Romney edges Paul by 1 vote in Southern Republican Leadership Conf. straw poll
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:13:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Romney edges Paul by 1 vote in Southern Republican Leadership Conf. straw poll
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Romney edges Paul by 1 vote in Southern Republican Leadership Conf. straw poll  (Read 8152 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 08, 2010, 07:59:40 PM »
« edited: April 11, 2010, 05:32:40 AM by Mr. Morden »

Just a heads up.  The Southern Republican Leadership Conference meeting is on now in New Orleans, running through Saturday, with speakers to include Haley Barbour, Newt Gingrich, Bobby Jindal, Gary Johnson, Sarah Palin, Ron Paul, Mike Pence, Rick Perry, and Rick Santorum.  Pawlenty had been slated to appear, but backed out to attend an event in Minnesota, though I hear he may still address the conference via video.

The conference will feature a 2012 presidential straw poll, with results released on Saturday night:

http://www.srlc2010.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/Program_srlc2010.pdf

EDIT: Here are the results:

http://www.gop12.com/2010/04/romney-nips-paul-in-straw-poll.html

1. Mitt Romney 24% (439 votes)

2. Ron Paul 24% (438 votes)

3. Sarah Palin 18%

3. Newt Gingrich 18%

5. Mike Huckabee 4%

6. Tim Pawlenty 3%

6. Mike Pence 3%

8. Rick Santorum 2%

9. Gary Johnson 1%
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 09:22:13 PM »

Huckabee's not invited or declined?  If it's the latter, that's a bit telling of his intentions.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 09:24:17 PM »

I knew a few places are recruiting delegates for this to show support for Ron Paul. Hopefully Dr. Paul will be able to pull it off, continuing the stream of momentum from his CPAC win.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 10:51:15 PM »

Huckabee's not invited or declined?  If it's the latter, that's a bit telling of his intentions.

I don't know that there were necessarily formal invitations.  I think pretty much anyone of sufficient prominence in the GOP was free to talk at this, so Huck could have attended if he wanted to.

He declined speaking at both this and CPAC.  He really isn't doing much of anything anymore that would hint towards a 2012 run.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2010, 08:21:59 PM »

Here are the names that are being included in the poll:

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2010/04/09/2263541.aspx

Newt Gingrich
Mike Huckabee
Gary Johnson
Sarah Palin
Ron Paul
Tim Pawlenty
Mike Pence
Mitt Romney
Rick Santorum

Weird that Barbour isn't being included, even though he's speaking at the conference.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2010, 08:47:53 PM »

Here are the names that are being included in the poll:

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2010/04/09/2263541.aspx

Newt Gingrich
Mike Huckabee
Gary Johnson
Sarah Palin
Ron Paul
Tim Pawlenty
Mike Pence
Mitt Romney
Rick Santorum

Weird that Barbour isn't being included, even though he's speaking at the conference.

Same deal with Rick Perry.  My prediction: Huckabee wins.
Sasquatch

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -8.52

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2010, 08:58:34 PM »

Ron Paul for the win!
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2010, 09:02:34 PM »

I think Paul or Palin will end up winning this. Romney will underperform since he oddly didn't make an appearence.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2010, 09:06:46 PM »

I think Paul or Palin will end up winning this. Romney will underperform since he oddly didn't make an appearence.

That's like saying McCain oddly didn't contest Iowa in 2008 or Obama Michigan.  It was intentional for Romney not to make a serious play at it so as to not inflate its importance. 
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2010, 09:07:44 PM »

If Romney doesn't do well...doesn't mean he has to win the nomination is going to be an extremely tough road if he can't get his paid delegates to get him a decent margin.

Go Gingrich

I've heard Huckabee IS actually speaking now...so I'm guessing he'll be in the top 2-3
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2010, 09:18:35 PM »

If Romney doesn't do well...doesn't mean he has to win the nomination is going to be an extremely tough road if he can't get his paid delegates to get him a decent margin.

Go Gingrich

I've heard Huckabee IS actually speaking now...so I'm guessing he'll be in the top 2-3

Romney's path to victory doesn't really lie through much of the South.  He's a Mormon Yankee! 
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2010, 05:22:12 PM »

According to what I read on Twitter, results of this should be out at 6pm local time in New Orleans, which would be 7pm Eastern.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2010, 05:24:46 PM »

According to what I read on Twitter, results of this should be out at 6pm local time in New Orleans, which would be 7pm Eastern.

ive heard 5:30...which is very soon
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2010, 05:54:47 PM »

439-438 romney over paul
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2010, 06:01:27 PM »

RESULTS: If the primary election for president were held today, for whom would you vote? Please check the box by the candidate of your choice.

Newt Gingrich    18%
Mike Huckabee  4%
Gary Johnson    1%
Sarah Palin       18%
Ron Paul           24% (438 votes)
Tim Pawlenty   3%
Mike Pence      3%
Mitt Romney    24% (439 votes)
Rick Santorum    2%

2. Who would be your second choice in the Republican Primary Election for president?

Newt Gingrich    19%
Mike Huckabee  10%
Gary Johnson    6%
Sarah Palin  18%
Ron Paul 5%
Tim Pawlenty  6%
Mike Pence    8%
Mitt Romney    13%
Rick Santorum   7%

A detailed analysis of the straw poll results will be available on Wilson Research Strategies blog in short order.  http://www.w-r-s.com/blog/
TheGreatOne

« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2010, 06:18:08 PM »

Ron Paul people are stuffing the ballots again.  For those of you that have never been to a Republican Convention, I can tell you that the same people who go to CPAC for Ron Paul are the same people who go to SRLC.   They are also the same 2,000 supporters that are on Ron Paul's 'President for 2012' webpage on Facebook.  I've been introduced to all of them.  This will be come obvious to all when Ron Paul garners only 5% of the vote in each state during the Republican primary.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2010, 06:18:55 PM »

Mitt Romney won by 1 vote?  That's actually a massive victory, as far as useless straw polls go.

If he won by 20 votes, it'd be far worse of a victory.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2010, 06:19:45 PM »

Ron Paul people are stuffing the ballots again.  For those of you that have never been to a Republican Convention, I can tell you that the same people who go to CPAC for Ron Paul are the same people who go to SRLC.   They are also the same 2,000 supporters that are on Ron Paul's 'President for 2012' webpage on Facebook.  I've been introduced to all of them.  This will be come obvious to all when Ron Paul garners only 5% of the vote in each state during the Republican primary.

Stop trolling just because you hate freedom.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2010, 06:21:33 PM »

Oh, again....
Sewer
SpaceCommunistMutant
Junior Chimp
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2010, 06:34:35 PM »

lol
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2010, 06:35:09 PM »

lol

Oh, you're a Romney fan now?
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2010, 06:35:32 PM »

You think Ron Paul has an actual chance of winning the GOP nomination?
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2010, 06:37:03 PM »

Is this some elitist inside the beltway group or was it an event the average grassroots conservatives who will decide the 2012 caucuses could have influenced?
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2010, 06:41:57 PM »

If Rand can win in a state like Kentucky, then Ron certainly has a shot nationwide.
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2010, 06:43:44 PM »

If Rand can win in a state like Kentucky, then Ron certainly has a shot nationwide.

ROFL
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies