What do Dems think of MoveOn ads....?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 03:28:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  What do Dems think of MoveOn ads....?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What do Dems think of MoveOn ads....?  (Read 2318 times)
The Vorlon
Vorlon
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -4.21

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 12, 2004, 03:27:56 PM »
« edited: March 12, 2004, 03:34:52 PM by Vorlon »

McCain Feingold was intended to clean up elections, but, as many predicted, it seems that money is like water and always finds new cracks to flow into...

The current MoveOn ads are clearly Anti-bush, but are they in violation of the Letter as well as the spirit of McCain Feingold?

The Bush/Cheney campaign has asked the Federal Election Commission to rule if these (and similar) ads violate the law, and should thus be subject to restrictions similar to those imposed upon the actual campaigns.

Even the New York Times as weighed in saying these ad may break the law...

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/03/11/opinion/11THU2.html

(registration required)

Any thoughts from the Democrats?

[size=14]Soft Money Slinks Back[/size]

Published: March 11, 2004 - NY Times

We are now engaged in the first federal election contest under the new campaign finance law prohibiting open-ended donations from corporations, unions and wealthy individuals in federal elections. Already, political insiders are carving a giant loophole that the Federal Election Commission must swiftly close. Otherwise, the system will be flooded again with the large and politically destructive contributions the new law was meant to stop.

At issue are a handful of new committees set up by Democratic operatives and dedicated to turning President Bush out of office. The groups are running advertising campaigns in 17 states to counteract Republican commercials that began last week. They insist that because they have no formal ties to the Democratic Party or to John Kerry, they are not bound by the 1974 federal election law or the more recent and restrictive McCain-Feingold law, which prohibits soft money in federal elections. The groups insist that their activities are necessary to offset a 10-to-1 fund-raising advantage in Mr. Bush's favor.

We sympathize with the Democrats' desire to level the playing field. But they do not have to subvert the law to do it. Indeed, Mr. Kerry has already announced his intention to raise as much as $80 million in smaller contributions that are legal. Mr. Kerry appears confident that the Democrats can raise money without making end runs around the reform law he voted for two years ago. Indeed, anyone who believes in the Democratic agenda ought to have similar faith that the Democrats, like the Republicans — or Howard Dean — are capable of raising a great deal of money from small donors.

In addition, anyone who was angered at phony "issue ads" in the last campaign will have little patience with the claims of one group, the Media Fund, that the ads it just unleashed are all about issues, not promoting candidates. One of the group's first broadsides declares that "George Bush's priorities are eroding the American dream," suggesting that the group's one and only ambition is to retire George Bush. That, in turn, represents an illegal use of soft money by an avowedly political group to influence federal elections.

The election commission agreed last month to issue a ruling on whether these groups should be asked to play by the same rules that apply to other political committees. The commission should act quickly. Delay would invite more soft money into a system now meant to exclude it.

Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2004, 04:04:03 PM »

Well, my feeling is that if you are going to ban the ads from one 257 org you must do it for all.  So if you ban moveon.org's ads they you must also ban ads from Citizens United and the Religious Right.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2004, 04:06:45 PM »

Well of course... but we're not the ones who pushed McCain Feingold!
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2004, 04:08:06 PM »

Well of course... but we're not the ones who pushed McCain Feingold!
Doesn't matter who pushed a law, it should apply to everyone equally.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2004, 05:05:27 PM »

I think george soros is a very handsome man.
See for yourself:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4487131/
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2004, 06:40:52 PM »

I don't care much. Let people run the ads they want, if they're distasteful people will hopefully not like them.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2004, 11:38:16 PM »

It's official.  They love it.  I just got a long email message from my uncle in St. Paul, MN who is a big supporter of the Democrats and another one from another uncle who was a long-time member of the MN state legislature (now retired).  Both were forwarded messages from MoveOn.org.  I haven't finished reading the messages yet, but here's a sample

Salon.com has just broken a major story detailing how the Pentagon created a special office to manipulate intelligence data on Iraq and WMDs.  It's written by Karen Kwiatkowski, a military officer who watched this unit at work, telling us the inside story in her own words.  Click here to read the full story:

http://www.salon.com/opinion/feature/2004/03/10/osp_moveon/

The Salon story makes it even clearer than before that the Bush administration deliberately misled us in the run-up to the war in Iraq a year ago.  The problem was not bad intelligence -- it was deliberate distortion of the facts.  It's Congress' duty to hold President Bush accountable for misleading us.  Please call your Senators and Representative now.  Make sure they know you're a constituent, then urge them to:

Censure President Bush -- formally reprimand him for misleading us about Iraq's WMDs.  Give them some reasons why Censure is necessary.  Some good ones
include:
 - 553 American soldiers have given their lives in Iraq;
 - Tens of thousands of our troops remain in harm's way there;
 - A year later, we seem to have no exit strategy;
 - Thousands of Iraqi civilians have been killed;
 - The President took us to war based on assertions he knew were untrue...

Oh, man.  It gets worse:

Strong, independent news sources are more important now than ever, as traditional media become increasingly concentrated under the control of just a few corporations, and with major outlets like CBS nakedly kowtowing to Republican interests.

I am not making this stuff up people.  And it goes on to mention the possibilities for the ads.  Are any of you Movers On getting these messages?  I may have more comments to share with you after I've finished reading it, but first I have to figure out how to respond to Uncle John.  He's a flaming Democrat, and he's apparently buying into this horseshít, but he is my uncle and I can't just excoriate him the way I do most knuckleheads.  They think I've lost my way.  This really chaps me, but it seemed somewhat relevant to the thread.
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2004, 11:44:38 PM »

I don't think the major news media outlets pander to either party, but there certainly are MUCH better places to get your news.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2004, 11:49:38 PM »

Do any of you Democrats actually believe the CBS news desk is 'nakedly kowtowing to Republican interests'?
Bandit3 the Worker
bandit73
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2004, 11:52:27 PM »

Do any of you Democrats actually believe the CBS news desk is 'nakedly kowtowing to Republican interests'?

Of course CBS is nakedly kowtowing to Republican interests.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2004, 10:50:27 AM »

from what I know, they do not violate the letter of the law, but rather they violate the intent of the law.
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2004, 11:30:35 AM »

Wasnt it CBS who O'Reilly was having a running battle with over the Passion (as well as the New York Times of course)?

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies