The Imperial Dominion of the South's Legislature (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:58:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Imperial Dominion of the South's Legislature (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 39
Author Topic: The Imperial Dominion of the South's Legislature  (Read 297178 times)
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: March 05, 2010, 06:35:08 PM »

Deldem is away at this time, so we will be unable to begin business immediately.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 08:09:08 PM »
« Edited: March 07, 2010, 10:47:27 PM by SE Legislator PiT »

So everyone can see, I would like to introduce this bill when the legislature begins official business

End To Regional Aggression Bill

1. The Southeast Militia shall be officially disbanded, effective immediately upon passage of this bill.

2. The Southeast Militia may be reconstituted by the Governor, subject to the approval of the Southeast Legislature, should he deem it necessary for the protection of the citizenry of the Southeast.

3. The citizenry of the Southeastern region shall reserve the right to petition for referendum on any order by the Governor of the Southeast to reconstitute the militia.

4. The transport of prisoners to the Pacific region in accordance with the Suck it Pacific Act of 2010 shall be suspended permanently, effective immediately upon passage of this bill.

I will no longer introduce this bill, as I have been informed that Governor Jbrase has revoked his two executive orders that created the bulk of the controversy.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 11:08:08 PM »

The original act remains, does it not? If you repealed that, we could put it all behind us and resume full trade and transportation.

Good point. I'll just introduce a bill to repeal the original act then.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 11:14:43 PM »

The original act remains, does it not? If you repealed that, we could put it all behind us and resume full trade and transportation.

Good point. I'll just introduce a bill to repeal the original act then.

Splendid! I look forward to seeing your work in the legislature.

Thank you. I will wait until we get preliminary business done with to introduce it, though, so it does not get forgotten down the line. I only introduced the first version now because I did not want any silence on the issue to be interpreted as support of the Southeast Militia meandering around the Pacific region.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 12:08:01 AM »

Thinking more about it, an emergency initiative can be declared, so repealing the Suck It Pacific Act of 2010 can be voted on as soon as possible. Alternatively, Governor Jbrase could issue an executive order suspending it indefinitely, so the legislature can get around to it later.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 03:49:14 PM »

Alright. I suppose we should start by discussing & voting on the standing orders if the Lt. Governor has them ready?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2010, 10:03:58 PM »

Looks good. Two comments, though:

1) using the terms Legislator & Senator interchangeably without including a clause establishing that they are in fact interchangeable could cause confusion.

2) establishing rules on legislation, such as how long debate has to be open, how long various types of votes are open, &c. Probably should take care to establish a cloture requirement such that attaining cloture does not entail enough votes to override a veto, which would be difficult in such a small body. Maybe have two-thirds of Legislators plus the Lieutenant Governor voting in the affirmative to attain cloture.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010, 07:55:10 PM »

Yay
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2010, 10:04:34 PM »

Standing Rules 1-5 are approved unanimously , and will be sent to the governor.

Does it need to be sent to the governor? The Senate does not need amendments to the OSPR to be signed by the President.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2010, 10:16:54 PM »

Standing Rules 1-5 are approved unanimously , and will be sent to the governor.

Does it need to be sent to the governor? The Senate does not need amendments to the OSPR to be signed by the President.

From what i was told earlier, the governor has to either sign or veto theses. I don't know.

I don't particularly mind either way, though it might become a point of contention should he at some point veto an amendment to the standing rules.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2010, 12:17:14 AM »

It must be signed by the governor because your regional constitution doesn't provide for the Legislature's ability to make its own rules, as does the federal constitution. So this must be legislation.

Alright, I see now.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2010, 07:17:19 PM »

Introduced on the behalf of the Governor:

Fair Voting Requirements Act

1. Voters removed by the HAEV will still be eligible to vote in Southeast regional elections.

2. Voting and office holding restrictions shall not apply at the regional level elections and referendums.

3. An office known as the Region Clerk shall be created.
3a. A Southeast Voting roll shall be created, independent of the SoFA, kept up to date by the Region Clerk.
3b. The Region Clerk shall be appointed by the Governor at the begining of each of the Governor's term and shall serve two month terms.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2010, 07:21:00 PM »

Looks good, though I think that the Region Clerk should serve for as long as he wishes, unless the Governor decides to replace him. Seems like doing it that way would cut down on formalities.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2010, 07:36:20 PM »

Looks good, though I think that the Region Clerk should serve for as long as he wishes, unless the Governor decides to replace him. Seems like doing it that way would cut down on formalities.
I dont like the Idea of life long appointments. I was thinking something that could possibly be added is that once apointed, the Region clerck would be confirmed by the House.

Segwaystyle pointed out to me that the Northeastern CJO is appointed to a one-year term. Would doing the same for the Region Clerk be good as a compromise position?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2010, 07:49:10 PM »

Segwaystyle pointed out to me that the Northeastern CJO is appointed to a one-year term. Would doing the same for the Region Clerk be good as a compromise position?
That'll work with me if he/she is  confirmed by the House when appointed.

I'm fine with that. As such, I offer an amendment to change clause 3b to read: "The Region Clerk shall be appointed by the Governor at the beginning of his term, subject to the approval of the Southeast Legislature, and shall serve for a term of one year."
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2010, 07:58:56 PM »

Let's take a vote on the Fair Voting Requirements Act

Yay if you agree, Nay if you disagree

I think we should leave a couple days for more debate & to see if anyone has issues with my amendment to it. We will probably have plenty of time to get stuff done around here.

Because we would be allowing both the HAEVs and the HAEV-nots (pun intended) to vote in elections, would the Regional Clerk have to keep their own registered voter roll in case it differs from the DoFA?

Yes, per clause 3a.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2010, 09:12:35 PM »

[X] PiT (The Physicist)
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2010, 06:31:19 PM »

Alright. So everyone can see, I have proposed that clause 3b be amended to read: "The Region Clerk shall be appointed by the Governor at the beginning of his term, subject to the approval of the Southeast Legislature, and shall serve for a term of one year."

Do any of my colleagues have objections to this amendment?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2010, 11:42:32 PM »

I'd like to amend the Fair Voting Requirements Act:

4. There shall be a probationary period of one regional election before those who move to the region under the provisions of this Act are able to vote and hold office.

Do you mean to say that someone who has been removed by the HAEV that comes to the Southeast will have to wait to be allowed to vote here? That might be wise, since if the HAEV removes a bunch of people & this is the only region to have such a law, they may end up all coming here.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2010, 06:42:59 PM »

Let's Take a vote on the Fair Voting Requirements Act, and the amendment to 3b

What about Deldem's proposed addition of clause 4? If we include that, I would be comfortable with a final vote on the bill.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2010, 07:01:34 PM »

Let's Take a vote on the Fair Voting Requirements Act, and the amendment to 3b

What about Deldem's proposed addition of clause 4? If we include that, I would be comfortable with a final vote on the bill.

The Amendment is supposed to be voted with the actual piece of Legislation.

That seems slightly odd, since in my time in the Senate some bills were altered into something completely different over the time they were on the floor. In that case, may I suggest that after the votes on amendments are finalized, legislators are given 24 hours to change their vote on the bill itself if they so choose?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2010, 08:02:07 PM »

Okay, I'll PM my colleages to let them know about the impending vote.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2010, 10:40:42 PM »

Aye on the bill & on both amendments.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2010, 03:30:53 PM »

The bill & both amendments have had enough votes to pass for over 24 hours now. Does that mean it goes to the Governor's desk now?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2010, 06:36:04 PM »

Okay, this bill is next:

Self Defense Act

1. The Dirty South shall protect the right of any citizen to use lethal force to protect his life, liberty, or property.
2. The Dirty South shall prosecute any person who attempts to violate someone else's right to life, liberty, and property to the fullest extent of the law, regardless of the suspect's profession.

As an aside, SPC has not been online in nearly three days. It's not such a big deal since the term is nearly over, but I would like to remind everyone to notify the legislature before taking a leave of absence.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 39  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies