The Civil War
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:38:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  The Civil War
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6
Author Topic: The Civil War  (Read 15409 times)
LBJ Revivalist
ModerateDemocrat1990

Political Matrix
E: -5.87, S: -2.87

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 10, 2010, 03:47:13 PM »

I really can't believe the people who defend the Confederacy and try to claim the Civil War wasn't about slavery--these are usually conservatives, who still call it the ''war of Northern Agression.'' I go on conservative message boards and it's amazing to see after 140 years these Southerners still calling the war by that name, arguing slavery had little to do with the war and even referring to those from the Northern states as "Yankees" It's like many of these cons are still stuck in 1870. Yeah, let's defend a state's right and freedom to own slaves...Little bit of irony there.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2010, 04:00:37 PM »

The Civil War was mainly started because the North wanted new stated admitted to the Union to be Free states, while the South wanted them to be Slave states. If I remember correctly, the Senate was to vote on whether a state would be free or slave, and the South didn't like that since they had less Senators than the North. Also, much of the South's economy came from cotton, and if all the slaves were freed, they would be screwed economically, as they would have trouble finding workers to pick the cotton.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2010, 04:35:16 PM »

Because in actuality, slavery was the main focus of the 'states rights' debate.
President Mitt
Giovanni
Samoa

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2010, 04:44:06 PM »

The Civil War started because both sides were tired of compromise. The Whigs and Democrats, were not really supporting the needs of the people, and were mostly there for their own selfish reasons. Politicians had quickly become seen as malignant and corrupt, which made people begin to lose faith in the Party System's ability to solve problems. Politicians were also seen as out of touch with their constituents as no side, Slave or Free were really winning the argument by the 1850's, the argument had only been postponed by a series of compromises such as the Missouri Compromise, the Compromise of 1850, and the Kansas Nebraska Act.

All of these had attempted to cool tensions between an enraged South, and an angry North. Not only did any of these compromises fail to do that, but the parties had lost the faith of the people who had elected them into power to accomplish a specific goal. For example, Stephen Douglas, who was seen as a "moderate" on slavery, supporting Popular Sovereignty in States, was rejected by the South as the Democratic Nominee in 1860 because the Southern Wing of the Democratic Party did not view Douglas as "pro slavery" enough. The people on both sides were simply tired of political compromise.

The politicians' failure to please their constituents lead to a rise of people creating new parties, such as the Republicans, to "fix Washington," or some people, like John Brown, merely took matters into his own hands and started killing people. Brown's attack on Harper's Ferry and subsequent execution heightened North-South tensions to an even higher level. People turned to violence because of the political system's inability to solve the Slavery issue.

LBJ Revivalist
ModerateDemocrat1990

Political Matrix
E: -5.87, S: -2.87

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2010, 05:19:03 PM »

The Civil War started because both sides were tired of compromise. The Whigs and Democrats, were not really supporting the needs of the people, and were mostly there for their own selfish reasons. Politicians had quickly become seen as malignant and corrupt, which made people begin to lose faith in the Party System's ability to solve problems. Politicians were also seen as out of touch with their constituents as no side, Slave or Free were really winning the argument by the 1850's, the argument had only been postponed by a series of compromises such as the Missouri Compromise, the Compromise of 1850, and the Kansas Nebraska Act.

All of these had attempted to cool tensions between an enraged South, and an angry North. Not only did any of these compromises fail to do that, but the parties had lost the faith of the people who had elected them into power to accomplish a specific goal. For example, Stephen Douglas, who was seen as a "moderate" on slavery, supporting Popular Sovereignty in States, was rejected by the South as the Democratic Nominee in 1860 because the Southern Wing of the Democratic Party did not view Douglas as "pro slavery" enough. The people on both sides were simply tired of political compromise.

The politicians' failure to please their constituents lead to a rise of people creating new parties, such as the Republicans, to "fix Washington," or some people, like John Brown, merely took matters into his own hands and started killing people. Brown's attack on Harper's Ferry and subsequent execution heightened North-South tensions to an even higher level. People turned to violence because of the political system's inability to solve the Slavery issue.

It almost sounds like today. Not the whole details (as in Slavery, harpers ferry, etc) but the rise of new parties or political groups, the intense disdain for compromise on both sides of the aisle, the tension getting higher and higher between the two parties or ideals.
TheGreatOne

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2010, 05:57:01 PM »

I really can't believe the people who defend the Confederacy and try to claim the Civil War wasn't about slavery--these are usually conservatives, who still call it the ''war of Northern Agression.'' I go on conservative message boards and it's amazing to see after 140 years these Southerners still calling the war by that name, arguing slavery had little to do with the war and even referring to those from the Northern states as "Yankees" It's like many of these cons are still stuck in 1870. Yeah, let's defend a state's right and freedom to own slaves...Little bit of irony there.
The Conservatives are trying to revise history in order to change the appearance of State's rights proponents.  Its hard to make an argument that State's Rights is important when we see from history that State's Rights was used to justify the institution of slavery.  The only way the Conservatives can whitewash the dangers of absolute State's rights is to turn the Confederates into heroes.  

Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2010, 12:53:09 PM »

The Conservatives are trying to revise history in order to change the appearance of State's rights proponents.  Its hard to make an argument that State's Rights is important when we see from history that State's Rights was used to justify the institution of slavery.  The only way the Conservatives can whitewash the dangers of absolute State's rights is to turn the Confederates into heroes.  

States' rights was also used to fight slavery and war and other terrible things. New England planned on seceding multiple times, and Wisconsin I believe attempted to nullify the Fugitive Slave Act, which ran roughshod over states' rights.
v0031
China
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2010, 09:54:24 PM »

How many people died in the war?
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2010, 09:55:57 PM »

How many people died in the war?

620.000 but that's conservative IMHO.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2010, 09:56:25 PM »

620.000 but that's conservative IMHO.

Really?  What makes you think the number would be higher?
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2010, 09:58:21 PM »

Civilians, MIA etc. The paperwork trail was terrible back then, especially for confederates.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2010, 09:59:00 PM »

Civilians, MIA etc. The paperwork trail was terrible back then, especially for confederates.

I assumed the 620,000 figure did take those things into account.  Where would you put the number, then?  800,000?
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2010, 10:01:33 PM »

I assumed the 620,000 figure did take those things into account.  Where would you put the number, then?  800,000?

http://www.civilwarhome.com/casualties.htm

I wouldn't say the number is dramatically off but records were horrible in the south.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2010, 10:13:16 PM »

So, something I've been mulling recently: why did the South lose the war, and who's to blame?  I'm writing an essay putting much of the blame on Lee, but of course there are other options.  What do y'all think?
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2010, 10:21:30 PM »

So, something I've been mulling recently: why did the South lose the war, and who's to blame?  I'm writing an essay putting much of the blame on Lee, but of course there are other options.  What do y'all think?

Start with the railroads, that answers a lot of problems. North Carolina was found to have warehouses busting with food and supplies at the end of the war but the problem was the gauge on the tracks varied from state to state and they had a problem getting the supplies to the front.
justW353
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.83

« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2010, 10:23:21 PM »

I'd see the Union collapsing if the South won...In present day, I could see the map looking like this:

Blue is the United States of America
Red is the Confederate States of America
Green is the Republic of Texas
Dark Green is the Republic of California
Light Green is the Commonwealth of New England
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2010, 10:52:39 PM »

I can't see the South keeping West Virginia, and an independent New England would be too weak to survive nestled in there between the US and the Dominion of Canada.  It'd rejoin the Union if it ever left.  Also, you should probably give Oklahoma to the CSA.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2010, 10:59:27 PM »

I can't see the South keeping West Virginia,

Especially since the railroads were the reason the Union wanted WVA in the first place.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2010, 12:26:10 AM »
« Edited: April 19, 2010, 12:28:09 AM by Dallasfan65 »

Start with the railroads, that answers a lot of problems. North Carolina was found to have warehouses busting with food and supplies at the end of the war but the problem was the gauge on the tracks varied from state to state and they had a problem getting the supplies to the front.

Didn't the Union have an estimated 85% of rail roads, or something to that figure?

I can't see the South keeping West Virginia, and an independent New England would be too weak to survive nestled in there between the US and the Dominion of Canada.  It'd rejoin the Union if it ever left.  Also, you should probably give Oklahoma to the CSA.

Yes, the CSA actually had territory in Oklahoma.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2010, 02:11:33 AM »

Didn't the Union have an estimated 85% of rail roads, or something to that figure?

I seem to recall it being very proportional to population, actually. That would have helped the more urban & more densely populated North, which makes sense in view of history.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2010, 08:46:44 AM »

I think it was largly the fault of President Davis, whofar too often attempted to lead as essentally an armchair general.  This was especially prevalent on the Western Front where he directly contradicted General Johnston.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2010, 09:03:53 AM »

I seem to recall it being very proportional to population, actually. That would have helped the more urban & more densely populated North, which makes sense in view of history.

Ah. I'd read the figure (to the best of my recollection) in my old history book (this is dating back to freshman year...) but yeah, that makes sense.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2010, 12:07:51 AM »

The south had:
1/4 the numbers of people
1/2 the soldiers
3% of firearm production
and relied heavily on exports that were gone during the war

Blaming Lee for the loss is nuts.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2010, 12:11:04 AM »

The south had:
1/4 the numbers of people
1/2 the soldiers
3% of firearm production
and relied heavily on exports that were gone during the war

Blaming Lee for the loss is nuts.

Hell if anything Lee and other Southern military leaders should be given mad props for keeping the war going that long.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2010, 02:30:42 AM »

..and that's what I thought history had always told us.  One of those rare times history class in high school actually got it right. Smiley

(unless somebody has evidence pointing somewhere else, but I ain't seen it)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies