Should FDR be removed from the dime? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:02:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Should FDR be removed from the dime? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: .
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 58

Author Topic: Should FDR be removed from the dime?  (Read 6487 times)
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« on: April 26, 2010, 10:34:05 PM »

I see I wasn't quite blunt enough.  FDR founded the movement most widely associated with this currency denomination.  He has a strong personal link to the dime.  For that reason alone, even if you can't stand FDR, he deserves to stay on.

Agreed. That's why I support him staying. As to all the Jackson bashing, lol lol.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 11:43:01 PM »

Removing them was more humane then allowing them to continually get in conflict with Europeans.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 11:48:10 PM »

Removing them was more humane then allowing them to continually get in conflict with Europeans.

By that standard, it would be more humane to remove the Palestinians from the West Bank and Gaza than allowing then to continually get in conflict with Israelis.

I wouldn't have a problem with that.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 07:25:32 PM »

does anyone even know why we have FDR on the dime in the first place?

Yes, because of the March of Dimes, as was said earlier.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 08:56:56 AM »

Did thousands of Japanese die in those internment camps?

Thousands of Japanese were deprived of their freedom.

Not to the degree that the Cherokee were. The comparison is ridiculous.

The Cherokee were a hostile enemy force to the United States. They did not have equal rights to the people they were killing. Just because the Cherokee and other tribes were lesser equipped doesn't mean that we should have any more sympathy for them. I'm sorry but I'm sick of hearing this "native Americans were victims" crap. Were their legitimate crimes committed by both Indians and Europeans? Yes. Was the entire Indian removal a crime? No. Indians murdered white families just as much as American armies did. It was not the best time in history but war crimes happened on both sides. Removing the Indians to the west was preferable over continuous warfare. I'm not saying their were injustices but to condemn people who are long dead over reacting to something where their were few other options is just silly, sorry.

??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 11:46:23 AM »

First off, let me make it clear that I believe the Japanese internment was a horrible thing that shouldn't have happened. However, though the conditions were bad for the Japanese they weren't bad enough to outright cause the deaths of people. I believe you're misleading the statistics a bit here.

1862 deaths out of a population of 120,313, over the four years the Japanese were interred, is a crude death rate of 16.15 per year; about equal to the United States at the time (not counting the war deaths o/c).

So yes, while the Japanese were horribly mistreated by being put into camps, there's really no evidence that the government's actions led to anyone's deaths (though it was still a horrible horrible policy).

Yes but those citizens lost property which was never given back to them after the war. BTW, the Americans of Japanese descent weren't the only Americans persecuted during the first and second world war. My great grandparents had to wear arm bands identifying them as Austrians during the first world war. My g-grandfather was also investigated by the US govt for being a spy (as were many citizens), he was cleared though.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies