Why was the media biased against Gore in 2000?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:52:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2000 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Why was the media biased against Gore in 2000?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why was the media biased against Gore in 2000?  (Read 3774 times)
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 02, 2010, 12:32:58 AM »

From what I've seen, the media criticized Gore for every little thing that he did, while they gave Bush Jr. a free pass on almost everything he did. Why was the media baised against Gore? Was it due to Monica Lewinsky, close friendship with the Bush family, or something else?
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 04:01:12 AM »

I hope you're joking. They held the DUI story til the weekend before the election in order to screw Bush and deflate his surge.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010, 12:59:37 AM »

I hope you're joking. They held the DUI story til the weekend before the election in order to screw Bush and deflate his surge.

No, they didn't. They just accessed the story on the last weekend before the election. They didn't know about it beforehand. Also, the media criticized Gore for every little thing he did (being awkward, beinga  populist, etc.) while giving BUsh Jr. a free pass on many of the same things and also on many of his controversies (like making Jesus Day a holiday in Texas). Even when the DUI story was released, some members of the media tried to turn it against Gore and claim that Gore was reponsible for the leak and is thus engaging in extremely negative campaigning because he has nothing better to offer the country.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2010, 01:06:28 AM »

Gore made them feel dumb. His academic record wasn't impressive, but it was clear that he was much smarter than the average talking head. Also, they wanted that tax cut.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2010, 01:07:58 AM »

Bush should have come out with the DUI story himself. Still, I've never seen a candidate get is as badly from the press as Bush did between 2000-2004.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2010, 01:09:34 AM »

Bush should have come out with the DUI story himself. Still, I've never seen a candidate get is as badly from the press as Bush did between 2000-2004.

Fail
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2010, 01:09:53 AM »

Oh, please. Bush didn't receive much bad press from the media in 2000, and during his first term the media also treated him pretty well (with possibly the exception between Jan 2001 and Sep 2001). It was only during the beginning of his second term, with Iraq becoming unpopular and Katrina, that the media really began to severely criticize Bush Jr.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2010, 01:11:14 AM »

Gore made them feel dumb. His academic record wasn't impressive, but it was clear that he was much smarter than the average talking head. Also, they wanted that tax cut.

Gore was also going to pass a tax cut (but not for them Tongue). Also, if the media wanted low taxes so badly, why did they support Clinton twice and Obama in 2008?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2010, 01:12:17 AM »

Gore was also going to pass a tax cut (but not for them Tongue). Also, if the media wanted low taxes so badly, why did they support Clinton twice and Obama in 2008?

I guess they like charisma, too.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2010, 01:13:30 AM »

I guess they like charisma, too.

That's a shame. If only Gore had picked a more charismatic (or a competent female) VP, maybe the media wouldn't have treated him as badly and he would have been able to win in 2000.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2010, 01:29:27 AM »

The media did not like lower taxes. Gore's tax cut was probably for ppl who don't pay taxes or ppl who barely pay any taxes. A tax cut is a huge reduction of what is paid by all tax payers. Bush's tax cut did not turn out as planned either. He originally wanted to cut taxes instead of hand everyone the same amounts of money depending on if they are married or single. He did not have enough Republicans in the Senate so he did rebates with money that should've been used to pay off the deficit. Bush was portrayed as the candidate running against peace and prosperity. I wouldn't say Bush's charisma is what put him over the finish line of 270 either. The gun issue did that. Gore basically shot himself in the foot by wanting more gun control. It doesn't go over well in places like Ohio, Tennessee, West Virginia, or Arkansas.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies