"380 Tons of Explosive Story" - SEE "DRUDGE"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:03:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  "380 Tons of Explosive Story" - SEE "DRUDGE"
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Author Topic: "380 Tons of Explosive Story" - SEE "DRUDGE"  (Read 17649 times)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2004, 09:53:23 PM »

[
So they must not be missing? What sort of argument is this? Anyways, trucks can take away much more than 50 pounds at a time.

And the correct answer to your calculation is 15,600.

A guy here in California had an entire vacation house stolen.
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Wrong on the weight; these are metric tons.  The trucks were mentioned on another thread.  You'd need 40 and you'd need someone to load them. 

It's exceptionally hard to do something like this, without a lot of support.

Yeah, I guess it couldn't have happened. The explosives are still there. And 9/11 never happened.

You really don't understand the concept, do you?  It would be entirely possible for a group of terrorists to grab some explosives, possibly using a truck, a lot, several thousand pounds.  It's not possible, without a great deal of organization, to transport 300 metric tons from a site.

They were not stolen.  

Explain to me why it's not possible? They probably had several days.

If they tried to carry it out, at 50 pounds per man, it would take more than 16,600 men to do it (or 8,300 over two days).  If they are using trucks, one story indicated it would take 40 trucks, exclusive of loading and eventually unloading.  There, I have dumbed it down for you so that you can understand it.

Trying to distribute it would take even more effort.

Basically this is something that takes time, more than several days.  If it's a small group, about 2 dozen, try about two weeks to a month.  If this were 2 or 3 guys with a truck, they'd still be doing it.

<<jFOOL's expletive showing his lack of verbal skills deleted>> you, I can do the math.

Obviously, you don't understand how the math works in this case.  A single truck cannot carry 300 metric tons.  It will take 40 trips by a single truck, or 40 trips divided among several truck to load that much weight.  Those trucks each have to be loaded and if there is less than 40, unloaded.  This isn't something that could be done in two or three days, unless you have several hundred people doing it, and 40 trucks.

With this much weight, it cannot be easily done.

How could more than 1 truckload be involved? No!!!!!!

Of course I understand that 1 person didn't move it in an hour. We don't know how it got taken, but we do know that it's gone, and is in the hands of people not friendly to our boys over there.
shankbear

« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2004, 10:06:32 PM »

The RADICAL ISLAMISTS have killed more Muslims than they have U.S. soldiers.  I am not minimizing our losses but the bad guy's main targets are the people who want freedom in Iraq.  They kill Iraqi cops, soldiers, civilians, et al 500 to 1 over combatants wearing the coalition stripes.

J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2004, 10:10:54 PM »

Of course I understand that 1 person didn't move it in an hour. We don't know how it got taken, but we do know that it's gone, and is in the hands of people not friendly to our boys over there.

Did you ever see the magician's trick where someone goes into a box and the magician runs swords through the box?  Then he opens the box and the guy isn't in there?  Why doesn't the guy inside get all cut up?  Simple, he wasn't in the box.  Same principle.

The Pentagon questions (along with NBC) if there were any explosives there.  It looks like they were removed prior to the Airborne showing up.  These explosives may have been in the numerous batches that were destroyed.  This 300 metric tons amounts to 0.1% of the total explosives destroyed by US forces so far.

Basically, unless it was a large organized group, with extensive transport, these expolsives were not stolen.  Now, possibly a group of terrorists could looted a lot of explosives, but not this amount.  One truck cannot carry 300 tons in on trip.

Rent the movie Goldfinger and you will see the problem.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2004, 10:14:18 PM »

Did you ever see the magician's trick where someone goes into a box and the magician runs swords through the box?  Then he opens the box and the guy isn't in there?  Why doesn't the guy inside get all cut up?  Simple, he wasn't in the box.  Same principle.

The Pentagon questions (along with NBC) if there were any explosives there.  It looks like they were removed prior to the Airborne showing up.  These explosives may have been in the numerous batches that were destroyed.  This 300 metric tons amounts to 0.1% of the total explosives destroyed by US forces so far.

Basically, unless it was a large organized group, with extensive transport, these expolsives were not stolen.  Now, possibly a group of terrorists could looted a lot of explosives, but not this amount.  One truck cannot carry 300 tons in on trip.

Rent the movie Goldfinger and you will see the problem.

This is 380 tons of non-ordinary explosives.

ONE POUND OF IT TOOK DOWN PAN AM FLIGHT 103

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/news/world/10007264.htm?1c

When I want someone who cares about security, I'm never going to look for a Republican.
shankbear

« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2004, 10:16:33 PM »

well ok fern
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2004, 10:21:18 PM »

This is 380 tons of non-ordinary explosives.

ONE POUND OF IT TOOK DOWN PAN AM FLIGHT 103

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/news/world/10007264.htm?1c

When I want someone who cares about security, I'm never going to look for a Republican.

Or ZERO TONS, POUNDS OR OUNCES based on NBC's reporting.
sgpine
Rookie

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2004, 11:54:53 PM »

http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=JPost/JPArticle/ShowFull&cid=1098677410357

At the Pentagon, an official who monitors developments in Iraq said US-led coalition troops had searched Al-Qaqaa in the immediate aftermath of the March 2003 invasion and confirmed that the explosives, which had been under IAEA seal since 1991, were intact. Thereafter the site was not secured by U.S. forces, the official said, also speaking on condition of anonymity.

--------------

Furthermore, in regards to this story the White House is claiming they knew nothing of the missing weapons until 10 days ago...which can't be true if Drudge's theory is correct.

I'm not buying it until I see some much better evidence than gossip on Drudge

shankbear

« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2004, 11:57:09 PM »

Drudge only went with NBC news version.
sgpine
Rookie

« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2004, 12:01:43 AM »

Drudge only went with NBC news version.

Link to NBC saying this?

MSNBC's story has the same quote as above...that a Pentagon office said that the seals were checked immediately after the invasion and that they were intact.

J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2004, 12:03:43 AM »

http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=JPost/JPArticle/ShowFull&cid=1098677410357

At the Pentagon, an official who monitors developments in Iraq said US-led coalition troops had searched Al-Qaqaa in the immediate aftermath of the March 2003 invasion and confirmed that the explosives, which had been under IAEA seal since 1991, were intact. Thereafter the site was not secured by U.S. forces, the official said, also speaking on condition of anonymity.

--------------

Furthermore, in regards to this story the White House is claiming they knew nothing of the missing weapons until 10 days ago...which can't be true if Drudge's theory is correct.

I'm not buying it until I see some much better evidence than gossip on Drudge

It would next to impossible to move 300 tons of explosives, without a massive and well organized effort.  I'm betting Drudge.  They might have been accounted for at some other location.
khirkhib

« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2004, 02:34:35 AM »

There is no NBC story.  Drudge said there will soon be an NBC story. Its true, there are many unknowns and this will not be solved by election day.  Bush may dodge this bullet.

But a group of former Baathists military officers working with a crew could probably scrounge up a couple trucks and a good sized work crew.  They wouldn't have to bring it far, could bring it to a storage point and have had plenty of time now to distribute it through out the country.  If I were a fighting an "invasion" the first thing I would try to get my hands on our the weapons.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2004, 02:46:32 AM »

There is no NBC story.  Drudge said there will soon be an NBC story. Its true, there are many unknowns and this will not be solved by election day.  Bush may dodge this bullet.

But a group of former Baathists military officers working with a crew could probably scrounge up a couple trucks and a good sized work crew.  They wouldn't have to bring it far, could bring it to a storage point and have had plenty of time now to distribute it through out the country.  If I were a fighting an "invasion" the first thing I would try to get my hands on our the weapons.

So we're supposed to trust Drudge? LOL. Where's Baghdad Bob when you need him?
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2004, 03:28:07 AM »

So we're supposed to trust Drudge? LOL. Where's Baghdad Bob when you need him?

Working for Abu Dhabi TV.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2004, 07:18:48 AM »

Shouldn't this stuff be in the campaign forum?
shankbear

« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2004, 07:59:02 AM »

Probably should be in the Campaign section.  CNN is now reporting the NBC version.  Interesting stuff.  Has the Times screwed the pooch on this like CBS did with the TANG stuff?
Engineer
Rookie

« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2004, 08:08:19 AM »

So in summary, the explosives were stolen (we can be sure of that since it is anonymous source) and not missing (since that comes from actual news reporters who were there).  

Also since what is "missing" amounts to less than 0.1% of the total amount found in Iraq, the military therefore must be incompetent (only 99.9% efficient - even Ivory soap isn't that pure).  

If only the Yankees fielding percentage was that "incompetent", they might have beaten Boston.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2004, 11:59:40 AM »

Here is what MSNBC is now saying:

"An NBC News crew that accompanied U.S. soldiers who seized the Al-Qaqaa base three weeks into the war in Iraq reported that troops discovered significant stockpiles of bombs, but no sign of the missing HMX and RDX explosives.

"It remains unclear, however, how extensively the U.S. forces searched the site in the immediate aftermath of the invasion to topple Saddam Hussein.

"Signs of looting seen at war's end
The State Department spokesman Adam Ereli said that coalition forces searched 32 bunkers and 87 other buildings at Al Qaqaa facility after the war, looking for weapons of mass destruction. He said the troops found none, but did see signs of looting."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6323933/

It would have taken a massive effort to remove that much weight.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2004, 02:40:27 PM »

MSNBC has been running the cited story on it's broadcast.
shankbear

« Reply #43 on: October 26, 2004, 04:25:39 PM »

What's the status of this Times screwup now?  Are The Guardian and the Times owned by the same Democrapweasels?
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2004, 04:35:22 PM »

And how is it that Bush is the guy to keep us safe? Because he said smoke em out of the caves?

This "Keep us safe" issue is really all Bush has got to keep him from losing in a Jimmy Carter style defeat. Except he doesn't really have it. It is all a myth. The War on Terror is spiraling downward. We have fewer nations helping us than three years ago and Al Queda has many, many more recruits. Now, very possibly tons of explosives.

How can half the country defend this guy???
Prospero
Rookie

« Reply #45 on: October 26, 2004, 05:02:56 PM »

"Every soldier serving today, understands that John Kerry’s comments on this issue are additional insults to those that are serving. Those of us in uniform are thankful that George W. Bush did learn the lesson of Vietnam and is not micro-managing like Robert McNamara."

What fluff nonsense.  All people serving in Iraq are not unanimous.  I'll bet one could find more than a few who are not thrilled to be over there.

As far as learning the lessons of Vietnam, I doubt GW Bush has learned anything.  Whether or not there is micromanagement of not, it's almost impossible to win a guerrilla war unless you're willing to kill an entire population.  We haven't learned that lesson of Vietnam.

A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #46 on: October 26, 2004, 05:09:06 PM »

They support Bush by a 3 to 1 margin.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: October 26, 2004, 05:16:06 PM »

There is no NBC story.
NBC retracted.
Time for Drudge to retract.
Prospero
Rookie

« Reply #48 on: October 26, 2004, 05:25:47 PM »

They support Bush by a 3 to 1 margin.
So I guess that means I'm correct.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #49 on: October 26, 2004, 05:27:50 PM »

Yes, it means that only 75% of our soldiers disagree with you.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies