Day of Prayer Ruled Unconstitutional (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:26:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Day of Prayer Ruled Unconstitutional (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Day of Prayer Ruled Unconstitutional  (Read 10272 times)
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« on: April 16, 2010, 07:25:37 PM »

The people who settled the United States were a Christian people. It is foolish to deny our nation's heritage.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 07:29:28 PM »

The people who settled the United States were a Christian people. It is foolish to deny our nation's heritage.

Benjamin Franklin? Thomas Jefferson? Thomas Paine? I do not deny that the average citizenry, in the main, were Christian. I certainly deny that the Framers were a homogeneous conglomerate of Christians.

It's awfully fishy how suspicious you act when this subject is broached. It's almost like you're selective in your libertarian positions.

My positions are entirely consistent with my anarchist philosophy.

It is just a fact that religion has played an important role in the lives and communities of many Americans going back to before the nation was even founded.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 07:33:44 PM »

Benjamin Franklin? Thomas Jefferson? Thomas Paine? I do not deny that the average citizenry, in the main, were Christian. I certainly deny that the Framers were a homogeneous conglomerate of Christians.

It's awfully fishy how suspicious you act when this subject is broached. It's almost like you're selective in your libertarian positions.

My positions are entirely consistent with my anarchist philosophy.

It is just a fact that religion has played an important role in the lives and communities of many Americans going back to before the nation was even founded.

Sure. That hardly means anyone ought to be bound by what they did today. Looming, weaving, basket-making and cow-milking were also important in their lives and communities; it hardly means anyone ought to want to preserve those traditions.

That doesn't follow logically at all. Economic factors are not the same thing as moral and social factors.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 07:59:55 PM »

Christianity is part of our nation's heritage, and of its national character. To deny this is foolish.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2010, 08:03:26 PM »

Wow, Dibble, LOL at the idea that Christianity was responsible for slavery.

Slavery was practiced around the world for thousands of years without second thoughts. It only became abolished and taboo in the United States by the earnest efforts of good Christian men and women who were inspired by their faith to stand up in favor of abolition.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2010, 08:28:12 PM »

Christianity is part of our nation's heritage, and of its national character. To deny this is foolish.

OK. What's your point?

So Christianity should be recognized as part of this National Day of Prayer.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2010, 09:12:25 PM »

The only reason why a Christian Elitist would argue to keep the National Day of Prayer is to re-establish Christian dominance in the country.  

The Founding Father argument is irrelevent for anyone with half a brain.  It doesn't matter what the Founding Fathers thought.  They lived in the 1700s and we live in 2010, where society, culture, morals, and economic standards are very different.  Why would we continue to follow old ways of thinking.  We are suppose to advance thought, not remain stagnant.

Also, who cares if Christianity is part of our Nation's heritage?  Slavery is also part of the Nation's heritage, but I don't see any Christians fighting for that policy anymore.  Frankly, I don't beleive Christians would feel the same way if Islam was part of our National Heritage, and the Government closed down to celebrate Ramadan.    

Um that's because Islam is not part of our nation's heritage. If we were talking about Saudi Arabia or Pakistan, of course I would say they should celebrate their own Islamic heritage.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2010, 01:56:03 AM »

Wait wait wait.  Thanksgiving is supposed to be giving thanks to God?!  I've always been giving thanks to the Indians who helped out the Christian settlers, shortly before we largely wiped them out and sent them to live on 'reservations'.  I've never given thanks to "God", and I doubt I would even if I believed in such a thing.

Nope, it's God; you were wrong.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2010, 03:13:38 AM »

Wait wait wait.  Thanksgiving is supposed to be giving thanks to God?!  I've always been giving thanks to the Indians who helped out the Christian settlers, shortly before we largely wiped them out and sent them to live on 'reservations'.  I've never given thanks to "God", and I doubt I would even if I believed in such a thing.

Nope, it's God; you were wrong.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Haha, I don't really care what you religious folks get up to, but I'll do it the way I want, ok?  It's a pretty stupid and hypocritical holiday, in any case.

Yes, you were wrong, glad that's clarified.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2010, 03:27:50 AM »

"ME LIBERTAS.  ME WIN DEBATE."

Like I said, you religious folks can do what you want.  Besides, the origins of both holidays are secular, were then adopted by Christians for their own ends, and eventually became secular again.  You just need to accept that.

Yes, I know I won the debate. Not hard to do when you are my debate opponent. Thanksgiving was founded as a holiday to give thanks to God whether you choose to recognize that or not.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies