Puerto Rico?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 03:34:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  Puerto Rico?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Puerto Rico?  (Read 8018 times)
danwxman

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2004, 02:37:58 PM »

No, there's no chance that DC will become a state, and very little that Puerto Rico will.

Puerto Rico has the right to become a state if their population approves of the move, however, they would lose a lot of their current economic privalleges by becoming a state.  

DC, on the other hand, should never be given the right to become a state.  Those that complain that they aren't represented in Congress can easily pack their bags and move somewhere else.  DC is the home of our nations government, and should never be overlapped by a state government for control.  The governing council is more than adequate to control the day-to-day operations of the city.  

Well, we should give them two senators anyway.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2004, 02:42:20 PM »

No, there's no chance that DC will become a state, and very little that Puerto Rico will.

Puerto Rico has the right to become a state if their population approves of the move, however, they would lose a lot of their current economic privalleges by becoming a state.  

DC, on the other hand, should never be given the right to become a state.  Those that complain that they aren't represented in Congress can easily pack their bags and move somewhere else.  DC is the home of our nations government, and should never be overlapped by a state government for control.  The governing council is more than adequate to control the day-to-day operations of the city.  

Well, we should give them two senators anyway.

Nope.  Senators are a right of states, not individual cities.  They are lucky that they were able to get a Representative for the House, which I am against.  It gives an individual city too much power.  The governing council is more than enough for the city.  They converse with the federal government for their financial needs, which cover the non-federal land portions of the city.  Monument care and expansion are controlled by the federal government, as well as many of the transportation infrastructure issues (bridges, highways, etc). 
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2004, 02:44:47 PM »

What do you mean by "right to become a state?"

Congress must approve of any state or commonwealth that wants to be admitted into the Union.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2004, 02:49:48 PM »

Congress must approve of any state or commonwealth that wants to be admitted into the Union.

Yes, but the population of the territory has to approve of becoming a state before it even reaches the Congress.  That is why there is so much attention on Puerto Rico each time the referrendum makes it to their local ballots.  If the island votes overwhelmingly for statehood, the territory approaches the Congress asking to be recognize as a state.  From there, the federal government and the territory begin the long process of paperwork and leg work to help the territory with the transition.
danwxman

« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2004, 02:51:47 PM »

Yes, but the population of the territory has to approve of becoming a state before it even reaches the Congress.  That is why there is so much attention on Puerto Rico each time the referrendum makes it to their local ballots.  If the island votes overwhelmingly for statehood, the territory approaches the Congress asking to be recognize as a state.  From there, the federal government and the territory begin the long process of paperwork and leg work to help the territory with the transition.

Do you have the results of the last referrendum? I think it was defeated by substantial margins, but I'm not sure.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2004, 02:53:47 PM »

Do you have the results of the last referrendum? I think it was defeated by substantial margins, but I'm not sure.

I'll see if I can find them when I get home.  I know it was voted down, but don't remember by what margin.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2004, 03:25:37 PM »

In 2003, roughly 45-50-5, as I recall.

(that's statehood-commonwealth-independence)

they have the best of all worlds:  social security benefits without being taxed.  US protection without being taxed.  the right to join the army and to travel freely in the US and to carry US passports, but without the burden of taxation. 

Roughly just a shade over half of puertoriquenos don't want to rock that boat.  Can't say I'd blame them.  Pretty sweet deal.

We spent about 10 days there last year.  That is *the* issue, and that issue defines PR politics, no doubt.  Beautiful place, by the way.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2004, 03:30:32 PM »

they have the best of all worlds:  social security benefits without being taxed.  US protection without being taxed.  the right to join the army and to travel freely in the US and to carry US passports, but without the burden of taxation. 

Could I move there and get the same deal?
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2004, 03:35:25 PM »

If you claim your residence as Puerto Rico, yep.  I had a student who did the reverse - moved to the US and claimed VA as his residence.  He goes back a few times a year to visit his family, but he is much more happy here in VA.  He would never have received the pay he's making now back in Puerto Rico (there are always pro's and con's to every decision).
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2004, 03:36:41 PM »

I think so.  we looked into it a bit last year when I was looking for a job in the third-world part of the US for reasons I can't go into just now.  PR was one of my top choices.  Ultimately I declined an offer to interview at UPR - Mayaguez because GG didn't want to live on a little island in the caribbean, and I caved.
Andrew
United States

« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2004, 07:28:23 PM »

They are lucky that they were able to get a Representative for the House, which I am against.
Their representative isn't allowed to vote.  How are they lucky?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2004, 08:11:34 PM »

The various territorial Delegates and Residential Commissioners do get to vote in the House Committees and sub-committees that they are on, so they do get a chance to shape legislation, but they don't get any final say so.  One of the things the GOP did when they took control in 1994 was to kick all of non-Representatives off of the Committee of the Whole House in which a lot the House's business is conducted, so they don't have as much power as they once had.
Andrew
United States

« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2004, 08:14:20 PM »

Again, how are they lucky?
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2004, 12:33:35 AM »

They get handouts from the federal government without having to pay any taxes.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2004, 11:41:57 AM »

They get handouts from the federal government without having to pay any taxes.

No taxation without representation.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2004, 11:53:44 AM »

No give without take.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia