Capital Outlay-Higher Education/Southeastern Educational Incentive Act: $3.5 billion
-Pre-Primary through Secondary Education/Other Capital Outlay - Elementary and Secondary Education/School Choice Initiative: $56.4 billion
-Total: $108.8 billion

Defense:
-Base: $0.6 billion
-Total: $0.6 billion

Welfare:
-Base: $40.4 billion
-Total: $40.4 billion

Protection:
-Base: $21.5 billion
-Total: $21.5 billion

Transportation:
-Base: $28.2 billion
-Total: $28.2 billion

General government:
-Base: $7.4 billion
-Total: $7.4 billion

Other spending:
-Base: $18.7 billion
-Cultural Services/Pentagram Creation Act: $200 million (1 time expense)
-Puerto Rico: $17.27 billion (total spending of PR- PR is not included in any other category in Spending but the Total Regional Spending)
-Total: $36.17 billion

Interest: $7.4 billion (assumes that Regional Government does not have to pay its own interest)

Total Regional Spending: $376.18 billion (includes Interest)

Regional Revenue
Income Taxes:
-Base: $0 (state cannot collect their own income taxes)
-Corporate Income Tax/Tax-Corporate Net Income/Put the "free" back in Free Enterprise Bill: (see personal income tax rate)
-Corporate Income Tax/Tax-Corporate Net Income/Southeast Nuclear Energy Initiative, Chapter 4: -66.1 million (-0.0661 billion)
-Corporate Tax Rate: 8.6% (part of Free Enterprise Bill above - remember other provisions).
-Personal Income Tax Rate: 5.8% ($$61,650,000,000/year)
-Total: $61,583,900,000 or $61.5839 billion

Social Security Taxes: 
-Base: $15.1 billion
-Total: $15.1 billion

Ad-valorem Taxes:
-Base: $252.3 billion
-Excise Taxes/Tax-Alcoholic Beverage Sales/Southeast Alcohol Initiative, Section 8: $1.3127 billion ($1.00/proof liter or $0.385/gallon for beer, $0.909/gallon for wine, $3.31/gallon for spirits)
-Excise Taxes/Tax-Tobacco Products Sales/Southeast Tobacco Initiative, Section 6:  $0.04/cigarette ($6,034,000,000/year), $0.08/cigar ($80,000,000/year), $2.00/kg tobacco ($24,000,000/year)
-Excise Taxes/Tax-Marijuana Products Sales: $3.00/ounce ($48,000,000/year)
-Sales Taxes/Tax-Public Utilities Sale/Southeast Nuclear Energy Initiative, Chapter 4: 80% of standard electricity excise tax: $0
-Sales Taxes/Tax-Public Utilities Sale/Southeast Biomass Initiative, Section 3: 80% of standard electricity excise tax: $0
-Property Taxes/Tax-Property/Southeast Nuclear Energy Initiative, Chapter 4: n/a ($0)
-Transportation/Tax-Motor Fuel Sales/Transportation Commission Initiative, Chapter 3, Section 22: $0.08/liter ($17,284,230,161/year)
-Transportation/Tax-Motor Vehicle License/Fair Consequences Initiative, Section 3: $10,700,000/year
-License/Tax-Other License/Off-Shore Religious Organizations Initiative, Section 2: n/a ($0)
-Total: $277,093,630,161 or $277.093630161 billion

Fees and Charges:
-Base: $107 billion
-Other/Charges-All Other/Pentagram Creation Act: $5,700,000/year
-Other/Charges-All Other/Safe Roads Initiative, Section 6: $44,400,000/year
-Total: $107,050,100,00 or $107.0501 billion

Business and Other Revenue:
-Base: $132.5 billion
-Puerto Rico: 24.96 billion
-Total: $157.46 billion

Gross Public Debt: $598.7 billion (assumes that Regional Government has not accumulated its own public debt)

Rainy Day Fund: $25 billion

Total Regional Revenue: $618,287,630,161 (does not include Gross Public Debt or Rainy Day Fund)

$Balance: 242,107,630,161
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1669 on: June 04, 2011, 10:31:59 AM »

Looks good, but we should not waste all of the surplus though
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1670 on: June 04, 2011, 01:33:00 PM »

looks good to me
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1671 on: June 04, 2011, 03:21:41 PM »

As a general note, this is what the budget is.  I would suggest you guys codify that additions and subtractions are only made to and from the budget as appropriations are passed, and that such changes must be made (by the governor?) upon the passage of appropriations bills.  That should prevent confusion assembly members might have in distinguish this from the American system of debating on budget proposals.  The way this is set up, that kind of a system would not work without giving the GM and SoIA a constant headache.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1672 on: June 04, 2011, 07:36:17 PM »

How about this:

Budget Maintenance Bill

1. No more than two weeks after the beginning of each calender year, the Emperor of the Imperial Dominion of the South or a designated representative thereof shall present an accurate budget for the next year to the Legislature, for review and adoption.

2. To expedite the process of preparing an accurate budget for the next year, the Emperor of the Imperial Dominion of the South or a designated representative thereof shall maintain a copy of the budget that will be updated as changes in expenditures or taxations are made.

3. The budget for the calender year 2011 shall be as follows:

2011 Budget
Notes
  • Base shall be understood to refer to the combined totals of the state governments minus Puerto Rico.
  • Total shall be understood to refer to the combined totals of the state and regional governments minus Puerto Rico.

Regional Spending
Pensions
-Base: $3.81 billion
-Total: $3.81 billion

Health care:
-Base: $121.9 billion
-Total: $121.9 billion

Education:
-Base: $48.9 billion (post-Educational Hotfix Act - original figure was $0, real-life gross state figure is $73.4 billion)
-Tertiary Education/Other Capital Outlay-Higher Education/Southeastern Educational Incentive Act: $3.5 billion
-Pre-Primary through Secondary Education/Other Capital Outlay - Elementary and Secondary Education/School Choice Initiative: $56.4 billion
-Total: $108.8 billion

Defense:
-Base: $0.6 billion
-Total: $0.6 billion

Welfare:
-Base: $40.4 billion
-Total: $40.4 billion

Protection:
-Base: $21.5 billion
-Total: $21.5 billion

Transportation:
-Base: $28.2 billion
-Total: $28.2 billion

General government:
-Base: $7.4 billion
-Total: $7.4 billion

Other spending:
-Base: $18.7 billion
-Cultural Services/Pentagram Creation Act: $200 million (1 time expense)
-Puerto Rico: $17.27 billion (total spending of PR- PR is not included in any other category in Spending but the Total Regional Spending)
-Total: $36.17 billion

Interest: $7.4 billion (assumes that Regional Government does not have to pay its own interest)

Total Regional Spending: $376.18 billion (includes Interest)

Regional Revenue
Income Taxes:
-Base: $0 (state cannot collect their own income taxes)
-Corporate Income Tax/Tax-Corporate Net Income/Put the "free" back in Free Enterprise Bill: (see personal income tax rate)
-Corporate Income Tax/Tax-Corporate Net Income/Southeast Nuclear Energy Initiative, Chapter 4: -66.1 million (-0.0661 billion)
-Corporate Tax Rate: 8.6% (part of Free Enterprise Bill above - remember other provisions).
-Personal Income Tax Rate: 5.8% ($$61,650,000,000/year)
-Total: $61,583,900,000 or $61.5839 billion

Social Security Taxes: 
-Base: $15.1 billion
-Total: $15.1 billion

Ad-valorem Taxes:
-Base: $252.3 billion
-Excise Taxes/Tax-Alcoholic Beverage Sales/Southeast Alcohol Initiative, Section 8: $1.3127 billion ($1.00/proof liter or $0.385/gallon for beer, $0.909/gallon for wine, $3.31/gallon for spirits)
-Excise Taxes/Tax-Tobacco Products Sales/Southeast Tobacco Initiative, Section 6:  $0.04/cigarette ($6,034,000,000/year), $0.08/cigar ($80,000,000/year), $2.00/kg tobacco ($24,000,000/year)
-Excise Taxes/Tax-Marijuana Products Sales: $3.00/ounce ($48,000,000/year)
-Sales Taxes/Tax-Public Utilities Sale/Southeast Nuclear Energy Initiative, Chapter 4: 80% of standard electricity excise tax: $0
-Sales Taxes/Tax-Public Utilities Sale/Southeast Biomass Initiative, Section 3: 80% of standard electricity excise tax: $0
-Property Taxes/Tax-Property/Southeast Nuclear Energy Initiative, Chapter 4: n/a ($0)
-Transportation/Tax-Motor Fuel Sales/Transportation Commission Initiative, Chapter 3, Section 22: $0.08/liter ($17,284,230,161/year)
-Transportation/Tax-Motor Vehicle License/Fair Consequences Initiative, Section 3: $10,700,000/year
-License/Tax-Other License/Off-Shore Religious Organizations Initiative, Section 2: n/a ($0)
-Total: $277,093,630,161 or $277.093630161 billion

Fees and Charges:
-Base: $107 billion
-Other/Charges-All Other/Pentagram Creation Act: $5,700,000/year
-Other/Charges-All Other/Safe Roads Initiative, Section 6: $44,400,000/year
-Total: $107,050,100,00 or $107.0501 billion

Business and Other Revenue:
-Base: $132.5 billion
-Puerto Rico: 24.96 billion
-Total: $157.46 billion

Gross Public Debt: $598.7 billion (assumes that Regional Government has not accumulated its own public debt)

Rainy Day Fund: $25 billion

Total Regional Revenue: $618,287,630,161 (does not include Gross Public Debt or Rainy Day Fund)

$Balance: 242,107,630,161
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1673 on: June 05, 2011, 04:01:19 PM »
« Edited: June 08, 2011, 11:32:56 AM by ChairmanSanchez »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
I am re introducing this bill after I made a serious error...
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1674 on: June 05, 2011, 04:32:28 PM »

Alright, someone please sponsor it for me.
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 64 65 66 [67] 68 69 70 71 72 ... 170  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies