asians?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:31:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  asians?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: asians?  (Read 13551 times)
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 12, 2004, 12:06:10 AM »

is it true that bush did worse with asians than bob dole did?  if so, what are the resons for this?  are asians trending more democratic than they once were?

im not an asian, but i thought the clinton/gore handling of the los alamos case was wrong.  
classical liberal
RightWingNut

Political Matrix
E: 9.35, S: -8.26

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2004, 12:09:23 AM »

Asians are generally as far right as possible: socially and fiscally, myself included.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2004, 12:27:34 AM »
« Edited: March 12, 2004, 01:25:42 AM by angus »

western mode of thought superimposed on your logical answer, do you suppose confucius would be a republican?

okay, here are some links:
http://www.asianam.org/asian%20am%20in%20california.htm (misc cal stats)
http://www.asianweek.com/2001_05_18/bay1_judychuwins.html (cal stuff)
http://www.arthurhu.com/index/avote.htm (general and weird)
http://www.rnc.org/OutReach/Default.aspx (RNC propaganda)
http://www.democrats.org/links/ (DNC propaganda)
Brambila
Brambilla

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2004, 12:36:35 AM »

Asians generally don't involve themselves in politics, but when they do, it's usually democratic. Think about it- 40% of the Asian population live in California and New York City. Really, are you suprised they are liberal?

Vietnamese-Americans are usually very conservative.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2004, 12:48:45 AM »

Yeah, I remember seeing data for different Asian groups. Vietnamese are rightwing. It's kind of logical as so many of them got to the US as political refugees from South Vietnam. Kind of like a mellower version of Cubans. I think Filipinos were the most left wing.
But I don't know why Dole was so popular among Asians.
MN-Troy
Rookie

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2004, 01:22:29 AM »

In 2000, Al Gore won the Asian (and I use it liberally) vote mainly due to the Hawaii, but state side Bush ran even with Al Gore in California, which has a high percentage of Asians.

dunn

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2004, 03:39:42 AM »

that site have diffrent numbers

http://www.aamovement.net/viewpoints/election2ka.html
classical liberal
RightWingNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2004, 05:11:57 PM »

Hispanics as well.  The Asians and Latin Americans are in generally very conservative by US standards.  They only go to the Democrats because of the Democratic Party's success at seeming to be the pro-immigration party; understandible considering that most Asian-Americans and Hispanic-Americans are 1-4 generation or immigrants.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2004, 06:39:50 PM »

Hispanics as well.  The Asians and Latin Americans are in generally very conservative by US standards.  They only go to the Democrats because of the Democratic Party's success at seeming to be the pro-immigration party; understandible considering that most Asian-Americans and Hispanic-Americans are 1-4 generation or immigrants.

It's impossible that someone who is conservative by American standards wouldn't be in another country, since you're so far to the right. Wink

'There was this Asian gang, they looked Asian and they spoke this weird language, I think it might have been...ASIAN!' Smiley
zachman

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2004, 07:19:20 PM »

The Asian voters, although I don't think they can become politically united, are a good group to court for the democrats because they are arriving in every urban and suburban area. They strike me as pro-affirmitive action (although they do lose from it) and are likely to be pro gun control and more secular.
HoopsCubs
Rookie

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2004, 01:46:28 AM »

The Asian voters, although I don't think they can become politically united, are a good group to court for the democrats because they are arriving in every urban and suburban area. They strike me as pro-affirmitive action (although they do lose from it) and are likely to be pro gun control and more secular.

Correct!  Speaking as an Asian-American,  I have observed that Asians due to tend to flock towards metro areas like SF, Seattle, Chicago, Northeast cities - fairly Democratic areas.   Asians do like the Fiscal conservativism offered by the traditional Republican party (mainly because of lower taxes), but, in general, they do not like the gun control, abortion and faith-based views of the traditional Republican party.  And most view Republicans as non-friendly and non-tolerant towards Ethnic groups.  For Asians, Bill Clinton has been the greatest President because he balanced the budget and had great regard and respect for the contributions of Asians to America's economy, technology and culture.

nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2004, 09:17:44 PM »

I do find it interesting that Bob Dole won the Asian vote, but I am not shocked that Bush did worse than Dole among Asians. Asians tend to be urban/suburban and well-educated, and therefore would tend to not identify with a candidate like GWB.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2004, 09:25:26 PM »

umm.

im not asian, but i consider myself to be well educated...and i identify with bush.
zachman

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2004, 09:30:04 PM »

You are not part of the geographic anti-Bush belt, so the same rules don't apply.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2004, 09:30:31 PM »
« Edited: March 13, 2004, 09:32:57 PM by nclib »

umm.

im not asian, but i consider myself to be well educated...and i identify with bush.

I respect that. I'm just saying that on average well-educated people are less likely to identify with Bush, particularly if other variables are controlled for.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2004, 09:34:40 PM »
« Edited: March 13, 2004, 09:36:04 PM by nclib »

You are not part of the geographic anti-Bush belt, so the same rules don't apply.

I live in the Raleigh-Durham area (there are three major colleges in this region), and yes, the same rules do tend to apply here.

Where in N.C. do you live, WalterMitty?
classical liberal
RightWingNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2004, 09:55:58 PM »

Asians are generally not Christian, so the evangelicals tend to alienate Asian communities.  But Asians are conservative on most social issues: women's rights, gay marriage, affirmative action.  There are a few pro-AA asians but not many, even among the sections who do benefit.  In India, the right to property for women is being deliberated in the courts right now.  Though they are not Christian many are very religious: Hindu, Muslim, and Buddhist.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2004, 10:05:43 PM »

nclib:  i live near greensboro.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2004, 10:17:19 PM »
« Edited: March 13, 2004, 10:17:57 PM by NickG »

Asians are generally not Christian, so the evangelicals tend to alienate Asian communities.  But Asians are conservative on most social issues: women's rights, gay marriage, affirmative action.  There are a few pro-AA asians but not many, even among the sections who do benefit.  In India, the right to property for women is being deliberated in the courts right now.  Though they are not Christian many are very religious: Hindu, Muslim, and Buddhist.

Actually, I think a majority of Asians in the US are Christian, especially Koreans (assuming you are not counting Indians, Pakistanis, etc. among Asians).  One big difference is that Asian Christians tend to be in favor of religious tolerance and against state enforcement of religious values, because they are mindful of how the same efforts have been by Asian governments to suppress Christianity.
Brambila
Brambilla

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2004, 10:26:54 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Very true.

Woah woah woah slow down. What faith-based views of the republican party? The 'traditional' republican part is liberal! The republican part isn't faith-based. Secondly, most asians I know are against abortion, reason being that about a third of all American Asians are Christians, with Catholicism being the largest religion among Asian-Americans at 21%. Further, 10% of Asian-Americans are Buddhist, and Buddhism condemns abortion, and additional 6% are Muslim or Jewish. Only about 20% of asians have a religious excuse to support abortion.

Yes, we just hate people who look different. They should all die. Or wait, wasn't it democrat Ernest Hollings who made racist statements towards Jews? Dan Rather from CBS who made racist statements towards blacks? hmmm

First, the economy was already being balanced from Reagan's economic plan. Clinton simply took the credit for it. As a matter of fact, currently, we have the lowest unemployment rate since Reagan was in office. It est, there was a lot of unemployment in Clinton's office. Second, he refused to restrict trade with China and opened up new ways to trade with human-rights stealer, China. Third, he is not considered the greatest president. I believe he was number 19 on the top presidents, rated by professors on USA today. Reagan was seven I think.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2004, 12:19:54 AM »
« Edited: March 14, 2004, 12:22:41 AM by Beet »

Asians are generally not Christian, so the evangelicals tend to alienate Asian communities.  But Asians are conservative on most social issues: women's rights, gay marriage, affirmative action.

Actually, did you know that Taiwan recently followed Canada to legalize gay marriages?

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2004-02-04-taiwan-gay-marriage_x.htm

Taiwan also has a female vice President, and Indonesia (more muslims than any other country!) and the Philipinnes both have female Presidents, and Pakistan and India have had them in the past.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2004, 12:51:53 AM »

I don't know about Vietnamese Americans. Minnesota has a large Hmong population (the largest outside of Asia) and I believe the Hmong are from Vietnam, and they mostly vote Democratic. The State Senate Majority Whip is a Hmong-American. Most of the Hmong I know are VERY liberal, but I go to a very liberal university for the most part anyway.

Like Native Americans, Asians are a diverse bunch in voting. I heard that Japanese Americans trend Republican, due to the fact that they often are rather wealthy, while Chinese Americans trend Democratic.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2004, 01:33:09 AM »

The King of Cambodia backs gay marriage

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/3505915.stm
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2004, 05:20:40 AM »

I don't know about Vietnamese Americans. Minnesota has a large Hmong population (the largest outside of Asia) and I believe the Hmong are from Vietnam, and they mostly vote Democratic. The State Senate Majority Whip is a Hmong-American. Most of the Hmong I know are VERY liberal, but I go to a very liberal university for the most part anyway.

Like Native Americans, Asians are a diverse bunch in voting. I heard that Japanese Americans trend Republican, due to the fact that they often are rather wealthy, while Chinese Americans trend Democratic.

Hmong are from Laos. Up to the late 19th century most of them were Animists (as opposed to the Buddhist Lao). Then the French converted them to Christianity and favored them afterwards. As a result, they fought on the French and then the American side during SE Asia's 20th century struggles...And many of them have ended up in exile now.
CTguy

« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2004, 06:26:45 AM »

I agree with an earlier poster.  I think the main reason Asians tend to be democratic and are trending more so is because they are highly educated.  And it is the college educated ones that are more likely to vote.  People with advanced degrees tend to vote democratic.  I also don't think that Asians in the United States are as conservative as people are saying.  If you look at some recent polls on the gay marriage issue in California for instance, Asians were one of the few groups that a majority were pro-gay marriage.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies