When will the U.S. lose its Christian majority?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:21:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  When will the U.S. lose its Christian majority?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: .
2010-2050

2051-2075

2076-2100

2101-2125

2126-2150

2151 and beyond

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 39

Author Topic: When will the U.S. lose its Christian majority?  (Read 6318 times)
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 14, 2010, 01:48:09 AM »

Option 6
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 01:48:53 AM »

Um, never. The demographics of the country will be getting more and more Christian in the years to come.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 01:55:39 AM »

Hard to really project out that far, but non-Catholic Christians should become a minority around 2040.

Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 02:03:02 AM »

Probably never. While the percentage of Christians is declining in the long term, trends change & attitudes change. One of the more annoying assumptions that my fellow atheists sometimes make is that society will naturally follow a constant progression towards atheism, something that I emphatically doubt.

Hard to really project out that far, but non-Catholic Christians should become a minority around 2040.

I think you mean plurality. They're still ahead of the next biggest group by 33%, so minority is unlikely anytime soon.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 02:05:58 AM »

Certainly not anytime soon.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 02:07:02 AM »

Uh, Catholics count toward the Christian majority.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 02:07:54 AM »

Probably never. While the percentage of Christians is declining in the long term, trends change & attitudes change. One of the more annoying assumptions that my fellow atheists sometimes make is that society will naturally follow a constant progression towards atheism, something that I emphatically doubt.

I think you mean plurality. They're still ahead of the next biggest group by 33%, so minority is unlikely anytime soon.

No I meant minority, like the Canadian Conservative party is a minority party. Sure, it's also a plurality.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2010, 05:38:54 PM »
« Edited: April 14, 2010, 05:45:43 PM by shua »

interesting that the percentage of non-Catholic Christians has stayed mostly steady for nearly 3 decades. also surprising given immigration that the Catholic percentage has lowered a bit.

religious people generally have higher birthrates, so the way we get to a Chrisitan minority would be a) massive immigration of Muslims, Hindus, Sikhs, Buddhists, etc. and/or b) a dramatic decrease in religiousity in future generations. 
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2010, 06:40:43 PM »

I think the amount of non-religious will continue to rise for at least the next 30 years. 
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2010, 12:28:48 AM »

I think the amount of non-religious will continue to rise for at least the next 30 years. 

At this rate in 30 years "None" still won't be above 20% even.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2010, 12:48:28 AM »

Not anytime soon.

Religious people, tend to have higher fertility rates and thus while there might be some secular kids, the majority will stay religious.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2010, 08:50:05 PM »

Not anytime soon.

Religious people, tend to have higher fertility rates and thus while there might be some secular kids, the majority will stay religious.

True, and regardless of what the young folks here think many so called "atheist" teens will turn back to their religious roots once they start having children of their own, it's pretty much a given.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2010, 09:00:06 PM »
« Edited: April 18, 2010, 09:01:54 PM by Frodo »

Not until the end of the century, if then.

Not anytime soon.

True, and regardless of what the young folks here think many so called "atheist" teens will turn back to their religious roots once they start having children of their own, it's pretty much a given.

Even if the 'godlessness' of my generation is overplayed, each succeeding generation generally turn out less religious than their predecessors, however.  I see no reason to think why mine will somehow buck this trend.  
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2010, 09:04:13 PM »

Not anytime soon.

Even if the 'godlessness' of my generation is overplayed, each succeeding generation generally turn out less religious than their predecessors, however.  I see no reason to think why mine will somehow buck this trend.  

Proof? I doubt religious identity would have even broken 70% even two hundred years ago.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2010, 09:10:45 PM »

Not anytime soon.

Proof? I doubt religious identity would have even broken 70% even two hundred years ago.

Here it is.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2010, 09:13:11 PM »
« Edited: April 18, 2010, 09:15:39 PM by SE Legislator PiT »

Not anytime soon.

Even if the 'godlessness' of my generation is overplayed, each succeeding generation generally turn out less religious than their predecessors, however.  I see no reason to think why mine will somehow buck this trend. 

So? The deists that probably would have made up the bulk of non-identifiers then were much different than the atheists/agnostics who make up the bulk of non-identifiers today. It's hard to deny that religious authorities in much of the country today are much weaker than they were 200 years ago.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2010, 09:13:47 PM »

Not anytime soon.

Here it is.

It's a youth thing I promise. Most young folks, like many here, question their faith once they get out from under their parents wings, then, as they age and have children they usually come home.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2010, 09:15:25 PM »

So? The deists that probably would have made up the bulk of non-identifiers then were much different than the atheists/agnostics who make up the bulk of non-identifiers today. It's hard to deny that religious authorities in most of the country today are much weaker than they were 200 years ago.

Many dislike organized religion, they don't dislike the belief in God or an afterlife.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2010, 09:31:15 PM »

So? The deists that probably would have made up the bulk of non-identifiers then were much different than the atheists/agnostics who make up the bulk of non-identifiers today. It's hard to deny that religious authorities in most of the country today are much weaker than they were 200 years ago.

Many dislike organized religion, they don't dislike the belief in God or an afterlife.

Not disliking has anything to do with it. Unless you are trying to suggest that bulk of the irreligious today are in fact deists, you aren't really making any sort of point here.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2010, 09:34:21 PM »

Not disliking has anything to do with it. Unless you are trying to suggest that bulk of the irreligious today are in fact deists, you aren't really making any sort of point here.

Because it's nothing worth worrying about religion will come back, it's in no threat of disappearing.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2010, 09:40:56 PM »

Because it's nothing worth worrying about religion will come back, it's in no threat of disappearing.

I agree with that, though I suppose the issue is that you are talking about organized religion specifically while I am talking about Christianity specifically. While it happens that there have always been people who reject organized religion, I do not think it would be controversial to suggest that apathy towards or rejection of the Christian God is more socially acceptable now than it ever has been in the past.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2010, 09:43:29 PM »

I agree with that, though I suppose the issue is that you are talking about organized religion specifically while I am talking about Christianity specifically. While it happens that there have always been people who reject organized religion, I do not think it would be controversial to suggest that apathy towards or rejection of the Christian God is more socially acceptable now than it ever has been in the past.

That doesn't suggest permanence. Religion might surge back in the next twenty years, it's happened plenty of other times in history.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2010, 09:52:47 PM »

That doesn't suggest permanence. Religion might surge back in the next twenty years, it's happened plenty of other times in history.

History is cyclical; as such, I agree that religion will experience a resurgence. I was rather taking issue with the notion that the irreligious now will become religious later on. Perhaps some of them will, but I expect it would be part of a greater society-wide trend towards religion rather than any sort of independent movement.
justW353
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.83

« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2010, 10:03:47 PM »

In a word, never.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2010, 12:25:51 AM »

The graph in Frodo's link certainly doesn't support StatesRights' point:

Regardless, 74% is still an overwhelming majority. The answer to the question is not in the lifetime of anyone on the forum.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies