1976: A New America- Gameply Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:32:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  1976: A New America- Gameply Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 1976: A New America- Gameply Thread  (Read 29172 times)
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« on: March 20, 2010, 03:07:14 PM »

Governor Jimmy Carter of Georgia announces that he will run for President of the United States.

An except from his speech:

"I am running for President because I believe that the govt. needs to be honest and start serving the American people again. I am an outsider, and am thus able to clean up Washington from all its dishonesty and corruption. Also, I believe that the country needs a new leader to revive its economy, which has been suffering from high unemployment and inflation over the last several years. Nixon and Ford have been failures in initiating an economic recovery since they ignored the economic policies of the FDR, Truman, JFK, and LBJ administrations. I promise that I will increase govt. spending and raise interest rates in order to reduce the unemployment and inflation rates, and that many Americans will receive new jobs under my watch. President Ford has a very poor job creation record and if you want unemployment to remain high over the next four years, vote for him. If you want the unemployment rate to decrease, vote for me. Finally, I promise that I will never lie to you, unlike certain other politicians. Thank you."
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 04:11:42 PM »

Carter attacks Jerry Brown for his experience and Ted Kennedy for Chapaquiddick, arguing that he is the only honest, scandal-free, experienced Democrat who is able to defeat either Gerald Ford or Ronald Reagan in the fall.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 04:17:02 PM »

Jimmy Carter wishes President Ford a speedy recovery and hopes that Ford will recover soon. He calls on the other candidates to condemn the shooting as well and wish Ford a speedy recovery.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 04:26:01 PM »

Jimmy Carter says that as President, he will pardon all draft dodgers and also be tougher on crime. Carter also says that he will continue Nixon and Ford's foreign policies of detente and realpolitik.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2010, 04:31:47 PM »

Governor Carter says that he is glad Ford has recovered and is back to work. However, Carter asks Ford specifically what kind of change Ford will deliver if he is reelected.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2010, 04:37:42 PM »

Carter says that Nixon's experience allowed him to have good policies and that his personality flaws were what made him a bad President.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2010, 04:46:05 PM »

Carter releases some of his platform:

Abortion: I believe abortion should be safe, legal, and rare.

Gay rights: I believe in giving gay couples all the same rights as married couples. However, I still believe that marriage is between one man and one woman.

Economy: I believe in raising interest rates to defeat hyperinflation and in increasing govt. spending to reduce the unemployment rate.

Foreign policy: I will continue Nixon's and Ford's polciies of detente and realpolitik

Taxes: I will give middle-class and poor Americans a tax cut, while balancing the budget by raising taxes on the rich and large corporations.

Immigration: I believe we need to allow more qualified people to come to the U.S. legally. I also believe that illegals already in the U.S. should be given citizenship after they paid back all their taxes. I would support buidling a fence along the Mexican border and increase border security in order to prevent large amounts of people from coming to the U.S. illegally in the future.

Marijuana: I strongly oppose legalizing weed.

Enviornment: I support strengtening the power of the EPA and allowing it to become more active in protecting our environment and resources for future generations.

Renewable Energy: As this recent oil crisis has shown, we need to diversity our energy sources and promote renewable energy. As President, I promise that I will allocate large amounts of money so that the U.S. can get 20% of its energy from renewable sources by the year 2000.

This platform is also a response to Jerry Brown and Ted Kennedy, who argue that I do not have any specific policy ideas and that I do not have a vision for the country. This platform proves them wrong on both counts.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2010, 04:47:41 PM »

Jerry Brown: Nixon's good policies? Like what Vietnam and Cambodia? Really?

Like detente, creating the EPA, getting us out of Vietnam, helping out Israel during the Yom Kippur War, and promoting civil rights and integration.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2010, 05:21:21 PM »

Carter agrees with Jerry Brown and Ted Kennedy and says that there should be at least one debate between all the Democratic candidates. He also says that he is impressed that no one criticized his platform yet.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2010, 07:04:12 PM »

Jimmy Carter attacks Ford for pardoning Nixon, saying taht the former President should have been brought to justice and that Ford discredited that President's power of pardoning by using it on Nixon.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2010, 09:09:31 PM »

Jimmy Carter congratulates President Ford on withdrawing all U.S. troops and personnel from Vietnam. He says that the war has gone onf or long enough and since the U.S. can't win it, the best move would be to completely withdraw.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2010, 09:18:49 PM »

Carter says that he is a staunch supporter of affirmative action, and not only by race but by income as well. Carter attacks Ted Kennedy severely for causing Mary Jo Kopechne's death and for not calling the police that night, which might have saved her live. Carter asks Americans if they would be comfortable having a murderer in the White House, because having a murderer in the Oval Office would be even worse than having a crook in there.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2010, 01:55:06 AM »

Carter attacks Ted Kennedy and calls him a hypocrite, since Kennedy wanted Nixon to face justice while refusing to face justice himself for Chapaquiddick. Carter also says Ted Kennedy should have resigned his Senate seat after killing Mary Jo Kopechne. Finally, Carter says that he assumes Ted Kennedy agrees with his policy platform since he hears no criticism from Ted Kennedy about any of his ideas.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2010, 08:28:47 PM »

Governor Carter calls Governor Wallace and is waiting for him to pick up.

http://www.picturehistory.com/images/products/1/2/0/prod_12057.jpg
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2010, 08:40:43 PM »

Governor Wallace picks up the phone...
"Hello?"

Hey George, it's me, Jimmy Carter. I'll make you a deal. If you withdraw from the race right now and endorse me, I'll promise you the VP slot if I win the nomination. Do we have a deal?
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2010, 09:05:02 PM »

"Mr. Carter, with all due respect, this election just started, and I'm only 2 points behind you in the polls. It can't even be guarenteed that you'll win the nomination. I'm sorry, Jimmy, but this is a risk I'm not going to take. I wish you the best of luck in this race, and I sincerely hope the best candidate wins."

All right, George, I understand. If you change your mind later on, tell me and my offer might still remain on the table. And George, this conversation never happened.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2010, 12:50:29 AM »

Jimmy Carter picks up the phone.

"Ah, hello Jerry. What is it you wanted to talk to me about?"
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2010, 01:28:49 AM »

Jimmy Carter picks up the phone.

"Ah, hello Jerry. What is it you wanted to talk to me about?"

"Would you like to have a Non-Aggression Pact? You don't attack me I don't attack you."

Deal.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2010, 05:18:19 PM »

Jimmy Carter repeats his promise that as President, he will pardon all draft dodgers. He also attacks Ford for being unable to reduce the unemployment rate and produce a lot of new jobs for Americans.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies