Atlasia Law Journal
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:11:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Atlasia Law Journal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Poll
Question: Do you belive that the Law Journal should continue
Yes

No

Don't care

Don't read it

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 8

Author Topic: Atlasia Law Journal  (Read 7767 times)
Junkie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -4.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: July 28, 2010, 09:20:59 PM »

Sam Spade v. Porce, 2006 Atl. S.C. 2nd 11
Written: Justice Emsworth
Joined Chief Justice TCash101, Justice Colin Wixted

Facts:

President appointed Atlasia World News (AWN) to the position of Game Moderator.  Sam Spade sues.

Holding:

Court notes that Article I, Section 8, Clause 2 makes only one reference to GM, but does not provide any information as to appointment, removal, or length of service.  Court thus rules, that while power of the Senate are limited, the powers of "the President are not limited by any particular enumeration."  Thus, the Court rules that the power to appoint belongs to the President.

Then, the Court decided not to use precedent of Fritz v. Ernst (requiring legislative powers to be enumerated) to hold that the GM is limited to only economic reporting.

Analysis:

Quite simply, a decision with wide reaching repercussions.  The Court ruled that there is no limit in the Constitution to the powers of the President.  That alone is quite amazing.  Couple that with the Court's decision in Boss Tweed v. Atlasia 2006 Atl. S.C. 2nd 1.  In that case, the Court ruled that all executive orders are subject to the legislative powers of the Senate.  As the President is not so limited, the President may issue executive orders in a wide range of areas.  Once an order is given, the Senate now has the powers to legislate in that area.  If a President and a Senate were to act in unison, it might be possible for the Senate to legislate in many areas proscribed under the Constitution so long as there is a preceding executive order.
Junkie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #76 on: October 26, 2010, 09:19:44 PM »

A Call for Civility

I have recently been appointed to the Mideast Assembly.  Therefore, I will be suspending legal analysis and concentrating on making a contribution within my region.  However, due to recent events, I feel the need to write this article.  The recent tone of several individuals in Atlasia has cause me concern.  Quite frankly, it is really taking away from the enjoyment of this game.

First, a little about me.  I am very new member.  I found this entire concept fascinating and really wanted to contribute.  Obviously, there is a lot of history between certain people and parties.  I get that, but the animosity is getting to be a little too much to take.

There clearly exists a divide between the parties.  It makes this game fun and realistic.  But I ask, how does throwing slanderous comments at each other help?  While it might make this very realistic, it also becomes tedious.  In the real world we have political parties that spend most of their time yelling at each other.  Why be in a game that is simply the same thing?  That would be like joining a game where my fiancée yells at me.  I already have that in real life, I don't need it in something that is supposed to be enjoyable.

I was not here when the three main parties were started.  It does sound like all three parties have people in their past that they are not proud of.

Here is my limited interaction with each party.  I first was told of this game by a member of the Pop.  That person told me it was fun, generally explained the game, and encouraged me to join.  I started as an independent just to get a lay of the land.  During that time I was sent messages by members of both the Pop and the DA just reminding me to vote and seeking support.  I voted the way I felt and was never pressured by any party.

I joined the DA just in time for it dissolve.  As it was doing so, I was sent messages by the JCP hoping to recruit me.  They were the only party to do so.  They were quite bland messages, offering a new party if I wanted one.  I stayed in contact with one member of the DA, who joined the RPP.  We had discussions about my moderate stances and whether I would fit into the RPP.  Eventually, I joined the RPP on my own free will.

During my short time with the RPP, I have received messages reminding me to vote (just like I got when in the DA or as an independent).  Not once was pressure ever applied.  In fact, the only time "pressure" of any sort was mentioned was by a member of the JCP, who asked me to vote outside the RPP party line. 

I have never had anything but positive personal contacts with each party.  I get that the situation in the Northeast is very bad and that at times debates can get heated.  However, could we please drop all the constant sniping.  It has gotten to the point where I did not even want to vote in the recent presidential election.  I could not even read a candidate's thread without having to go through countless tirades.

This is the way I see it, the Pop have plenty of good members, the RPP is not a party machine, and the JCP has plenty of open, receptive, members.

So can we please just let this nonsense go.  It really is taking away from the fun of the game.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #77 on: October 26, 2010, 11:09:33 PM »

I share your sentiments, Junkie.  The inter-personal battles here in Atlasia get tiresome, and I try to avoid them.  It is refreshing to read your well reasoned call for civility.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #78 on: October 27, 2010, 01:40:38 PM »

NOOOO!! NEVER!!! THE RPP ARE ALL VILE!!!! THE POPS ARE TO A MAN EVILLL!!!! TROLLS ARISE!! JIHAD!!!!!!!!!

<thorazine kicks in>

ahhhhh.....

A very sensible well-written piece, Junkie. Smiley
Junkie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #79 on: June 24, 2013, 12:46:02 PM »

For those that did not know me, my name is Junkie and this, the Atlasia Law Journal, was perhaps the only significant thing I did during my time here.  I left quite some time ago and just returned.

You may wonder why.  Before I left, there was some discussion of writing a history of the Atlasian Political system.  I did some research and had a brief outling for the beginning.  I just recently found my notes, have some free time for a brief period, and decided to get going in that direction.  So start looking forward to my history
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #80 on: June 24, 2013, 12:47:23 PM »

Don't worry. I'd never forget you. Nice to see you've made a return Cheesy
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #81 on: June 24, 2013, 12:47:55 PM »

Welcome back. I'll be interested to see what you write. Smiley
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #82 on: June 24, 2013, 12:53:52 PM »

Hey.  I don't know you very well, but I vaguely remember your term as Senator when I started out in this game.  Welcome back. Smiley
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #83 on: June 24, 2013, 12:56:26 PM »

That's great news, Junkie. Atlasia's history is what makes the game what it is, but even as an active participant I struggle to piece together the bits of information that I've accumulated on events predating my involvement in the game. Not many written narratives exist, so I'm excited to hear that you'll be releasing one soon.

Junkie was my successor in the Senate.

One day, I'll write a tell all book of my time in Atlasia. It would be a great addition to the archives. Tongue
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #84 on: June 24, 2013, 02:24:47 PM »

For those that did not know me, my name is Junkie and this, the Atlasia Law Journal, was perhaps the only significant thing I did during my time here.  I left quite some time ago and just returned.

You may wonder why.  Before I left, there was some discussion of writing a history of the Atlasian Political system.  I did some research and had a brief outling for the beginning.  I just recently found my notes, have some free time for a brief period, and decided to get going in that direction.  So start looking forward to my history

*hughughug* Grin Cheesy Grin
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #85 on: June 24, 2013, 02:32:45 PM »

I think it's fair to say you came back just on time for one of those history-making events. Tongue
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #86 on: June 24, 2013, 04:36:39 PM »

!!!!

Grin

Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #87 on: June 24, 2013, 06:36:53 PM »

Glad to see you back Junkie. Smiley
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #88 on: July 11, 2013, 07:21:13 PM »

What are the legal ramifications of the Supreme Court's decisions in the cases filed by DemPGH and Napoleon to permit lawsuits to be filed against entities that do not legally exist?
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #89 on: July 11, 2013, 07:23:30 PM »

Can we sticky this for convenience?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies