Romney edges Paul by 1 vote in Southern Republican Leadership Conf. straw poll
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:17:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Romney edges Paul by 1 vote in Southern Republican Leadership Conf. straw poll
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: Romney edges Paul by 1 vote in Southern Republican Leadership Conf. straw poll  (Read 8151 times)
Reluctant Republican

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: April 11, 2010, 08:09:18 PM »
« edited: April 11, 2010, 08:11:11 PM by Reluctant Republican »

Gary Johnson flopped epically yesterday, and not even many of the Paul supporters went to see him speak or supported him as their second choice behind their man.  

What happened?  Link?

Well, I was referring to the straw poll results
http://www.gop12.com/2010/04/romney-nips-paul-in-straw-poll.html

Johnson gets 1% of the actual vote. You can argue most people open to his ideology would support Ron Paul, and this is true.  But look at the second choice votes. Johnson only gets 6%. Assuming all his support came from people who voted Ron Paul, that's still only 1 in 4 of Paul's voters. I'd be interested in seeing who the rest of his supporters voted for. Maybe they just checked Paul as both their first and second choices, who knows. I'm not sure if they could.

Just speaking for myself, my distant second choice would have been Romney. But I may be an poor sample.
TheGreatOne

« Reply #76 on: April 11, 2010, 09:06:29 PM »

Johnson just doesn't have the same ability to attract and motivate a grassroots movement as Paul does.

Paul would have gotten 1% in a poll like this three years ago.  It's only because of Paul's performance in the 2008 primary debates that he was able to get any media attention and attract his current following.  Likewise, Johnson's ability to do same will hinge on the 2012 primary debates.

No, I posted about this on an earlier page, but I haven't been paying much attention to this thread.  Ron Paul is winning strawpolls, because his supporters are more enthusiastic about driving to conventions than regular Republicans and they stuff the ballots.  You'll find that the same Ron paul supporters who went to CPAC also went to SRLC and are all the members on the Ron Paul for 2012 Facebook page.  Trust me.  I created that facebook page back in 2008 and met almost all the members at CPAC that same year and 2009.       
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #77 on: April 11, 2010, 09:09:24 PM »

Johnson just doesn't have the same ability to attract and motivate a grassroots movement as Paul does.

Paul would have gotten 1% in a poll like this three years ago.  It's only because of Paul's performance in the 2008 primary debates that he was able to get any media attention and attract his current following.  Likewise, Johnson's ability to do same will hinge on the 2012 primary debates.

No, I posted about this on an earlier page, but I haven't been paying much attention to this thread.  Ron Paul is winning strawpolls, because his supporters are more enthusiastic about driving to conventions than regular Republicans and they stuff the ballots.  You'll find that the same Ron paul supporters who went to CPAC also went to SRLC and are all the members on the Ron Paul for 2012 Facebook page.  Trust me.  I created that facebook page back in 2008 and met almost all the members at CPAC that same year and 2009.       

Yes, you posted this BS elsewhere and it was already addressed. Mitt Romney paid to have hundreds of people bused in for free in exchange for pledging their votes to him. Don't give me this total bullsh**t about how Ron Paul supporters "stuff the ballots." Roll Eyes
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #78 on: April 11, 2010, 09:20:16 PM »

Yes, you posted this BS elsewhere and it was already addressed. Mitt Romney paid to have hundreds of people bused in for free in exchange for pledging their votes to him. Don't give me this total bullsh**t about how Ron Paul supporters "stuff the ballots." Roll Eyes

Evangelicals for Mitt is an independent organization, so Romney himself didn't pay for them to go.
President Mitt
Giovanni
Samoa

« Reply #79 on: April 11, 2010, 09:20:37 PM »

Jesus Mary, you have got to be one of the most arrogant pricks on this Forum. Ron Paul's supporters do not stuff the ballots, they used the same tactics as those used by your hero, Willard Romney. Romney Big Wigs paid money to bus in people, who may not even support Romney, to come vote for him in a meaningless straw poll. Paul is not cheating the system. Don't feel jealous merely because your hero, Saint Willard doesn't have as loyal a fan base as Paul. Roll Eyes
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #80 on: April 11, 2010, 09:25:27 PM »

Ron Paul people are stuffing the ballots again.  For those of you that have never been to a Republican Convention, I can tell you that the same people who go to CPAC for Ron Paul are the same people who go to SRLC.   They are also the same 2,000 supporters that are on Ron Paul's 'President for 2012' webpage on Facebook.  I've been introduced to all of them.  This will be come obvious to all when Ron Paul garners only 5% of the vote in each state during the Republican primary.

Stop trolling just because you hate freedom.
You think Ron Paul has an actual chance of winning the GOP nomination?

If Rand can win in a state like Kentucky, then Ron certainly has a shot nationwide.

Name me one major issue on which Rand is not a generic conservative Republican now?

There's no such thing as a "generic conservative Republican".  Rand Paul is his own man, unlike his establishment puppet opponent Trey Grayson.

So what if Grayson has establishment support. He is still just as conservative and in fact more conservative on some minor non-important issues. A generic Conservative Republican is a social, fiscal, and foriegn policy conservative in the mode of Ronald Reagan or at least the common perception of Reagan among conservatives. I am still waiting to here how on a big issue he is not one of them. The fact is Grayson, a conservative rising star, has been destroyed because of misdirected anger, and Tea Party talking points. Paul has thrown out every Libertarian postion he had to be competative in Kentucky and then let the general mood and the narrative he succeeded in establishing, do the rest.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #81 on: April 11, 2010, 09:29:00 PM »

I am not disputing that.  I'm talking about the question of why Ron Paul has those supporters in the first place.  Why does Paul have supporters who want to drive around to conventions and vote for him in straw polls, whereas fellow libertarian-leaning GOP candidate Gary Johnson does not?  It's because Gary Johnson is completely unknown, and Ron Paul isn't.  Why is that?  Because Paul made a name for himself based on his GOP primary debate performances in 2007.  Johnson will potentially have the chance to do that as well next year if he runs.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #82 on: April 11, 2010, 09:34:29 PM »

Ron Paul people are stuffing the ballots again.  For those of you that have never been to a Republican Convention, I can tell you that the same people who go to CPAC for Ron Paul are the same people who go to SRLC.   They are also the same 2,000 supporters that are on Ron Paul's 'President for 2012' webpage on Facebook.  I've been introduced to all of them.  This will be come obvious to all when Ron Paul garners only 5% of the vote in each state during the Republican primary.

If Rand can win in a state like Kentucky, then Ron certainly has a shot nationwide.

Name me one major issue on which Rand is not a generic conservative Republican now?

There's no such thing as a "generic conservative Republican".  Rand Paul is his own man, unlike his establishment puppet opponent Trey Grayson.

So what if Grayson has establishment support. He is still just as conservative and in fact more conservative on some minor non-important issues. A generic Conservative Republican is a social, fiscal, and foriegn policy conservative in the mode of Ronald Reagan or at least the common perception of Reagan among conservatives. I am still waiting to here how on a big issue he is not one of them. The fact is Grayson, a conservative rising star, has been destroyed because of misdirected anger, and Tea Party talking points. Paul has thrown out every Libertarian postion he had to be competative in Kentucky and then let the general mood and the narrative he succeeded in establishing, do the rest.

Grayson was scum, not a "conservative rising star."
justW353
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.83

« Reply #83 on: April 11, 2010, 09:44:46 PM »

Can we all agree that straw polls are garbage?

Probably not...
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #84 on: April 11, 2010, 09:46:46 PM »

This reminds me of an exchange in the movie Nicholas and Alexandra between Trotsky and Lenin.

Trotsky(to Lenin): "You hate any Bolshevik who is not your kind of Bolshevik more then you hate the Tsar!"
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #85 on: April 12, 2010, 06:59:19 PM »
« Edited: April 12, 2010, 07:00:56 PM by Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon »

The real story here is that Ron Paul came in dead last in the second preference votes - behind Gary Johnson and behind every other candidate.

To his credit, he has a dedicated base of support who will follow him anywhere - whether it's New Orleans or Guyana.  However it is abundantly clear that the vast majority of Republicans (or at least the ones who attended this event) are unwilling to consider him.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #86 on: April 12, 2010, 08:21:04 PM »

This reminds me of an exchange in the movie Nicholas and Alexandra between Trotsky and Lenin.

Trotsky(to Lenin): "You hate any Bolshevik who is not your kind of Bolshevik more then you hate the Tsar!"

Except neocon Republicans are not my people and its true I don't like them any more than I like Obama.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #87 on: April 12, 2010, 08:26:37 PM »

Except neocon Republicans are not my people and its true I don't like them any more than I like Obama.

Neocon? Another misused word. Roll Eyes Doesn't Paul support the war in Afghanistan.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies