Libertarian Bashing (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:39:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Libertarian Bashing (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Libertarian Bashing  (Read 12233 times)
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« on: March 11, 2010, 01:17:17 PM »

Self-identified libertarians are a weird and diverse bunch of people who often have very little in common. I know of at least 4 different types of libertarians:

Type A is really a mainstream conservative, but he's gay, or likes to smoke pot, or enjoys some other family-unfriendy activity and he's affraid someone will call him a hypocrite if he identifies publicly as a conservative. They are probably at least a 51% majority of the "movement".

Type B is an anti-Semite, conspiracy nutjob, doom-is-coming, beware of the black helicopter guy who is stashing food, water and guns on his ranch in Idaho, you know, just in case.  These are really the most deplorable people who associate with libertarianism.

Type C is a disappointed paleoconservative, yearning for romantic days of 100% isolationist past. Sure, I don't agree with their foreign policy views, but this group is usually tolerable.

Type D is a libertarian leftist, they are like left-wing version of type A, liberals who like guns or are just a bit too mysanthropic to buy mainstream liberal Kumbaya mantra.  

The second most annoying thing about libertarians, is their constant bickering between themselves about what is "true libertarianism" (of course, conservatives and liberals bicker too about ideological purity, but not so passionately as libertarians, which is natural because like I said, libertarians often come from at least 4 different mindsets). However, the most annoying thing about libertarians is their belief that there's some silent libertarian majority that will soon rise and that the majority of people are really unconscious libertarians.

I actually agree with most of this post.
I will admit to being guilty of playing the "No True Scotsman" card in the past and I believe that is what is probably holding back the movement.  Once we quit the petty finger wagging and labeling maybe we can get somewhere.
However I disagree with the notion that libertarianism is an impossible idealogy/philosophy or whatever the hell you want to call it in America.  I believe it is possible to achieve some sort of "libertarian" government.  Sure, I will accept that my vision of libertarianism, the batsh*t insane version of it, is probably impossible.  I mean really: Does anyone think that the United States will legalize all drugs, legalize all forms of sexual relationships, abolish the age of consent, get rid of every gun control law ever and disband the military, get rid of all income taxation, etc etc.?
However, I believe that a mainstream libertarian government may be possible: One that embraces a foreign policy of non-interventionism, one that is socially permissive as it regards soft drugs, sexual orientation, and most other issues but maybe a bit divided over abortion, in favor of a balanced budget amendment, for lower govenrment spending as well as lower overall taxation, support of free trade (but skeptical of free trade "agreements" that add loads of bureaucracy), for partial privatization of social security, you get the idea.  One that has libertarian ideas but is a bit more pragmatic in their approach.
It's not impossible, it may seem that way now but a few years down the road you might be surprised at how much the political environment might change.  After all, how many Democrats in 1932 thought that by 1948 their party would have a Civil Rights platform?
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 08:10:29 PM »

Satanism is a fairly logical position for a libertarian to hold, actually. It's the ultimate rejection of servitude to others & likewise an assertion of independence.

This is why people don't take you seriously.

If people do not take me seriously because I have the guts to question the normal views, then that's their problem; not mine. I march to my own drummer.

Satanism is disgusting.

I'm not a Satanist for obvious reasons, so I am not sure what you are attempting to accomplish by posting that.

You've got to admit that "Satanism is a fairly logical position for a libertarian to hold" was a pretty ridiculous statement...

Yah, I wasn't trying to attack PiT if that's what PiT suggests, but seriously, Satanism? You've got to be out of your mind..................... Satanism is basically an attention-whore clique that exists solely to cause trouble.

While I wouldn't call Satanism disgusting or inconsistent with libertarianism, I do agree with Segway that it is a pretty "hey look at me I'm an attention whore!" theology.
Why can't people just be happy with atheism?
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 08:14:36 PM »

Satanism is a fairly logical position for a libertarian to hold, actually. It's the ultimate rejection of servitude to others & likewise an assertion of independence.

If people do not take me seriously because I have the guts to question the normal views, then that's their problem; not mine. I march to my own drummer.

Satanism is disgusting.

I'm not a Satanist for obvious reasons, so I am not sure what you are attempting to accomplish by posting that.

You've got to admit that "Satanism is a fairly logical position for a libertarian to hold" was a pretty ridiculous statement...

Yah, I wasn't trying to attack PiT if that's what PiT suggests, but seriously, Satanism? You've got to be out of your mind..................... Satanism is basically an attention-whore clique that exists solely to cause trouble.

While I wouldn't call Satanism disgusting or inconsistent with libertarianism, I do agree with Segway that it is a pretty "hey look at me I'm an attention whore!" theology.

Cause atheism is also an example of "hey look at me I'm an attention whore!"

So choosing not to subject our lives in fear of an invisible sky daddy is being an attention whore? Not getting up way too early on Sunday dressing in fancy clothes and going to a building and singing loudly to songs so people can hear how good we sound is being an attention whore?  Not believing in this God dude is being an attention whore?
lolwut?
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 08:18:08 PM »

Atheism is not attention whoring. I don't agree with it, but most followers actually have reasons for holding their views, much as I do with my faith. Satanists on the other hand are just people looking to stir sh**t up and be "nonconformists".

I completely agree with that summation.
I was just responding to Libertas claim that atheism was nothing more than an attention whore theology.
Honestly I would rather watch reruns of Miami Vice than stand on a street corner yelling "LOL God!"
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 08:22:58 PM »
« Edited: March 12, 2010, 08:25:46 PM by Mechahole »

Satanism is disgusting.

Cause atheism is also an example of "hey look at me I'm an attention whore!"

So choosing not to subject our lives in fear of an invisible sky daddy is being an attention whore? Not getting up way too early on Sunday dressing in fancy clothes and going to a building and singing loudly to songs so people can hear how good we sound is being an attention whore?  Not believing in this God dude is being an attention whore?
lolwut?

Yes, being an atheist certainly gets you the attention you desire, being from Oklahoma.

I am not a non-vocal, closet atheist in the middle of Oklaf***inghoma because I crave attention.  I am one because I simply don't feel like donating time and money to something that I obviously don't believe is real.  I don't walk around shouting "hey look at me everyone I'm an atheist!"  In fact, the only times I ever say that I am one is if someone asks.
How can I be getting the attention I desire if I don't even go out of my way to tell anyone?

Is the idea that people don't believe in God so radical for you to comprehend?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies