asians?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 12:55:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  asians?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: asians?  (Read 13614 times)
Brambila
Brambilla

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2004, 12:14:40 PM »

CTguy,

Firstly, only 15% of Asians vote. So it's kind of silly to say that most Asians vote Democrat because the ones who did vote voted Democrat.

Though it's true that probably most graduate-educated people are liberal, that doesn't make liberals "better educated" than conservatives. Their intelligence balances out with all the less educated people- hispanics (70%) and blacks (85%) usually vote liberal, and they arn't very well educated people. That's 30% of the population right there, and about 1/3 of the democrat's population.

So no, liberals are not usually 'better educated'.
zachman

« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2004, 12:47:57 PM »

"Educated" refers to how much college education, and what colleges a person has attended. Is that really true that only 15% of Asians vote?
Huckleberry Finn
Finn

« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2004, 12:56:29 PM »

How do Arab Americans and other Muslims vote?

I have read somewhere in this forum that they favoured Bush in 2000 election and also Black Muslims did so, which sounds fairly strange.
zachman

« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2004, 12:58:18 PM »

The Nation of Islam. Malcolm X was part of it, and Michael Jackson is trying to join.

Muslims aren't over maybe 1% of the electorate outside of NJ, NY and Michigan.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2004, 01:00:45 PM »

How do Arab Americans and other Muslims vote?

I have read somewhere in this forum that they favoured Bush in 2000 election and also Black Muslims did so, which sounds fairly strange.

Yes, they went heavily for Bush in 2000.  But, most likely, that will be reversed in 2004.
Huckleberry Finn
Finn

« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2004, 01:09:11 PM »

The Nation of Islam. Malcolm X was part of it, and Michael Jackson is trying to join.

Nation of Islam, yes. But how do they vote? And what Michael Jackson is doing with it???

Why Muslims backed Bush?
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2004, 02:37:21 PM »

Nation of Islam, yes. But how do they vote? And what Michael Jackson is doing with it???

Why Muslims backed Bush?

Gore's running mate was of what race? *HINT, JEW, HINT, JEW* Sad

And also, they're probably pretty conservative.
zachman

« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2004, 03:20:13 PM »

Kerry is 1/4th Jewish.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2004, 03:24:24 PM »

As long as he doesn't tell the Arabs... Wink
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2004, 10:33:24 PM »

"Educated" refers to how much college education, and what colleges a person has attended. Is that really true that only 15% of Asians vote?
I'm not sure about 15%, that seems awfully low, but yeah, an overwhelming majority of Asians don't vote.
Remember, lots of them aren't even citizens.

And Kerry is 1/2 Jewish, but it doesn't matter as
a He's not Jewish by religion
b It's on the father's side, so it doesn't count
classical liberal
RightWingNut

Political Matrix
E: 9.35, S: -8.26

« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2004, 10:36:45 PM »

Jew is a religion not a race.  It involves believing something, not expressing any genes.
Brambila
Brambilla

« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2004, 12:24:51 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

"Educated" in my stance refers to a mixture of things. Did they graduate from High School? Did they go to junior college? 4-year college? Graduate? Law? Business? Medical, etc?

Yeah... I wasn't too suprised.

Muslims generally vote Republican (72% in 2000, 19% for Nader). Most American muslims actually supported the war on saddam, and are socially conservative (pro-life, pro-family, anti-homosexual rights, pro-faith in schools, etc.)  I wouldn't be suprised if Muslims still voted overwealmingly for Bush, and perhaps even more so because of his Marriage Defense Act proposal. In San Francisco (where I live), there was a huge muslim rally against the homosexual marriages going on, and they were attacking Gavin Newsom, a democrat.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2004, 12:28:43 AM »

Well, it seems pollsters have attempted to find Muslims who are still ready to vote for Bush, and have not been able to find any.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2004, 12:35:00 AM »

January poll shows low Bush approval rating, for example:
http://www.muslimwakeup.com/mainarchive/000551.php

Also foreign press heavily propagandize against reelection, for example:
http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp?page=story_14-3-2004_pg7_48
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2004, 12:42:36 AM »

And that's from the website of a pro-Bush Muslim organization...
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2004, 12:58:12 AM »

Yep.  and the other is from anti-bush press.  If I find better numbers I'll present them.  I read an editorial about Muslim and Arab rangers and Pioneers for the Bush reelection about a month ago.  New York times I think.  Here it is:
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=F70717FB3F590C748DDDAB0894DC404482
unfortunately, it's been archived.  
dunn

« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2004, 03:34:18 AM »

Jew is a religion not a race.  It involves believing something, not expressing any genes.

No, it is both
CTguy

« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2004, 05:33:57 AM »

CTguy,

Firstly, only 15% of Asians vote. So it's kind of silly to say that most Asians vote Democrat because the ones who did vote voted Democrat.

Though it's true that probably most graduate-educated people are liberal, that doesn't make liberals "better educated" than conservatives. Their intelligence balances out with all the less educated people- hispanics (70%) and blacks (85%) usually vote liberal, and they arn't very well educated people. That's 30% of the population right there, and about 1/3 of the democrat's population.

So no, liberals are not usually 'better educated'.

There is a difference between Liberal and Democrat.  The 70% of hispanics and 85% of blacks that are voting democratic are not doing so primarily because of social issues or because they are liberal.  They are doing so because democratic policies benefit them economically.  

If you control for this, most people who vote based on ideology that are educated are liberal while people with less education tend to be conservative.  It doesn't take a rocket-scientist to see that many of the precincts Gore won in 2000 were college towns or areas around cities where people hold advanced degrees.    Whereas most of the vast rural expanses that Bush won are culturally social areas where most people didn't go to college.
CTguy

« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2004, 05:36:53 AM »

By the way just on this topic.  I was wondering if anyone read a study I read way back when that said that one of the biggest predictors of how a state voted in 2000 was how many public and private universities are located in that state as a ratio of the population.  States with more universities as a proportion of the population (MA, NY, CT) tended to vote for Gore and those with the least tended to vote for Bush.  
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2004, 09:21:28 AM »

democrats are just so much smarter than me.  i just dont know where id be in life without them guiding me along.

seriously, the democrats need to give that intellectual elitism a rest.

with all of this talk of 'advanced degrees', someone please inform me how many advanced degrees gore (mr. intellectual) has?
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies