Why did Obama pick Biden over Bayh?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 10:57:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2008 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Why did Obama pick Biden over Bayh?  (Read 13788 times)
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: May 31, 2010, 02:37:17 PM »

Everything Obama has ever done has been pure politics. He has nothing in common with the average ordinary individual.

Same for many other Presidents, including Reagan and Bush Jr.
First of all, there is no Bush jr. There is a George HW Bush and a George W Bush. Secondly, everything that Bush did was not political. One thing that I like about President Bush is that he put the country first and himself and politics last. He said that no matter what happened to him politically, he wanted to keep America safe. Another President like that is Jimmy Carter. He said basically the same thing but in a different situation. He said that no matter what happened to him, he wanted the hostages to come home. I think that our country is blessed to have Presidents like those two. Presidents who can say that they pay no attention to polls and do not care what happens to themselves politically, they only care about what is best for the country are the types of Presidents that we need more of. President Obama does not join that group.

Ronald Reagan also wanted what was best for the country. He made some mistakes. He thought that his economic plan helped the poor, that was wrong. It helped the rich. He and President Johnson, and Franklin Roosevelt are the three presidents who we can blame for the national deficit. Reagan did make some mistakes. But, he made people feel happier again. He asked Americans if they were better off than they were four years ago and in 1980 they were not. He asked them again in 1989 and they were better off. They were happier...children went to bed at night without the fear of nuclear war thanks to Ronald Reagan. The Russians and the Americans had good relations for the first time in fifty years thanks to Ronald Reagan. For a time during the Reagan years, 300,000 jobs were created per month. That was once again thanks to Ronald Reagan. So, Reagan did a lot of good things as well. And there is no real evidence to prove that everything that Reagan did was political as there is not for George W Bush.

I think that your comment is a partisan political comment rather than a factual comment.

GWB did not care about the American people first. If he did, he would not have been so fiscally irresponsible, would not have passed his 2003 tax cuts, and would not have gone into Iraq (since it did not pose an immediate threat to the U.S.). Carter did care for the American people first, but he was too indecisive to do mmuch good. The inflation rate drastically increased under his watch and he did nothing about it for most of his Presidency. Reagan did not want what was best for the country. He never thought his economic policy favored the poor; he always knew it favored the rich. That trickle-down crap was just made up so that poor and middle class voters would vote for him. He and his economic advisors never believed in it themselves. As for the deficit, FDR had to handle the Great Depression and WWII, so his large deficits are excusable. As for LBJ, he also had to fight a war, and even in taht case his deficits were less than Reagan's. Reagan had no excuse to create such huge deficits that our children and grandchildern would later have to pay off. Also, Reagan began the process of financial deregulation which later helped cause the 2008 fiancnail crisis. Just because the economy recovered under his watch doesn't mean Reagan had anything to do with the economic recovery. For making people feel happy again, many other Presidents have also managed to do that--Teddy Roosevelt, Coolidge, FDR, JFK, Clinton, and Obama all being prominent examples. The reason that the U.S. had good realtions with the Soviet Union at the end of Reagan's Presidency was because Gorbachev came to power, which had nothing to do with Reagan. And I'm not sure I would have called U.S.-Soviet relations the best in 50 years in 1989. And again, Reagan's large job creation had very little to do with his actual economic policies. What proof do you have that everything Obama is doing is political and not just out of a desire to improve the lives of ordinary Americans?
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #51 on: May 31, 2010, 02:43:01 PM »

Everything Obama has ever done has been pure politics. He has nothing in common with the average ordinary individual.

I thought Bush Jr. was as middle America as you can get with his cowboy attire and stuttering.

No, he was just pretending to be an average guy. In reality, considering he was born rich and had everything given to him on a silver platter, he does not understand ordinary Americans and their lives and struggles. Heck, Obama is more middle American than Bush. Obama was middle-class for his early life, while Bush was always extremely rich.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #52 on: May 31, 2010, 03:03:10 PM »

I thought Bush Jr. was as middle America as you can get with his cowboy attire and stuttering.

No, he was just pretending to be an average guy. In reality, considering he was born rich and had everything given to him on a silver platter, he does not understand ordinary Americans and their lives and struggles. Heck, Obama is more middle American than Bush. Obama was middle-class for his early life, while Bush was always extremely rich.

George W. Bush is one of the few people who is able to combine the negative attributes of the rich with the negative attributes of the poor.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #53 on: May 31, 2010, 03:37:58 PM »

George W. Bush is one of the few people who is able to combine the negative attributes of the rich with the negative attributes of the poor.

Amen to that. Combining the elitism of the rich with the stubbornness, awkwardness, and lack of intellect of the poor is often pretty hard to do.
DS0816
« Reply #54 on: May 31, 2010, 11:08:59 PM »

Then-Sen. Joe Biden [D-Delaware] was, by far, a better choice than Sen. Evan Bayh [D-Indiana].
justW353
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.83

« Reply #55 on: May 31, 2010, 11:23:48 PM »

Another consideration was that Biden's replacement in the Senate would have been picked by Democratic Governor Ruth Ann Minner. If Bayh had been chosen, Republican Mitch Daniels would have picked a Republican to replace him, altering the balance of power.

Biden was a much better choice than Bayh.
So, it was just purely politics?

Well, judging by their chemistry, I'd say they were good friends as well.  Biden's also got a lot more charisma than Bayh.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #56 on: June 01, 2010, 07:32:21 AM »

First of all, there is no Bush jr. There is a George HW Bush and a George W Bush. Secondly, everything that Bush did was not political. One thing that I like about President Bush is that he put the country first and himself and politics last. He said that no matter what happened to him politically, he wanted to keep America safe. Another President like that is Jimmy Carter. He said basically the same thing but in a different situation. He said that no matter what happened to him, he wanted the hostages to come home. I think that our country is blessed to have Presidents like those two. Presidents who can say that they pay no attention to polls and do not care what happens to themselves politically, they only care about what is best for the country are the types of Presidents that we need more of. President Obama does not join that group.

Ronald Reagan also wanted what was best for the country. He made some mistakes. He thought that his economic plan helped the poor, that was wrong. It helped the rich. He and President Johnson, and Franklin Roosevelt are the three presidents who we can blame for the national deficit. Reagan did make some mistakes. But, he made people feel happier again. He asked Americans if they were better off than they were four years ago and in 1980 they were not. He asked them again in 1989 and they were better off. They were happier...children went to bed at night without the fear of nuclear war thanks to Ronald Reagan. The Russians and the Americans had good relations for the first time in fifty years thanks to Ronald Reagan. For a time during the Reagan years, 300,000 jobs were created per month. That was once again thanks to Ronald Reagan. So, Reagan did a lot of good things as well. And there is no real evidence to prove that everything that Reagan did was political as there is not for George W Bush.

I think that your comment is a partisan political comment rather than a factual comment.

President Bush like alot of his fellow Texans was an honest man led by his Christian principles. As for Reagan, 300,000 jobs a month? Ah ok sounds good to me.

Will someone please explain to me why I don't have Derek on ignore yet? Roll Eyes

Wait, never mind..... <remedies situation>
Ameriplan
WilliamSargent
Faroe Islands

« Reply #57 on: June 07, 2010, 11:25:18 PM »

Another consideration was that Biden's replacement in the Senate would have been picked by Democratic Governor Ruth Ann Minner. If Bayh had been chosen, Republican Mitch Daniels would have picked a Republican to replace him, altering the balance of power.

Biden was a much better choice than Bayh.

That's exactly why and the rest of these theories are crap because they assume that Democrats care about who is best suited to lead our nation. It's all politics and power grabs with them.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #58 on: June 08, 2010, 01:03:06 AM »

Bayh is not competent to lead anything.  If he was, he would be President right now instead of a complete nobody.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #59 on: June 08, 2010, 01:10:56 AM »

Bayh is not competent to lead anything.  If he was, he would be President right now instead of a complete nobody.

He's competent, just uncharismatic. He did a pretty good job as Governor of Indiana, if I recall correctly.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #60 on: June 08, 2010, 10:48:16 PM »

Other than the whole being born into a millionaire family with political family members who had already reached high office.

I'm so jealous of him. Look his father worked hard for that fortune. And I bet that in Crawford, TX if someone lost their job or couldn't afford food for their family, Bush knew them by name. That's alot more than big government liberals have to offer.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies