Romneycare becomes issue in CA-11 GOP primary
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:59:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Romneycare becomes issue in CA-11 GOP primary
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Romneycare becomes issue in CA-11 GOP primary  (Read 539 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 09, 2010, 02:03:53 AM »

http://www.halfwaytoconcord.com/romneycare-controversey-heats-up-ca-11-gop-primary/

You must be logged in to read this quote.

This is just one case, but if it starts happening in other races, it'll be very bad news for the Mitt-ster.  If we're getting to the point where the individual mandate is so unpopular in the GOP that Romney's endorsement becomes a liability, then.....well, not so good for him.

Of course, it depends in large part on whether this attack actually works.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 01:20:59 PM »

Even if the attack fails there, it might yet succeed elsewhere. CA-11 is by no means a far-right district, even though the Republican primary electorate will obviously be much further to the right than the district's electorate as a whole.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 01:27:23 PM »

Oh boy. The district right over from mine. I'm curious at how Harmer is running here, considering that he was the candidate against Garamendi (My district) in last year's special election.
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 03:08:31 PM »

I hope neither Amador or Harmer win, we need Emken in congress.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2010, 03:18:13 PM »

Oh boy. The district right over from mine. I'm curious at how Harmer is running here, considering that he was the candidate against Garamendi (My district) in last year's special election.

In CA, you don't have to live in the district to run in it (ex. Tom McClintock in CA-04). The same way it is in NY (Tedesco in NY-20 and Hoffman in NY-23)
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2010, 03:19:15 PM »

In CA, you don't have to live in the district to run in it (ex. Tom McClintock in CA-04). The same way it is in NY (Tedesco in NY-20 and Hoffman in NY-23)

Yeah, I know. I just find it odd that he would do it so soon after seeking election in the district over.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2010, 03:28:25 PM »
« Edited: April 09, 2010, 03:37:19 PM by Joementum »

Aren't there a fair amount of Mormons in that district?  Either way, attacking Romney seems to be a losing (or ineffective) strategy for a congressional primary at this stage.  I don't think midterm primaries will have any real effect on presidential primary voters which will be a much wider pool who follows these things less closely.  Probably, Romney will lead all primary polls for the next year and a half (or be tied with Huckabee if he ends up running).  Late next year, rivals and media may amp up their rips on RomneyCare in ways that create more serious problems for him.  I'm still skeptical it'll be enough to derail him but if so, that's probably when we'd see it have some effect.

EDIT: On the other hand, I wonder if the electoral politics that will flood the hearings for a new Supreme Court nominee will water the seeds for mandate resentment among cable news audiences.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies