Day of Prayer Ruled Unconstitutional
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:00:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Day of Prayer Ruled Unconstitutional
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]
Author Topic: Day of Prayer Ruled Unconstitutional  (Read 10121 times)
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: April 18, 2010, 03:55:12 AM »

Aw, bless.  You've given yourself a point in your imaginary scoreboard, haven't you?

Or perhaps not.  I never claimed to have not recognized the religious element of Thanksgiving.  My point is that, like Christmas, any religious background has been shoved back out of the secular mainstream.  I've never given thanks to "God" at that time of year.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #101 on: April 19, 2010, 12:26:18 PM »

Wait wait wait.  Thanksgiving is supposed to be giving thanks to God?!  I've always been giving thanks to the Indians who helped out the Christian settlers, shortly before we largely wiped them out and sent them to live on 'reservations'.  I've never given thanks to "God", and I doubt I would even if I believed in such a thing.

Nope, it's God; you were wrong.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Haha, I don't really care what you religious folks get up to, but I'll do it the way I want, ok?  It's a pretty stupid and hypocritical holiday, in any case.

Why do you hate turkey, Joe?  That's like hating America.  Wink
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #102 on: April 19, 2010, 12:49:07 PM »

Wait wait wait.  Thanksgiving is supposed to be giving thanks to God?!  I've always been giving thanks to the Indians who helped out the Christian settlers, shortly before we largely wiped them out and sent them to live on 'reservations'.  I've never given thanks to "God", and I doubt I would even if I believed in such a thing.

Nope, it's God; you were wrong.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Haha, I don't really care what you religious folks get up to, but I'll do it the way I want, ok?  It's a pretty stupid and hypocritical holiday, in any case.

Why do you hate turkey, Joe?  That's like hating America.  Wink

Joe doesn't hate turkeys, he just thinks they are evil, sinful, wretched creatures who deserve to be roasted in ovens.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #103 on: April 19, 2010, 01:28:37 PM »

Obama: "We are NO LONGER a Christian Nation"

Hmm, now when did Obama say this? I'd obviously applaud him if he did but you are just fabricating things as usual aren't you?

True.  Obama did say that, sort of.  Stumbling over his words and initially forgetting to say just.

http://www.factcheck.org/askfactcheck/did_obama_say_we_are_no_longer.html

Umm, okay.

There is a tape out there of Obama saying exactly what jfcmst claims he did - if edited out of  context.  Taking remarks out of context... .

Actually, here is the exact quote, I did NOT edit his words: "Whatever we once were, we are no longer a Christian nation – at least, not just. We are also a Jewish nation, a Muslim nation, a Buddhist nation, and a Hindu nation, and a nation of nonbelievers."

Imagine if King David had proclaimed that to Israelites and lifted up other gods to the same level of the one true God- God would have wiped him and them off the face of the earth.

The fact that you view your beliefs as fact does not mean that policy makers should have to abide by them. The fact is that 'god' did a lot of things in the past, yet he mysteriously does nothing now.

Assuming something that you can not prove to be 100% infallible and correct, makes you an ignorant human being.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #104 on: April 21, 2010, 01:36:01 PM »

MADISON, Wis. - A federal judge in Wisconsin ruled the National Day of Prayer unconstitutional Thursday, saying the day amounts to a call for religious action.

Until I heard this news I wasn't even aware that there was a National Day of Prayer.  It's not on any of my calendars, like Thanksgiving and Independence Day and Full Moon are.  I do seem to recall hearing, from time to time, of the President having a national prayer day breakfast, now that I think about it, but I don't recall anyone other than the president ever celebrating it.  Maybe it never caught on with the public, or never achieved the commercial, materialistic, amd irreligious success, replete with football games and conspicuous consumption of food and ale, that we afford other holidays like Christmas or Saint Patrick's Day or Thanksgiving. 

I guess I could go either way with this.  I think I agree with the judge's conclusion that the government hasn't any business deciding whether or when people should pray, but then its creation by the Congress doesn't seemed to have harmed anyone.  Still, its demise won't hurt the NFL, Macy's, beer sales, fast food markets, or the greeting card industry so the decision isn't likely to cut into American culture in any meaningful way.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #105 on: April 23, 2010, 11:10:33 AM »

There is no need for a "Day of Prayer," however, the Judge has it wrong.  The Day of Prayer proclomation doesn't establish a religion or does it require people to participate in it.  There for, it does not violate the first amendment. 
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #106 on: April 23, 2010, 11:20:19 AM »

I think governments are free to encourage people to take legal voluntary actions, provided there is no penalty for not doing so.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #107 on: April 23, 2010, 01:21:29 PM »

I think governments are free to encourage people to take legal voluntary actions, provided there is no penalty for not doing so.

Yes, I read something similar in a confidential homosexual agenda memo.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #108 on: April 23, 2010, 01:31:13 PM »

Yes, I read something similar in a confidential homosexual agenda memo.

There's a reason why that memo I sent you had CONFIDENTIAL across the top, Ebowed.  >Squinting
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies