High-brow ambitions
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:52:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  High-brow ambitions
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: High-brow ambitions  (Read 50128 times)
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 27, 2010, 12:41:39 PM »

This is supposed to be a forum for religious and philosophical issues, so this is not an off-topic playground.

In other words, I will attempt to hold a somewhat higher standard here than one might expect of some other boards. So, please refrain from smart-ass one-liners, cheap shots, etc. And try to stick to the subject and the philosophical premises that an OP establishes.

This goes for everyone, in general. But some examples include that if someone wants to discuss his own conversion don't make it into a thread about your personal hatred of a specific church. If someone wants to discuss the interpretation of a holy text don't make it into a thread on your personal disbelief in the holy text.

You're always free to start your own threads about your pet theories.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 11:48:23 PM »
« Edited: April 30, 2010, 11:33:01 PM by Torie »

That is a very well thought out and thought provoking statement indeed. It caused me to ponder a bit. Well done!
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 10:44:57 AM »

You got it, Heinreich!
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 10:54:34 AM »

Philosophize, but only if you agree with A, B, and C.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 11:14:09 AM »

This is supposed to be a forum for religious and philosophical issues, so this is not an off-topic playground.

In other words, I will attempt to hold a somewhat higher standard here than one might expect of some other boards. So, please refrain from smart-ass one-liners, cheap shots, etc. And try to stick to the subject and the philosophical premises that an OP establishes.

This goes for everyone, in general. But some examples include that if someone wants to discuss his own conversion don't make it into a thread about your personal hatred of a specific church. If someone wants to discuss the interpretation of a holy text don't make it into a thread on your personal disbelief in the holy text.

You're alreligious and philosophical issuesways free to start your own threads about your pet theories.

Religious and philosophical issues are all about "smart-ass one-liners, cheap shots, etc."
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 12:55:33 PM »

I'm not sure I get your point. As I said, if you want to philosophize freely and randomly make a thread about it.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2010, 01:01:41 PM »

I'm not sure I get your point. As I said, if you want to philosophize freely and randomly make a thread about it.

The gist of your problems are when someone who isn't religious posts in a thread about religion.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2010, 01:23:50 PM »

The gist of your problems are when someone who isn't religious posts in a thread about religion.

No, not really...those are just the most recent examples. Unless you mean in an empirical sense, because, yes most of these occurrences will most likely be.

Of course, it is just as wrong to bring God into an explicitly atheist philosophy, if done in a stupid way.

It seems as if you're critical of me but I'm not sure in what way exactly, so it would help if you were more specific.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2010, 01:56:15 PM »

My point is that it's totally fine for conversations about religious things to have atheist input.  It's an equally valid viewpoint regardless of whether the creators of the thread intended them to have input.  What I have a problem with is you suggesting that whatever atheists have to say has no place in a religious conversation.  Sure some of them are less than friendly, but so are a large portion of posts regarding Islam and atheism.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2010, 04:22:36 PM »

My point is that it's totally fine for conversations about religious things to have atheist input.  It's an equally valid viewpoint regardless of whether the creators of the thread intended them to have input.  What I have a problem with is you suggesting that whatever atheists have to say has no place in a religious conversation.  Sure some of them are less than friendly, but so are a large portion of posts regarding Islam and atheism.

That is not what I'm saying. It depends on what kind of religious conversation it is, of course.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2010, 04:41:00 PM »

That is not what I'm saying. It depends on what kind of religious conversation it is, of course.

That's just what it seems like, but whatever.  It's no big deal, just by two cents. Smiley
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2010, 04:42:26 PM »

I think Gustaf's point is along the lines of two posters arguing about the meaning of some religious text, and then Torie drops by and states that it is so inane that both believe that the text has some nexus with a non-existent God and they both are delusional and should seek mental help, or something like that. Gustaf would prefer that that not happen. Among other things it is disruptive to the conversation.

The converse position is if someone is arguing some public policy issue in the public square dealing with secular considerations, and someone drops by and states that it is all immoral based on some religious text, and so on, and starts rapping about that ad nauseum. Then suddenly you have a two track conversation, with potential animus ensuing.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2010, 04:59:10 PM »

That's just what it seems like, but whatever.  It's no big deal, just by two cents. Smiley

Torie pretty much summed it up. I'm not on an atheist-witch-hunt. Tongue
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2010, 04:16:47 PM »
« Edited: May 05, 2010, 04:36:39 PM by jmfcst »

Gustaf,

I just read my PMs and realized one of my posts was edited due to "personal attack".

Tell me why no moderators stepped in when I, along with others, held prophetman's feet to the fire and told him he was a racist, yet I get edited for pointing out that another poster is draining meaning from the word of God just like the bible described Satan doing?

In other words, how can "you're a racist" be acceptable but "you're a deceiver bent on draining meaning from scripture" not be acceptable when BOTH had to do with someone's way of "interpreting" scripture?

Late edit: Or has both now become unacceptable, meaning the next time prophetman shows up we can't call him a racist?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2010, 09:20:07 PM »

I am going to butt in here, perhaps against my better judgment. The problem as I see it, is that describing a poster's interpretation of some religious text as Satanic could be construed as a personal attack. It may be something in the Bible states that distorting its meaning is Satanic, but what the text means is personal opinion, so if someone has another view, to then have such certitude that your point of view is right, and thus the other posters view is Satanic, strikes me as hubristic, subject to misinterpretation even if not meant as a personal attack, unnecessary to carry on a conversation about what the text means, and a reasonable judgment call to redact by a mod, assuming that is what happened.

JMO, and I don't mind if jmfcst disagrees.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2010, 10:45:45 PM »

I am going to butt in here, perhaps against my better judgment. The problem as I see it, is that describing a poster's interpretation of some religious text as Satanic could be construed as a personal attack. It may be something in the Bible states that distorting its meaning is Satanic, but what the text means is personal opinion, so if someone has another view, to then have such certitude that your point of view is right, and thus the other posters view is Satanic, strikes me as hubristic, subject to misinterpretation even if not meant as a personal attack, unnecessary to carry on a conversation about what the text means, and a reasonable judgment call to redact by a mod, assuming that is what happened.

JMO, and I don't mind if jmfcst disagrees.

Again, if he even attempted to address the evidence, I wouldn’t be making the charge.  But when he totally ignores the mountain of evidence and attempts to make synonyms out of two words which is not supported by either secular dictionaries or religious context…I do call it disingenuous.

So don’t lie and claim my approach and his approach are simply six and one half dozen of the other, for in a lot of ways, you're just as bad as he is.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2010, 10:55:39 PM »
« Edited: May 05, 2010, 11:03:09 PM by Torie »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

That is quite unfair I think to your interlocutor. I am far worse; in fact I may be Satan's representative while on this mortal coil. Indeed, I have since rocks cooled been far more interested in hell than heaven.Perhaps Mark Twain was a "bad" influence on me; I agree with him entirely on this matter. Anyway, take care, and await the response from the one you wanted one from, Gustaf, rather than the annoying Godless lawyer. Sorry to intrude.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2010, 07:58:31 AM »

Jmfcst, the only thing I edited was a sentence that called your opponent an idiot, because I thought it was over the line.

I didn't touch your other posts even though they were rather agressive in tone as well. I'm merely asking you to keep it civil, that's all.

And I don't think the stupid troll prophetman is at all comparable to Gramps who is a serious poster. Even if they were I was not a moderator back then and can hardly be charged actions taken or not taken at that time.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2010, 08:58:05 AM »

And I don't think the stupid troll prophetman is at all comparable to Gramps who is a serious poster.

And isn’t it ironic that our “Troll” was more willing to examine his religious claims against the backdrop of scripture than our “Serious Poster”?
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2010, 01:15:53 PM »

what is the point of this forum, we are all looking for answers. I'm willing to listen if the other person speaks intelligently and gives reasons to support their claims.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2010, 02:40:09 PM »

what is the point of this forum, we are all looking for answers. I'm willing to listen if the other person speaks intelligently and gives reasons to support their claims.

a leftover gem from Derek
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2010, 03:08:24 PM »

I look forward to the day when we can quote your leftover gems....
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2010, 10:15:36 AM »

I look forward to the day when we can quote your leftover gems....

I've put up with your retarded posts for years, what makes you think your new form of retarded logic is now going to drive me away?
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2010, 06:11:35 AM »

Guys...no fighting in the sticky-thread.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2010, 06:53:14 PM »

Guys...no fighting in the sticky-thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAeqVGP-GPM
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies