An anti-government activist on disability
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:53:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  An anti-government activist on disability
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: An anti-government activist on disability  (Read 1644 times)
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -9.91

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 30, 2010, 05:58:56 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.salon.com/news/opinion/joe_conason/2010/03/26/vanderboegh/index.html

I highlighted what I thought were the interesting bits.

What angers me, above all, is the disservice this fellow does in the name of libertarianism (as is typical of all follows of von Hayek and his fellow inferiors of the Austrian School). Rather than rise above the morass, this particular untermenschen is more than willing to sink into it, and, along the way, ally himself with Confederate revanchists, Christians, and other such numskull inferiors. His willingness to initiate force against his betters indicates to me that he is an anti-populist populist, and nothing more.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 10:39:18 AM »

A microcosm of the South and Plains states.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 10:53:47 AM »

Anyone who has ever attended a Tea Party event should not be eligible for social security, medicare, or unemployment benefits. They should also have to pay a reasonable fee to use public roads.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 03:08:28 PM »

Anyone who has ever attended a Tea Party event should not be eligible for social security, medicare, or unemployment benefits. They should also have to pay a reasonable fee to use public roads.

Yeah, 'cause we've heard so many tea party activists advocate for the complete abolition of the welfare state and public roads Roll Eyes
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 03:09:48 PM »

Yeah, 'cause we've heard so many tea party activists advocate for the complete abolition of the welfare state and public roads Roll Eyes

Why do you even defend them, Vepres? The Tea Partiers are scum, white trash, populistic, slave-moraled scum who, if their God did exist, would deem to sweep them away with fire. They are not our kind.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2010, 03:12:01 PM »

Why do you even defend them, Vepres? The Tea Partiers are scum, white trash, populistic, slave-moraled scum who, if their God did exist, would deem to sweep them away with fire. They are not our kind.

Yet a majority of Americans believe the average member of the Tea Party movement has a better understanding of the issues facing America today than the average member of Congress.   Fancy that.
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2010, 03:12:59 PM »

Yet a majority of Americans believe the average member of the Tea Party movement has a better understanding of the issues facing America today than the average member of Congress.   Fancy that.

A majority of Americans are also downright subhuman.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2010, 03:14:35 PM »
« Edited: March 30, 2010, 03:16:30 PM by brittain33 »

Yet a majority of Americans believe the average member of the Tea Party movement has a better understanding of the issues facing America today than the average member of Congress.   Fancy that.

They probably also believe the average married lesbian or illegal immigrant has a better understand of the issues facing America today than a Congressman, big whoops.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2010, 03:15:11 PM »

A majority of Americans are also downright subhuman.

To be fair to them, they were made so by their owners.
President Mitt
Giovanni
Samoa

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2010, 04:47:51 PM »

Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2010, 05:06:06 PM »

You know, you can disagree with people without totally dismissing them as irrelevant and unintelligent.

You can point out flaws of the positions of those you disagree with without being arrogant (though few on this forum seem to understand that concept).
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2010, 05:08:16 PM »

You know, you can disagree with people without totally dismissing them as irrelevant and unintelligent.

You can point out flaws of the positions of those you disagree with without being arrogant (though few on this forum seem to understand that concept).

To the contrary: the style is not only as important as the substance; the style is the substance. The old dictum that "the personal is the political" is resolved in me. It is impossible to understand my position without it.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2010, 05:10:10 PM »

Well, they are unintelligent, and scum and so forth, but they most certainly aren't irrelevant.  They're a major force in american politics.  But I think you need to remember, Vepres, that these people cannot be reasoned with any more than the Nazis could be.  To not see them for what they are is potentially dangerous.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2010, 05:13:56 PM »

Opebo and Einzige, I must point out that you are both committing the sweeping generalization fallacy far more than is possible reasonable.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2010, 05:16:25 PM »

Opebo and Einzige, I must point out that you are both committing the sweeping generalization fallacy far more than is possible reasonable.

Not that it matters - neither you nor we can stop them.
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2010, 05:16:44 PM »

All social interactions rely on sweeping generalizations. Every time I choose what I want to eat for the day, I begin by deciding what places I don't like to eat at, despite the fact I've not had everything on the menu. Your "tolerance" is liberal, though you yourself claim not to be. I will judge the cretins as they present themselves to be judged, and I find them wanting.
President Mitt
Giovanni
Samoa

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2010, 05:19:46 PM »

They're hypocrites, simply put. They demand the evil government get out of their lives on healthcare and taxes, yet open with welcome arms lobbying for Government bans on Homosexual Marriage, Abortion, and not to mention are estatic about sending troops to foreign battlefields. They are selfish, stupid, ignorant, and quite frankly below nearly everybody. They don't favor an end to the Welfare State (as you can see by my image posted above), they DO favor regulations against gays, abortion, drugs, and starting wars.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2010, 05:31:13 PM »

All social interactions rely on sweeping generalizations. Every time I choose what I want to eat for the day, I begin by deciding what places I don't like to eat at, despite the fact I've not had everything on the menu. Your "tolerance" is liberal, though you yourself claim not to be. I will judge the cretins as they present themselves to be judged, and I find them wanting.

Yes, but you're basing this on anecdotes and the behavior of a few loonies. While the tea party largely has no central leadership, public figures of the movement have never condoned these acts, and thus I give them the benefit of the doubt. Sure, some of the tea partiers are morons, but there are libertarians who are ignorant morons as well, same with liberals.

They're hypocrites, simply put. They demand the evil government get out of their lives on healthcare and taxes, yet open with welcome arms lobbying for Government bans on Homosexual Marriage, Abortion, and not to mention are estatic about sending troops to foreign battlefields. They are selfish, stupid, ignorant, and quite frankly below nearly everybody. They don't favor an end to the Welfare State (as you can see by my image posted above), they DO favor regulations against gays, abortion, drugs, and starting wars.

And you base this on?

Yes, you have anecdotal evidence to support you, but think of it this way, would the media cover a rally of reasonable people. For the most part, no. Thus, they only cover the tea party rallies with morons attending or where stupid comments were made.
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2010, 05:34:38 PM »

Yes, but you're basing this on anecdotes and the behavior of a few loonies. While the tea party largely has no central leadership, public figures of the movement have never condoned these acts, and thus I give them the benefit of the doubt. Sure, some of the tea partiers are morons, but there are libertarians who are ignorant morons as well, same with liberals.

A challenge, then: demonstrate to me one protester who is consistent in his views and arrives at them by way of either empirical reason or philosophical deduction, as opposed to heavy-handed emotionalism, and I may suspend judgment. But I have no reason whatsoever as present to regard them at any more than they actually are - unenlightened, uneducated, and inferior rubes who have all the annoying qualities I find so grating in masses of people.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2010, 05:36:15 PM »

People like this make me sick.  I should find out what county he lives in and report him to the social worker for fraud.  They should investigate his ass and cut him off.  In the letter, it should remind him that the free market is his for the taking and that the local McDonalds is looking for helpers.
What's worse... his wife.  What the hell is wrong with her?  She needs to dump his ass out on the street.
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2010, 05:39:15 PM »

Moreover, I find it highly unlikely that the so-called 'leadership' of the Tea Baggers is wholly innocent of the affairs of individual groupings. There is a concept called 'plausible deniability', and, I suspect, they take high advantage of it.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2010, 05:42:07 PM »

A challenge, then: demonstrate to me one protester who is consistent in his views and arrives at them by way of either empirical reason or philosophical deduction, as opposed to heavy-handed emotionalism, and I may suspend judgment. But I have no reason whatsoever as present to regard them at any more than they actually are - unenlightened, uneducated, and inferior rubes who have all the annoying qualities I find so grating in masses of people.

You take this to the extreme. Really, this is akin to saying that all libertarians are white-supremist anarcho-capitalists who buy into conspiracy theories.

I take issue with the degree you take these fallacies, not that you're using them.
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2010, 05:43:27 PM »

You take this to the extreme. Really, this is akin to saying that all libertarians are white-supremist anarcho-capitalists who buy into conspiracy theories.

I'm lambasting them for being libertarians; I'm lambasting them for being conservatives who adopt, where convenient, the language and phraseology of libertarianism and apply it to decidedly un-and-anti-libertarian ends. In this I have opposed, and will continue to oppose, them.
President Mitt
Giovanni
Samoa

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2010, 05:43:44 PM »

As a Libertarian (?), I can't see how you defend them.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2010, 05:48:26 PM »

Actually, it is worth noting that hypocrisy is no problem politically.   If there are enough of you - and there are most certainly enough hate filled white religious racists out there - you can most definitely have your cake and eat it too.  As a matter of fact they have had it so for a long time.

There is no requirement in politics that one be consistent or 'make sense', merely that one wins - gets power.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies