Libertarian Bashing (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:42:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Libertarian Bashing (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Libertarian Bashing  (Read 12266 times)
Mint
YaBB God
« on: March 11, 2010, 12:10:33 PM »

they are just plain arrogant, and this is a fact.

Look at how Ron Paul pretended to be "champion of the constitution" without even earning that title. Did he win a competition or something? nope he just simply assumed that his view of the constitution was superior to someone else's view, and anyone who thought otherwise was simply deemed anti-constitution.

I don't see how this is any more unfair than any of the claims 'progressives' like to make about looking out for the interests of the working class or unfortunate or christian conservatives do with 'morality' or 'family values.' Spin and framing like that is everywhere in politics. At least with Paul he can point to issues like the Patriot Act or Drugs where he consistently took the civil libertarian stance, even if we might disagree with his particular kind of strict constructionism.
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 07:50:22 PM »

Satanism is a fairly logical position for a libertarian to hold, actually. It's the ultimate rejection of servitude to others & likewise an assertion of independence.

This is why people don't take you seriously.
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 10:01:08 PM »

Satanism is a fairly logical position for a libertarian to hold, actually. It's the ultimate rejection of servitude to others & likewise an assertion of independence.

This is why people don't take you seriously.

If people do not take me seriously because I have the guts to question the normal views, then that's their problem; not mine. I march to my own drummer.

To be more precise I was referring to libertarians in general when I said 'you.' When people see statements like this, regardless of validity, they think that libertarians are at best going for shock value and at worst a bunch of amoral libertines with no regard for society. I could drag up hundreds of other over-the-top quotes just from this site but this one epitomized one of the most serious problems with libertarianism's reputation (especially on the internet).
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies