Is it conceivable that Trump could still drop Pence?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:20:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Is it conceivable that Trump could still drop Pence?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Is it conceivable that Trump could still drop Pence?  (Read 1712 times)
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 15, 2016, 04:10:26 PM »

We know from reports that Trump had misgivings late Thursday night, July 14, about Pence, before tweeting that he had chosen Pence.

Is it even conceivable that at some point, Trump drops Pence from the ticket?

Or is it too late now?

Remember, we are talking about Trump here.

Please discuss.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2016, 04:17:56 PM »

You don't admit mistakes publicly. But there are conceivable ways around that when you have the mafia on your side Tongue
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2016, 04:20:29 PM »

McGovern/Eagleton
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2016, 04:41:46 PM »

I was thinking this a couple of days ago.
Like you say, we are talking about trump ..... so yes, it is possible.
More so, than our "usual" past candidates (R or D).
SillyAmerican
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2016, 08:01:14 PM »

My understanding is that Pence had a hard deadline of noon today for indicating his plans vis-a-vis the Indiana governorship. So no, Trump cannot / should not drop Pence; his ticket is set...
Liberalrocks
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2016, 08:04:18 PM »

Yes, or less likely Pence could drop Trump. This is not a solid relationship.
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 3.00, S: -0.41

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2016, 08:05:32 PM »

Theoretically but he won't, I guess if he really wanted someone else  he could have the delegates vote against Pence at the convention.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2016, 08:14:45 PM »

My understanding is that Pence had a hard deadline of noon today for indicating his plans vis-a-vis the Indiana governorship. So no, Trump cannot / should not drop Pence; his ticket is set...

This is true, Pence's attorney (or other direct rep) filed the paperwork by noon today (the deadline), so that he is now officially out of the governor's race in Indiana.
But that does not mean that trump would not "dump" him as his VP.
trump is the kind of individual that has no loyalty to people, so he would care less to treat Pence with any respect.
trump is the type of person that has a boner one day about an issue or person, and the next day it's trash ; "flavor of the month" type attitude.
CactusJack
Rookie
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2016, 08:22:51 PM »

He just selected him after a long long vetting process. He's not dropping him.

Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2016, 10:02:45 PM »

Trump never, ever, ever admits to making mistakes.
PeteB
Canada

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2016, 10:14:00 PM »

The only 3 possible reasons to do this would be:

1. A major scandal involving Pence (highly unlikely).
2. Unified pressure from delegates at the Convention  to choose someone else (no unity or common purpose for this)
3. One of Trump's A-listers (Kasich, Rice) decides to accept to be VP and Trump does a 180 on Pence (if it didn't happen by now, it probably won't).

So, very likely the GOP ticket is set: Trump-Pence 2016.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2016, 10:23:29 PM »

I am personally of the view that the ticket is set, Trump/Pence, and will remain in place.

I am dismayed, however, as we have learned from Dana Bash of CNN, on the extremely, and I do mean extremely, shabby, shoddy, sloppy, stupid, selfish, inconsiderate way that Trump handled this whole affair.

The first major decision a Presidential nominee makes is to name a Vice Presidential nominee, and Trump handled this major, important matter miserably.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2016, 10:27:06 PM »

I am personally of the view that the ticket is set, Trump/Pence, and will remain in place.

I am dismayed, however, as we have learned from Dana Bash of CNN, on the extremely, and I do mean extremely, shabby, shoddy, sloppy, stupid, selfish, inconsiderate way that Trump handled this whole affair.

The first major decision a Presidential nominee makes is to name a Vice Presidential nominee, and Trump handled this major, important matter miserably.

JW how so?

I'm not disagreeing with you I just want to hear examples and an explanation.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2016, 10:52:12 PM »

If he does then that would show his integrity and credibility as a candidate. Which would be in the toilet as far as I'm concerned.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2016, 12:11:43 AM »

JW how so?

I'm not disagreeing with you I just want to hear examples and an explanation.

http://www.thewrap.com/donald-trump-had-cold-feet-about-vp-selection-mike-pence-reports/

Says it all.

I have no reason not to believe the Dana Bash CNN account.

I trust her more than I trust the Trump campaign.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2016, 06:10:51 PM »

Knowing Trump, he might dump the guy in September.
Fuzzy Says: "Abolish NPR!"
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2016, 09:35:23 PM »

No.  If Trump dumps Pence for reasons other than those of Pence having actively deceived him about something in his background or personal life of significance, he'll lose in a landslide. 

This is a shotgun marriage, with Rev. Paul Ryan presiding.  Trump likes the bride somewhat, but Pence is one of the few "movement conservatives" with not a load of negative statements about Trump he has to walk back.  He's married to Pence like the Parris Island recruits in Full Metal Jacket are "married to this piece now; to this weapon of iron and wood.  AND YOU WILL BE FAITHFUL!"  Trump is a maggot who understands and will be faithful.  Pence may not be Trump's Best Buddy, but he's here to stay, in a Spiro Agnew kind of way.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2016, 09:47:54 PM »

If Pence plays his part and doesn't undercut Trump at all, no. If Pence publicly disagrees with Trump on something, though, we might hear "Mike, you're fired."
Fuzzy Says: "Abolish NPR!"
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2016, 06:29:54 AM »

TRUMP won't admit such a mistake in public. More likely is that Pence himself leaves; maybe citing that there's a too big risk to lose the governor's seat in Indiana for the Republicans. "I'm needed in Indiana right now", Pence could say.

However, more likely is that Pence stays on, but does not play a big role in the campaign as well as Vice President. I think Big Don should have chosen someone else (Christie, Brown for example but not Newt). I also think that he only picked Pence because his children wanted to have him on the ticket.

I think it's clear that Trump took Pence (with the prodding of the more saavy members of his inner circle) because he was a Movement Conservative who has no history of being hostile to him.  It's the equivalent of George McGovern picking Jimmy Carter as his running mate in 1972.  Carter, while a leader of the ABM (Anyone But McGovern) forces, and a Jackson supporter (stiffing George Wallace in the process) actively sought to be McGovern's running mate, and, quite frankly, it would have been a better pick than either pick he made.  Carter, while critical of McGovern and apart from him on some issues, had not made any statements up until that point to where he could not have supported McGovern credibly.  McGovern had the problem that Trump is having; many significant Governors, Representatives, Senators, and other high-profile GOP VIPs are saying that they won't endorse Trump, even if only to say they'll vote for him in November.  Pence may get a number of stubborn folks to say that, at a minimum, that they'll vote for Trump, and this is something that would stop the spread of a real problem, and contain it for Trump.

ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2016, 01:58:58 PM »

TRUMP won't admit such a mistake in public. More likely is that Pence himself leaves; maybe citing that there's a too big risk to lose the governor's seat in Indiana for the Republicans. "I'm needed in Indiana right now", Pence could say.

Pence removed his name from the governor's race in Indiana.
The deadline was Friday at noon.
If not mistaken, Pence is out of the race .... he can not have his name on the ballot ... the deadline has passed.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies