High-brow ambitions (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:27:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  High-brow ambitions (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: High-brow ambitions  (Read 50449 times)
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« on: April 27, 2010, 12:41:39 PM »

This is supposed to be a forum for religious and philosophical issues, so this is not an off-topic playground.

In other words, I will attempt to hold a somewhat higher standard here than one might expect of some other boards. So, please refrain from smart-ass one-liners, cheap shots, etc. And try to stick to the subject and the philosophical premises that an OP establishes.

This goes for everyone, in general. But some examples include that if someone wants to discuss his own conversion don't make it into a thread about your personal hatred of a specific church. If someone wants to discuss the interpretation of a holy text don't make it into a thread on your personal disbelief in the holy text.

You're always free to start your own threads about your pet theories.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 12:55:33 PM »

Philosophize, but only if you agree with A, B, and C.

I'm not sure I get your point. As I said, if you want to philosophize freely and randomly make a thread about it.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 01:23:50 PM »

Philosophize, but only if you agree with A, B, and C.
I'm not sure I get your point. As I said, if you want to philosophize freely and randomly make a thread about it.

The gist of your problems are when someone who isn't religious posts in a thread about religion.

No, not really...those are just the most recent examples. Unless you mean in an empirical sense, because, yes most of these occurrences will most likely be.

Of course, it is just as wrong to bring God into an explicitly atheist philosophy, if done in a stupid way.

It seems as if you're critical of me but I'm not sure in what way exactly, so it would help if you were more specific.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 04:22:36 PM »

My point is that it's totally fine for conversations about religious things to have atheist input.  It's an equally valid viewpoint regardless of whether the creators of the thread intended them to have input.  What I have a problem with is you suggesting that whatever atheists have to say has no place in a religious conversation.  Sure some of them are less than friendly, but so are a large portion of posts regarding Islam and atheism.

That is not what I'm saying. It depends on what kind of religious conversation it is, of course.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 04:59:10 PM »

My point is that it's totally fine for conversations about religious things to have atheist input.  It's an equally valid viewpoint regardless of whether the creators of the thread intended them to have input.  What I have a problem with is you suggesting that whatever atheists have to say has no place in a religious conversation.  Sure some of them are less than friendly, but so are a large portion of posts regarding Islam and atheism.
That is not what I'm saying. It depends on what kind of religious conversation it is, of course.

That's just what it seems like, but whatever.  It's no big deal, just by two cents. Smiley

Torie pretty much summed it up. I'm not on an atheist-witch-hunt. Tongue
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 07:58:31 AM »

Jmfcst, the only thing I edited was a sentence that called your opponent an idiot, because I thought it was over the line.

I didn't touch your other posts even though they were rather agressive in tone as well. I'm merely asking you to keep it civil, that's all.

And I don't think the stupid troll prophetman is at all comparable to Gramps who is a serious poster. Even if they were I was not a moderator back then and can hardly be charged actions taken or not taken at that time.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2010, 06:11:35 AM »

Guys...no fighting in the sticky-thread.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2011, 04:01:43 AM »

did you delete the recent thread on ID/evolution? if so, why?

Huh? The one about doctors?

I can answer no regardless, I haven't deleted any thread on this board recently. Remember, the starter of a thread can delete the thread if that person wants.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies