Is 2012 going to be like 1964 for Republicans?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 04:52:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Is 2012 going to be like 1964 for Republicans?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Is 2012 going to be like 1964 for Republicans?  (Read 4090 times)
DS0816
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2010, 09:23:11 PM »
« edited: March 26, 2010, 09:40:28 PM by DS0816 »

Anyone who thinks Obama will win by an additional 5% or more is kidding themselves.…

And anyone, like yourself, who thinks the GOP — after being taken apart by their last honcho, George W. Bush, with his disasters, and with a political party having degenerated into an extreme cult — is going to make a comeback in winning back the presidency (or, at least, a marked shift in favor of their direction), within a mere four years, is the one who is kidding himself/herself.

Incumbents winning re-election commonly gain in percentage (and margin) for the popular vote, and a gain in Electoral College votes. (I wouldn't be surprised if the losing Republican, in 2012, fails to garner 40% of the popular vote.)

Obama — an additional five percent on top of the 52.87% he won in 2008, absolutely unthinkable? Not at all.

The Republican challenger — and thanks for the laughs over the cast of "hopefuls" — losing an additional five percent of the 45.60% garnered by their losing candidate of 2008, John McCain, unthinkable? Expected.
DS0816
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2010, 09:35:31 PM »

Look, nobody knows what the political climate is going to look like in 2012. Remember that Clinton's and Reagan's ratings were awful throughout their first term (and especially at midterm), and they both won solid reelections. George H.W. Bush enjoyed 60+ approval ratings throughout nearly his ENTIRE TERM, but was undone in his final 6 months by a poor economy.

I don't know what I'm having for dinner tomorrow. But when you consider it takes a couple years for a campaign to get going, and what's happening now, it's no mystery what's coming up in 2012. The GOP is f'd. And we'll be seeing our first 400-vote victory of a re-election landslide since the 1980s.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2010, 10:18:38 PM »

intellectual idealogue a la Mitt Romney

get real
Lahbas
United States

« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2010, 11:30:41 PM »

Look, nobody knows what the political climate is going to look like in 2012. Remember that Clinton's and Reagan's ratings were awful throughout their first term (and especially at midterm), and they both won solid reelections. George H.W. Bush enjoyed 60+ approval ratings throughout nearly his ENTIRE TERM, but was undone in his final 6 months by a poor economy.

I don't know what I'm having for dinner tomorrow. But when you consider it takes a couple years for a campaign to get going, and what's happening now, it's no mystery what's coming up in 2012. The GOP is f'd. And we'll be seeing our first 400-vote victory of a re-election landslide since the 1980s.
You get real! Health Care, while it passed, is not going to do anything until after Obama's term in office. Also, people will now get to dig out all the pork that was put into the Bill, like airport subsidies for Stupak, that had nothing to do with Healthcare. We have an economy that is at best stagnant, and will remain so until confidence in the market returns, something that spending trillions of imaginary dollars does not do.

Now, even if he does by some miracle turn things around, he has alienated WAY too many people to get a major landslide. A slightly larger victory? Sure, why not. Is the GOP f'd though? No way. Obama ran on change back in 2008; nothing has changed so far, and likely will by 2012 (We may get out of Iraq, with Afghanistan only getting nastier, and Obama having to go back on his original plan; unless we move into Warzistan, that nation will never be secure).

Will the GOP win in landslide though? No, I must admit that Obama has a charisma that few people can dream of, and that will help him maintain the Democratic base. At most, it would be a comfortable, yet narrow, GOP victory.

I do not like Obama in the least. I DO NOT like what he is doing to this country. But he is my President, and I hope to god that he does not fail us. If that means the the GOP fails in 2012, so be it. I would rather the nation recover than remain weak so that a Republican wins the Presidency.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies