1976: A New America- Gameply Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:04:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  1976: A New America- Gameply Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9
Author Topic: 1976: A New America- Gameply Thread  (Read 29121 times)
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: March 20, 2010, 09:18:49 PM »

Carter says that he is a staunch supporter of affirmative action, and not only by race but by income as well. Carter attacks Ted Kennedy severely for causing Mary Jo Kopechne's death and for not calling the police that night, which might have saved her live. Carter asks Americans if they would be comfortable having a murderer in the White House, because having a murderer in the Oval Office would be even worse than having a crook in there.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #51 on: March 20, 2010, 09:24:03 PM »

Speaking at a rally in Columbia, Missouri, Governor George Wallace is endorsed by Alabama Senators John Sparkman and James Allen. He is also endorsed by former Georgia Governor Lester Maddox. Speaking about Governor Wallace, Sparkman states...

George Wallace is a man of integrity and has the experience to lead this nation in the right direction! I am confident that under a Wallace administration, Americans will have a better tomorrow. Join me, and let's make America greater than ever before!- John Sparkman

yougo1000
United States

« Reply #52 on: March 20, 2010, 10:02:01 PM »

President Ford makes 7 appearances in New Hampshire and Iowa.
Sewer
SpaceCommunistMutant
Junior Chimp
« Reply #53 on: March 20, 2010, 11:04:22 PM »

Jerry Brown is endorsed by Senator William Proxmire of Wisconsin.

Jerry Brown: I thank Senator Proxmire for his endorsement, he is a leader for ending the wasting of taxpayer dollars, and an advocate of campaign finance reform.
justW353
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.83

« Reply #54 on: March 20, 2010, 11:33:32 PM »

Carter says that he is a staunch supporter of affirmative action, and not only by race but by income as well. Carter attacks Ted Kennedy severely for causing Mary Jo Kopechne's death and for not calling the police that night, which might have saved her live. Carter asks Americans if they would be comfortable having a murderer in the White House, because having a murderer in the Oval Office would be even worse than having a crook in there.

Kennedy:  Now, I think that while Governor Carter is being a slanderous politician, much the opposite of his campaign promises, he calls for answers.  These answers must be given, and I intend to give them.

I have never escaped the despair I have felt since that event.  I never expect to escape the guilt I feel for it.  My behavior was inexcusable, and I made terrible mistakes at the time.  I will never forgive myself for what I failed to do on that night.  Atonement is a process that never ends, and and while I have had to live every day with the consequences of the accident that claimed the life of Miss Kopechne, her family has had to endure worse. 

That night on Chappaquiddick Island ended in a horrible tragedy that haunts me every day of my life.  It was an accident, but it was an accident I was responsible for.  I regret constantly not informing the police.  I will not deny it; my brain was addled by concussion, exhaustion, shock and panic - and, in all honesty, the knowledge that the accident would hurt me politically. 

I am no longer hiding my past.  It is in the open.  I made a mistake, one that haunts me everywhere I go.  However, if I can make the world a better place for those who are here now, at least I will be able to say my that for all my mistakes, at least I did some things right.

Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #55 on: March 21, 2010, 01:55:06 AM »

Carter attacks Ted Kennedy and calls him a hypocrite, since Kennedy wanted Nixon to face justice while refusing to face justice himself for Chapaquiddick. Carter also says Ted Kennedy should have resigned his Senate seat after killing Mary Jo Kopechne. Finally, Carter says that he assumes Ted Kennedy agrees with his policy platform since he hears no criticism from Ted Kennedy about any of his ideas.
Junkie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -4.35

« Reply #56 on: March 21, 2010, 11:11:05 AM »

US Ambassador to the United Kingdom Elliot Richardson resigns from his position.  He cites the Administrations confusing messages about the Vietnam and the disaster that resulted.

The next day Citizens for Richardson is created in Boston.
yougo1000
United States

« Reply #57 on: March 21, 2010, 11:31:23 AM »

Gerald Ford accepts Richardson's resignation with sorrow.

The next day Ford picks up phone and calls Harold Stassen.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #58 on: March 21, 2010, 02:34:34 PM »

Governor Reagan makes announcement in California, surrounded by thousands of supporters.

"I'm a candidate for the Republican nomination for president. But I hope that you who are Independents and Democrats will let me talk to you also tonight because the problems facing our country are problems that just don't bear any party label."

"In this election season the White House is telling us a solid economic recovery is taking place. It claims a slight drop in unemployment. It says that prices aren't going up as fast, but they are still going up, and that the stock market has shown some gains. But, in fact, things seem just about as they were back in the 1972 election year. Remember, we were also coming out of a recession then. Inflation had been running at round 6 percent. Unemployment about 7 [percent]. Remember, too, the upsurge and the optimism lasted through the election year and into 1973. And then the roof fell in. Once again we had unemployment. Only this time not 7 percent, more than 10. And inflation wasn't 6 percent, it was 12 percent. Now, in this election year 1976, we're told we're coming out of this recession just because inflation and unemployment rates have fallen, to what they were at the worst of the previous recession. If history repeats itself, will we be talking recovery four years from now merely because we've reduced inflation from 25 percent to 12 percent?"

"My fellow Americans, now more then ever we need proven leadership in Washington that can turn around our economy and nation. Now is not the time to be soft on communisim, we must fight hard and win the battle. If we stand together as one nation, unifed, we can and will accomplish anything we put our minds to. God bless you, and God bless the United States of America!"

Reagan then travels to Iowa and New Hampshire to meet and greet voters. In Iowa Reagan promises to challenge President Ford in a debate.
yougo1000
United States

« Reply #59 on: March 21, 2010, 02:51:58 PM »

Gerald Ford calls Ronald Reagan.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #60 on: March 21, 2010, 02:59:16 PM »

George Wallace campaign with Lester Maddox in Tennessee and Kentucky. Speaking to a crowd in Lexington, Kentucky, George Wallace fires up the crowd with an aggressive and spirited speech.

My friends, Americans cannot afford 4 more years of the weak leadership Gerald Ford is giving us. We also cannot afford the scary politics of Ronald Reagan. Having perfect hair ain't going to get you too far, and it's high time he realizes this. My friends, America needs a strong, forceful leader who will be able to stand up for this nation and it's people all the time. Gerald Ford has failed at this, pardoning a criminal who never even got punished. My friends, great things can happen in America, and I'm ready to help make those great things happen! Join me, and together, we can make America greater than it ever was before!
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #61 on: March 21, 2010, 05:03:53 PM »

To a crowd in North Carolina Reagan talks about the need for tax cuts to stimulate the economy, create good paying jobs, saving jobs and bring jobs over seas to work in the United States.
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #62 on: March 21, 2010, 08:27:26 PM »

Democratic Map

Kennedy-33 %
Brown- 28%
Carter- 25%
Wallace- 23%

Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #63 on: March 21, 2010, 08:28:47 PM »

Governor Carter calls Governor Wallace and is waiting for him to pick up.

http://www.picturehistory.com/images/products/1/2/0/prod_12057.jpg
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #64 on: March 21, 2010, 08:32:02 PM »

Reagan hosts town halls in Iowa, New Hampshire, Wyoming, Texas, California and Massachusetts. Reagan says "Now more than ever we are in need of honest, proven leadership. Washington is corrupt and cannot be trusted, we need leadership in there with proven experience to turn Washington around so once again we can trust one another and move future. We may not agree all the time, but we can agree we need open, public debate, not closed door deals and corrupt politicians."
Junkie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -4.35

« Reply #65 on: March 21, 2010, 08:32:47 PM »
« Edited: March 21, 2010, 08:34:30 PM by Junkie »

The Richardson campaign begins with Herbert Brownell as National Chairman and Jock Whitney as Finance chairman.  Richardson starts by campaigning in Iowa with Congressman Jim Leach.  

Richardson accentuates that he is only current candidate with experience in all areas of the government:

-Foreign Affairs: Deputy Undersecretary of State (1969-1970) and Ambassador to the UK (1975)

-Executive: Lt. Governor of Massachusetts (1965-1967)

-Law and Order: US Attorney for Massachusetts (1959-1961) Attorney General of Massachusetts (1967-1969) US Attorney General (1973)

-Domestic Programs: Undersecretary of HEW (1957-1959); Secretary of HEW (1970-1973)

-Military: served in WWII and was decorated at Normandy; Secretary of Defense (1973)

More than anything else, Richardson talks about integrity.  As US Attorney, he prosecuted Republican fundraisers.  As US Attorney General he personally prosecuted Vice President Agnew and resigned rather than follow an illegal order from Nixon to fire the special prosecutor.

"These are troubled times at home and abroad.  I am the only one in either party that has the experience and the judgement required to better serve the American people."

After Iowa, Richardson travels to Vermont and New Hampshire.
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #66 on: March 21, 2010, 08:32:59 PM »
« Edited: March 21, 2010, 08:37:29 PM by SE Lt. Gov tb75 »

Republican Map

Ford- 40%
Reagan- 35%
Richardson- 20%
Stassen- 5%
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #67 on: March 21, 2010, 08:33:36 PM »

Governor Wallace picks up the phone...
"Hello?"
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #68 on: March 21, 2010, 08:35:20 PM »

Governor Reagan picks up the phone

"Yes?"
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #69 on: March 21, 2010, 08:40:43 PM »

Governor Wallace picks up the phone...
"Hello?"

Hey George, it's me, Jimmy Carter. I'll make you a deal. If you withdraw from the race right now and endorse me, I'll promise you the VP slot if I win the nomination. Do we have a deal?
yougo1000
United States

« Reply #70 on: March 21, 2010, 08:41:14 PM »

Hello Governor Reagan would you debate me
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #71 on: March 21, 2010, 08:43:49 PM »

"Mr. Carter, with all due respect, this election just started, and I'm only 2 points behind you in the polls. It can't even be guarenteed that you'll win the nomination. I'm sorry, Jimmy, but this is a risk I'm not going to take. I wish you the best of luck in this race, and I sincerely hope the best candidate wins."
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #72 on: March 21, 2010, 08:48:36 PM »

"Mr. Ford, you have already asked this and I have already answered this question in my one first speeches. Perhaps you should look at the news more often and get in touch with what's happening out there*chuckles*. I'll have my people work with your people for some times."

Reagan writes to other candidates in Republican race, asks them to join him and President Ford in a debate
Lahbas
United States

« Reply #73 on: March 21, 2010, 08:56:43 PM »

Stassen had been stunned by his relatively large position in the polls (in past elections since 1948 he hadn't even made it past 1) and has decided to make an extensive tour of the American Midwest, where much of his support seems to have originated.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The America that we know today is at a crossroads..........a fork the divides between that of corruption......and inefficiency........and the other that of freedom.......prosperity.......and small government. When we elected that treasonous man known as Tricky Dick to the White House as a Republican.......he became more of a Democrat than we ever knew. He tried to take hold of the free market.......and influence its course through fixed price and wage rates. We can see how well that plan has turned out.......as Americans now continue to lose jobs.....and our economy weakens. Vietnam has since become a disaster......and the South and poised to fall to the Communist North.......something that thousands of young Americans have fought an died to prevent from ever occurring. In the last couple years......we have found that we cannot even trust our Vice President......or even our own President......one whom we all used to trust......from being immune to the forces of corruption......from not secretly spreading lies and dist.........from not threatening the integrity of a Constitution that has stood against the tests of time. As your President........I promise to uphold the American Constitution..........to rake out the muck and corruption within Washington........and bring a new era of government by the people......for the people......."

- Excerpt of a speech by Harold Stassen in Chicago, Illinois
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #74 on: March 21, 2010, 08:59:11 PM »

George Wallace campaigns with Senator James Allen in West Virginia, Virginia, Ohio, and Oklahoma. Speaking to a crowd in Charleston, West Virginia, Allen makes a plea to Americans...

This is a critical and important election, that could change the course of America forever. I ask you, my fellow Americans, to vote with your conscience. Vote for the candidate who will fight for you! Vote for the candidate with the experience and leadership to move this country foward! Vote for George Wallace!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies