Day of Prayer Ruled Unconstitutional (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:23:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Day of Prayer Ruled Unconstitutional (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Day of Prayer Ruled Unconstitutional  (Read 10246 times)
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« on: April 15, 2010, 10:41:50 PM »

Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 12:44:14 PM »

What the heck is the point of a 'day of prayer' anyway?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 01:49:05 AM »

Wait wait wait.  Thanksgiving is supposed to be giving thanks to God?!  I've always been giving thanks to the Indians who helped out the Christian settlers, shortly before we largely wiped them out and sent them to live on 'reservations'.  I've never given thanks to "God", and I doubt I would even if I believed in such a thing.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2010, 02:09:13 AM »

Wait wait wait.  Thanksgiving is supposed to be giving thanks to God?!  I've always been giving thanks to the Indians who helped out the Christian settlers, shortly before we largely wiped them out and sent them to live on 'reservations'.  I've never given thanks to "God", and I doubt I would even if I believed in such a thing.

Nope, it's God; you were wrong.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Haha, I don't really care what you religious folks get up to, but I'll do it the way I want, ok?  It's a pretty stupid and hypocritical holiday, in any case.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2010, 03:20:26 AM »

"ME LIBERTAS.  ME WIN DEBATE."

Like I said, you religious folks can do what you want.  Besides, the origins of both holidays are secular, were then adopted by Christians for their own ends, and eventually became secular again.  You just need to accept that.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2010, 03:55:12 AM »

Aw, bless.  You've given yourself a point in your imaginary scoreboard, haven't you?

Or perhaps not.  I never claimed to have not recognized the religious element of Thanksgiving.  My point is that, like Christmas, any religious background has been shoved back out of the secular mainstream.  I've never given thanks to "God" at that time of year.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies