Romney edges Paul by 1 vote in Southern Republican Leadership Conf. straw poll
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 05:11:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Romney edges Paul by 1 vote in Southern Republican Leadership Conf. straw poll
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: Romney edges Paul by 1 vote in Southern Republican Leadership Conf. straw poll  (Read 8148 times)
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: April 11, 2010, 01:59:56 PM »

That was Sen. William E.  Borah he quoted, I believe, a great Republican of true principles.

Borah, while a great man on domestic issues, was a damn blind fool internationally.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #51 on: April 11, 2010, 02:02:23 PM »

That was Sen. William E.  Borah he quoted, I believe, a great Republican of true principles.

Borah, while a great man on domestic issues, was a damn blind fool internationally.

No, in fact his greatness came from his commitment to a sane foreign policy.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #52 on: April 11, 2010, 02:04:35 PM »

No, in fact his greatness came from his commitment to a sane foreign policy helping keep fascist dictators in power.

Because we know that's what you really mean.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #53 on: April 11, 2010, 02:05:19 PM »

No, in fact his greatness came from his commitment to a sane foreign policy helping keep fascist dictators in power.

Please don't misrepresent my positions.

Thanks.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #54 on: April 11, 2010, 02:05:56 PM »

Please don't misrepresent my positions.

Thanks.

I'm just amplifying and clarifying.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #55 on: April 11, 2010, 02:22:00 PM »

No, in fact his greatness came from his commitment to a sane foreign policy.

*banging head off wall*
President Mitt
Giovanni
Samoa

« Reply #56 on: April 11, 2010, 02:41:04 PM »

Ron Paul would be a small step in the right direction, but he would hardly be the truly ideal Libertarian candidate in 2012, or in 2008 for that matter.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #57 on: April 11, 2010, 02:52:12 PM »

Ron Paul would be a small step in the right direction, but he would hardly be the truly ideal Libertarian candidate in 2012, or in 2008 for that matter.

Why not? Dr. Paul has a nearly-perfect libertarian record, and the few issues he's been wrong on in the past he has since corrected.
Reluctant Republican

« Reply #58 on: April 11, 2010, 03:19:45 PM »

I think this pretty much confirms that Paul is looking at another run. I'm not convinced he will if his son loses, but if Rand Paul wins, I think we'll see Ron throw his hat in the ring once again.

Of course, the big question  is how will he do? I'm not one of those Ron Paul supporters who think he'll get the nomination. I don't rate it as impossible, but I think it's a long shot that would require a perfect storm of events and a weak field . But I do think if he ran there's no question he'd do better than in 2008. For one thing, Paul will be able to raise massive funds from the start of his campaign. In 2008, it wasn't until around the second debate and Giuliani's criticism of him that Paul began to stand out. If he ran again he'd be viable financially from the start, and if he got a better ad team he might even be able to compete in some states.

Paul's biggest problem is his views are still a minority in the GOP.  I think he's gained ground since 2008, but even looking at this straw poll, he came in last when it came to second choice votes. To be frank, the only people who really like Ron Paul in the Republican party are Ron Paul supporters. I think there's more of them then there were in 2008, but we're not close to being  a plurality yet.

But even though he knows he can't win, I think Ron will run again. Gary Johnson flopped epically yesterday, and not even many of the Paul supporters went to see him speak or supported him as their second choice behind their man.  I maintain that he's looking like a nonstarter. So Paul wants to get his message out, and he's likely to run one last time in an effort to do just that. My optimistic prediction is with a well run campaign he could draw around 20% in the primaries, and win some delegates. But I don't see him doing much better than that, since people backing most of the other candidates are not inclined to support him.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #59 on: April 11, 2010, 03:37:39 PM »

A Romey/Paul or a Paul/Romney Republican ticket in 2012, methinks.
Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey
hantheguitarman

« Reply #60 on: April 11, 2010, 03:43:09 PM »

You do realize that Ron Paul would be 77 if he were elected in 2012, right? That's freaking old. That's how old Reagan was when he left office in 1989. I honestly don't think Ron Paul will run, and if any Paul were to run, it'd probably be the younger Rand, but even that's unlikely. Most likely both Pauls endorse Gary Johnson, and Johnson is the Republican the Ron Paul movement will flock to.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #61 on: April 11, 2010, 04:12:38 PM »

You do realize that Ron Paul would be 77 if he were elected in 2012, right? That's freaking old. That's how old Reagan was when he left office in 1989. I honestly don't think Ron Paul will run, and if any Paul were to run, it'd probably be the younger Rand, but even that's unlikely. Most likely both Pauls endorse Gary Johnson, and Johnson is the Republican the Ron Paul movement will flock to.

As Reluctant Republican just said, Ron Paul would be a much stronger candidate than Gary Johnson would in 2012.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #62 on: April 11, 2010, 04:13:55 PM »

Ron Paul, Rand Paul, Gary Johnson.  None of them have any chance at the nomination.  This is the opinion of a Democrat who doesn't give a crap who the Republican nominee is.  It'll most likely be Romney.  There is a reasonable chance it'll be an upset by some other hawk like Thune, Daniels, Pawlenty, Huckabee, Palin, Pence.  There is approximately zero chance it'll be Paul or the Paul candidate, or for that matter, any name I didn't mention.
xavier110
United States
« Reply #63 on: April 11, 2010, 04:47:30 PM »

You do realize that Ron Paul would be 77 if he were elected in 2012, right? That's freaking old.

He's in his mid-seventies now? He honestly doesn't look it.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #64 on: April 11, 2010, 04:50:36 PM »

Ron Paul, Rand Paul, Gary Johnson.  None of them have any chance at the nomination.  This is the opinion of a Democrat who doesn't give a crap who the Republican nominee is.  It'll most likely be Romney.  There is a reasonable chance it'll be an upset by some other hawk like Thune, Daniels, Pawlenty, Huckabee, Palin, Pence.  There is approximately zero chance it'll be Paul or the Paul candidate, or for that matter, any name I didn't mention.

If you don't give a crap, then why do you people constantly argue about this? Why even post anything related to Paul?
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #65 on: April 11, 2010, 04:54:48 PM »

If you don't give a crap, then why do you people constantly argue about this? Why even post anything related to Paul?
I need attention.
Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey
hantheguitarman

« Reply #66 on: April 11, 2010, 05:35:21 PM »

As Reluctant Republican just said, Ron Paul would be a much stronger candidate than Gary Johnson would in 2012.

That doesn't change the fact that he'd be 77, and I don't think Dr. Paul would want to subject himself to the rigorous stress of the campaign trail again, especially because he's unlikely to win. And Gary Johnson did badly in the straw poll because Ron Paul was in the straw poll with him, and Paul and Johnson have similar ideologies. With Ron Paul and Rand Paul's endorsement, Johnson would do better than he did in the Southern Republican Leadership Conference Straw Poll, though he probably wouldn't win the nomination.
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: -4.35

« Reply #67 on: April 11, 2010, 06:51:55 PM »

Gary Johnson flopped epically yesterday, and not even many of the Paul supporters went to see him speak or supported him as their second choice behind their man. 

What happened?  Link?
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #68 on: April 11, 2010, 06:57:03 PM »

Gary Johnson flopped epically yesterday, and not even many of the Paul supporters went to see him speak or supported him as their second choice behind their man. 

What happened?  Link?

Perhaps he is referring to Johnson's poor performance in the straw poll?

Johnson just doesn't have the same ability to attract and motivate a grassroots movement as Paul does.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #69 on: April 11, 2010, 07:03:27 PM »

Johnson just doesn't have the same ability to attract and motivate a grassroots movement as Paul does.

Paul would have gotten 1% in a poll like this three years ago.  It's only because of Paul's performance in the 2008 primary debates that he was able to get any media attention and attract his current following.  Likewise, Johnson's ability to do same will hinge on the 2012 primary debates.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #70 on: April 11, 2010, 07:05:28 PM »

Paul would have gotten 1% in a poll like this three years ago.  It's only because of Paul's performance in the 2008 primary debates that he was able to get any media attention and attract his current following.  Likewise, Johnson's ability to do same will hinge on the 2012 primary debates.

Yeah but I am talking about the individuals themselves. Johnson doesn't have the personality or the history to endear himself to so many young people the way Ron Paul did.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #71 on: April 11, 2010, 07:07:31 PM »

I'm sorry, but these straw polls are meaningless. Paul has a dedicated fanbase that is a very very small portion of the Republican electorate as a whole, and that I give him credit for, and he certainly made the Republican debates a touch more sane, but anyone who thinks Paul has any shot at the nomination, or even the ability to make a serious dent in the delegate count, is delusional. He barely registers on any actual polling. All straw polls do is register the ability to move your cult-like base around or buy people off in the room.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #72 on: April 11, 2010, 07:44:44 PM »

Why not? Dr. Paul has a nearly-perfect libertarian record, and the few issues he's been wrong on in the past he has since corrected.

has he changed his xenophobic stance on immigration since 2008?
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #73 on: April 11, 2010, 07:51:08 PM »

Like Ron Paul could be popular among the quasi-conservatives who make up a majority of the Southern electorate.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #74 on: April 11, 2010, 07:53:46 PM »

has he changed his xenophobic stance on immigration since 2008?

Paul doesn't have a xenophobic stance on immigration.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies