How do we distribute the States?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 12:27:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  How do we distribute the States?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How do we distribute the States?  (Read 4002 times)
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 12, 2004, 11:43:39 AM »

I personally have voted for real electoral votes.
dunn

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2004, 11:45:28 AM »

3rd

that b/c no option for progressiv ev like our offer
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2004, 05:16:10 PM »

10 states. If we do it with real evs, it will change over time, and if we do it with current registered members, thats likely to change as more members come to the game and old ones leave.

perhaps we create 10-state maps with (very) roughly equal registered members?

Either way, once we have our regions they can't change; jut like states in the US don't change. You can't be a senator for region one, from Montana, and then have your state moved to midwest because of population, for example. Once we do have a plan, it has to stay.

BTW, I already have a 5 region map thread. In 2 days time submissions will close and I will create a poll of the top 10 or so. The three with the most votes on the poll will then by subject to a public vote of registered voters.
Emsworth
Lord Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2004, 07:04:26 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
It won't change for about six more years.
Demrepdan

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2004, 07:13:06 PM »

If we distribute the states to their regions by Forum Voters......then we would have to hold a census every so often.......and then go through the difficult process of redistribution of the regions...which would require 2/3 vote from the Senate...as well as the Governor's approvals....

Grouping states by their real life electoral vote is just a plain stupid idea...... and if we make our OWN electoral votes......that would require a CENSUS......read above to understand why a census may not be all too good of an idea.....

I think we should just simply have 10 states per region......if one region is bigger in voters than the other.....then OH WELL.....that's how it is in real life.....Wyoming is a small state...and that's just their misfortune......if we have a small region...then that's just their misfortune. This would be keeping the states analogous to the Regions...
Emsworth
Lord Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2004, 07:15:02 PM »
« Edited: March 12, 2004, 07:15:19 PM by Emsworth »

Could you care to explain why? You seem to denounce most plans contrary to your opinions as "stupid."
Demrepdan

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2004, 07:20:19 PM »

Could you care to explain why? You seem to denounce most plans contrary to your opinions as "stupid."

Real life electoral votes do not effect the Fantasy Election voters or Forum Population in ANYWAY whatsoever......California may have 55 EC in real life....but they have but 3 to 4 members here at the forum.... It's good to keep certain analogies sometimes....but to cross over between real life EC to reflect the FORUM population...is just ridiculous......and the reason I deemed it as being STUPID without giving an explanation as to WHY....is because I thought most people would see the faults in using REAL LIFE Electoral Votes to determine regions...which would undoubtedly misrepresent the people at the forum.....
Emsworth
Lord Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2004, 07:32:12 PM »
« Edited: March 12, 2004, 07:33:39 PM by Emsworth »

Real life electoral votes do not effect the Fantasy Election voters or Forum Population in ANYWAY whatsoever......California may have 55 EC in real life....but they have but 3 to 4 members here at the forum.... It's good to keep certain analogies sometimes....but to cross over between real life EC to reflect the FORUM population...is just ridiculous......and the reason I deemed it as being STUPID without giving an explanation as to WHY....is because I thought most people would see the faults in using REAL LIFE Electoral Votes to determine regions...which would undoubtedly misrepresent the people at the forum.....
On the one hand, it is argued that real-life votes would misrepresent the forum, and on the other, it is suggested that a ten-state per region system (which would equally fail in representing the voters) is preferred.
Demrepdan

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2004, 07:37:19 PM »
« Edited: March 12, 2004, 07:37:53 PM by Demrepdan »

On the one hand, it is argued that real-life votes would misrepresent the forum, and on the other, it is suggested that a ten-state per region system (which would equally fail in representing the voters) is preferred.

And therin lies the paradox it seems....

This does seem a bit complicated....but on the one hand...you can misrepresent the people of the forum by the way of the real U.S. government (the way the real EC are set up).....or we can misrepresent the people of the forum in our OWN way...without having to listen to the U.S. government......so I dunno which way to go... Huh
dunn

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2004, 02:02:54 AM »

that's was in the progressive orignal draft. I am glad that it is moving toward some logic
now just cancell thr govrnors and we really have it alike
Smiley
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2004, 02:16:37 AM »

Ten states each but fairly equal in forum population? Show me a map that accomplishes that and I'll show you the oddest gerrymander you've ever seen.
And the poll does not even include the best option - roughly equal in number of Atlas residents. I don't think that'll change quite as quickly as voter registration.
dunn

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2004, 02:23:46 AM »

Ten states each but fairly equal in forum population? Show me a map that accomplishes that and I'll show you the oddest gerrymander you've ever seen.
And the poll does not even include the best option - roughly equal in number of Atlas residents. I don't think that'll change quite as quickly as voter registration.

true
 that's why we should consuder our initial offer
Demrepdan

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2004, 03:18:47 AM »

The distribution of the regions will be the number one disputed factor in finishing the Constitution...I assure you...
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2004, 08:46:31 AM »

By number of voters
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2004, 08:49:39 AM »

In that case, Miami, go to the maps thread and vote for Plan Lewis-A.
Emsworth
Lord Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2004, 09:39:11 AM »

There are three positions to be filled in each region. I think that it would be best to have at least six or seven registered voters in each region.
Demrepdan

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2004, 01:43:33 PM »

There are three positions to be filled in each region. I think that it would be best to have at least six or seven registered voters in each region.

I agree with that.....
Demrepdan

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2004, 01:44:44 PM »

Should we hold a census soon.....to determine the regions?

If so let me know and I'll set one up......after all.....I am the Secretary of Forum Affairs you know.... Wink
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2004, 05:48:27 AM »

I've pretty much done it for you already...
Just certify my results...
Emsworth
Lord Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2004, 08:07:15 AM »

I've pretty much done it for you already...
Just certify my results...
We've had only two changes since then, as far as I know. Firstly, Siege40 registered in South Carolina. Secondly. the Secretary moved from Illinois to Vermont.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2004, 01:01:05 AM »

I vote for real electoral votes.
Demrepdan

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2004, 01:04:04 AM »

I vote for real electoral votes.

What about Supersoulty's plan? Undecided
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2004, 06:00:03 AM »

You can't have two levels of senators, one firm in their electorate, one with a shaky foothold.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies