Arpaio won't run
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:31:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Arpaio won't run
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Arpaio won't run  (Read 6349 times)
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: May 09, 2010, 03:12:52 AM »
« edited: May 09, 2010, 03:37:24 AM by Joe Republic »

Second, the truth is that both terms are used interchangeably, as I previously pointed out.

As I also previously pointed out, this is only the case among illiterate right-wingers.  To use the term "Democrat party" in the context of the U.S. Democratic Party is incorrect, quite simply.

"Mark at Pollster" used the noun correctly.

Again, I'm glad to be of help to you!  Smiley
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #51 on: May 09, 2010, 03:13:56 AM »

Teabagger is the inappropriate name to call Tea Partiers as well. If you're calling out pejoratives......

Who mentioned anything about a "pejorative"?  I'm merely correcting Carl's incorrect grammar; nothing more.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #52 on: May 09, 2010, 08:06:30 AM »

Only CARLHAYDEN could continue to argue about this for two pages.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #53 on: May 09, 2010, 04:47:55 PM »
« Edited: May 09, 2010, 11:08:44 PM by Joe Republic »

Second, the truth is that both terms are used interchangeably, as I previously pointed out.

As I also previously pointed out, this is only the case among illiterate right-wingers.  To use the term "Democrat party" in the context of the U.S. Democratic Party is incorrect, quite simply.

"Mark at Pollster" used the noun correctly.

Again, I'm glad to be of help to you!  Smiley

You continue to be wrong.

Mark used the term in exactly the same way a I have.

personal attack removed
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #54 on: May 09, 2010, 08:47:26 PM »

CARL is without question one of the stupidest men I have ever encountered.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #55 on: May 09, 2010, 10:30:52 PM »

Teabagger is the inappropriate name to call Tea Partiers as well. If you're calling out pejoratives......

Who mentioned anything about a "pejorative"?  I'm merely correcting Carl's incorrect grammar; nothing more.

People have used the term Democrat instead of Democratic because they believe the party is no longer Democratic in nature. They are making the term "Democrat" be the label for liberals as a brand name. Rush or one of them explained it as that one day. Take that as you will.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #56 on: May 09, 2010, 11:08:09 PM »

Mark used the term in exactly the same way a I have.

No, not quite.  You see, in the American context, 'Democrat' can only be used as a noun, and not as an adjective.

"Mark" used it as a noun, whereas you used it as an adjective.

Once again, I'm glad to have provided you with this education.  Wink
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #57 on: May 09, 2010, 11:17:33 PM »

People have used the term Democrat instead of Democratic because they believe the party is no longer Democratic in nature. They are making the term "Democrat" be the label for liberals as a brand name. Rush or one of them explained it as that one day. Take that as you will.

Oh, I know the reason behind the attempt on behalf of the right wing to alter the English language.  Wink
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #58 on: May 11, 2010, 12:35:49 PM »

A member of the Democratic Party is a Democrat....nobody is disputing this. Do you really not see what this is about? Really?

Yes.

You're being 'dense.'

1) Let's try this: Carl, are you a citizen of the State of "Arizonian"? "Democrat" is a personal adjective; "Democratic" is a noun.

2) 2006 being a good year for Democrats is a pretty flimsy excuse for Napolitano winning reelection by almost a 2-1 margin and sweeping every county in the state by double-digits. Sorry Carl, but she must've done something right.

Regarding others' comments about Arpaio being electorally invulnerable, I wouldn't be so sure. In 08 he won reelection with only 55% of the vote. Not great for a 16 year incumbent in a Republican County while McCain was simultaneously carrying Maricopa by over 10 points. It might be county residents realize Sheriff Joe isn't so much uniquely "tough" as a "media whore".

First, from Merriam-Webster Onlince Dictionary:

Main Entry: dem·o·crat
Pronunciation: \ˈde-mə-ˌkrat\
Function: noun

Second, guess you are in to making things up.  Where did you get "arizonian"? 

Third, if you bothered to read my post you would see that not only did I point out that 1986 was a bad year for Republicans, and a good year for Democrats, but, that in addition the Republican candidate for Governor was unusually weak candidate (a nice guy, but weak).

First: You're right the term "democrat" is a noun. My bad. Just like you talking about "1986" being a good Democratic year. (It was, but obviously you meant 2006). Wink

Secondly, regarding some of your subsequent posts, you are partially correct: The term "Democrat" and "Democratic" are MIS-used interchangeably by Limbaugh, Beck and the like. But the correct term for the party is "Democratic Party", a member of which is a "Democrat".

Third, this is exactly what I (and everyone else) are patiently trying to get you to understand. I am a member of the "Democratic Party". This makes me a "Democrat", but the name of my party is not "The Democrat Party". You live in the state of "Arizona". You are an "Arizonan" (excuse the previous spelling error, Mr. 1986 Wink), but this does not make where you live the "State of Arizonan".

If you can't follow that you're either hopeless or jerking our collective chain (hopefully the latter Wink). Either way I'm done explaining it.

Finally, I'll readily take your word that Janet N's 2006 GOP opponent was in way over his head. But still, if Napo was doing such a poor job shouldn't even a sacrificial lamb be able to avoid being beat by double digits in every single county in what you repeatedly profess is a conservative Republican state? More importantly, if she wasn't so popular and doing a good job as gov, shouldn't she have drawn significantly better opposition? It's not like the AZ GOP lacks a deep bench, Carl.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #59 on: May 12, 2010, 01:39:39 AM »

Badger,

First, let me admit that I meant to type 2006 instead of 1986, but was dealing with another matter at the time and made an error.

Second, let me give you the primary definition from Merriam-Webster for "democratic":

Main Entry: dem·o·crat·ic
Pronunciation: \ˌde-mə-ˈkra-tik\
Function: adjective
Date: 1602
1 : of, relating to, or favoring democracy

So you see, its an adjective.

Third, I realize that like Joe, you believe in explaining your position whereas I have cited sources to support my contention.

Fourth, you really shouldn't comment on matters where you knowledge is incredibly inadequate.  There are a couple of small (population wise) counties in Arizona that are heavily Democrat.  Further, the war within the Republican party which has seen the routs of Senators in Pennsylvania, Utah and the Governor of Florida began in 2006 in Arizona.  So, 2006 was a weak year for Republicans in Arizona.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #60 on: May 12, 2010, 01:42:17 AM »

Badger,

First, let me admit that I meant to type 2006 instead of 1986, but was dealing with another matter at the time and made an error.

Second, let me give you the primary definition from Merriam-Webster for "democratic":

Third, I realize that like Joe, you believe in explaining your position whereas I have cited sources to support my contention.

Fourth, you really shouldn't comment on matters where you knowledge is incredibly inadequate.  There are a couple of small (population wise) counties in Arizona that are heavily Democrat.  Further, the war within the Republican party which has seen the routs of Senators in Pennsylvania, Utah and the Governor of Florida began in 2006 in Arizona.  So, 2006 was a weak year for Republicans in Arizona.

Here's another good word.

Main Entry: hom·onym
Pronunciation: \ˈhä-mə-ˌnim, ˈhō-\
Function: noun
Etymology: Latin homonymum, from Greek homōnymon, from neuter of homōnymos
Date: 1697

1 a : homophone b : homograph c : one of two or more words spelled and pronounced alike but different in meaning (as the noun quail and the verb quail)
2 : namesake
3 : a taxonomic designation rejected as invalid because the identical term has been used to designate another group of the same rank — compare synonym

— hom·onym·ic \ˌhä-mə-ˈni-mik, ˌhō-\ adjective
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #61 on: May 12, 2010, 02:25:50 AM »

There are a couple of small (population wise) counties in Arizona that are heavily Democrat.

Here's a good example of where you're going wrong, Carl.  In that sentence, you used the noun 'Democrat' in a context where the adjective form (i.e. 'Democratic') should have been used instead.

Imagine if you had typed a sentence where you had described something as being "very doorknob" or "really teacup", and you'll understand what I mean.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #62 on: May 12, 2010, 02:33:50 AM »

You are still incorrect.

Merely repeating your opinions is valueless.

Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #63 on: May 12, 2010, 02:42:52 AM »
« Edited: May 12, 2010, 02:53:23 AM by Joe Republic »

But I've merely pointed out your recurring mistake for you.  You even made my case for me by providing two quotes from Merriam-Webster that showed you the difference between the variants of the word!  Firstly in Reply #39 of this thread, proving that 'democrat' is a noun, and again in Reply #60 proving that 'democratic' is an adjective.  So now you certainly have no excuse for misusing the word again.

I'm not asking for you to thank me, or apologize, but you should at least accept that you were wrong.  Smiley
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #64 on: May 12, 2010, 03:10:26 AM »
« Edited: May 12, 2010, 03:20:44 AM by Joe Republic »

But I've merely pointed out your recurring mistake for you.  You even made my case for me by providing two quotes from Merriam-Webster that showed you the difference between the variants of the word!  Firstly in Reply #39 of this thread, proving that 'democrat' is a noun, and again in Reply #60 proving that 'democratic' is an adjective.  So now you certainly have no excuse for misusing the word again.

I'm not asking for you to thank me, or apologize, but you should at least accept that you were wrong.  Smiley

Joe,

I cited that Democrat was a noun, correcting Badger (I cited authority on this matter).

I then corrected yoou in asserting that democratic is an adjective, again citing authority.

personal attacks removed
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #65 on: May 12, 2010, 03:19:17 AM »

But you cited a dictionary that confirms what we've been telling you!

Tell me, is the word at the end of the following sentence a noun or an adjective?

There are a couple of small (population wise) counties in Arizona that are heavily Democrat.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #66 on: May 12, 2010, 06:54:10 AM »

This thread is even more entertaining with Carl on ignore.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #67 on: May 12, 2010, 11:37:52 AM »

This thread is even more entertaining with Carl on ignore.

I put him on ignore to see. You're right.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #68 on: May 12, 2010, 01:32:06 PM »

Badger,

See below:

First: You're right the term "democrat" is a noun. My bad. Just like you talking about "1986" being a good Democratic year. (It was, but obviously you meant 2006). Wink

Secondly, regarding some of your subsequent posts, you are partially correct: The term "Democrat" and "Democratic" are MIS-used interchangeably by Limbaugh, Beck and the like. But the correct term for the party is "Democratic Party", a member of which is a "Democrat".

Third, this is exactly what I (and everyone else) are patiently trying to get you to understand. I am a member of the "Democratic Party". This makes me a "Democrat", but the name of my party is not "The Democrat Party". You live in the state of "Arizona". You are an "Arizonan" (excuse the previous spelling error, Mr. 1986 Wink), but this does not make where you live the "State of Arizonan".

If you can't follow that you're either hopeless or jerking our collective chain (hopefully the latter Wink). Either way I'm done explaining it.

What an utter red herring. AGAIN, Carl, Napo didn't just win the few heavily Democratic counties like Apache and Santa Cruz, nor the relative swing counties like Pinal, but EVERY county in your professedly conservative state, including heavily Republican ones like Graham and Mojave--all by double digits. (BTW: Did I get the political leaning of those specific counties correct? Or even their names? I suffer deeply, you see, from "inadequate knowledge".)

Yes, we all know 2006 was a bad year for Republicans, Carl, both nationally and in AZ. However that same year highly conservative GOP Sen. Kyl was being reelected by a healthy 10 point margin against a well (mostly self) funded candidate (Jim Pederson) in a race that had been picked up on the national radar as a possible upset chance for Democrats. Kyl carried all but 4 counties statewide, winning 11, some by 20 points or more, and carrying Graham County by almost 40!

By my math, even if 99+% of Pederson voters also voted for Napo, as well as 2/3 of the Libertarian senate candidate's voters (highly unlikely she'd even a get a majority, but just assume), Janet still picked up about a third of Kyl voters.

And this is all due to 2006 being a bad GOP year? The anti-GOP tide didn't keep Republicans from still winning open seat governors races in places like Nevada and Florida that year.

Still want to go on about how she's teed everyone off with her lousy job as governor? I have no doubt before she moved on to DHS Sec. her popularity waned, like most governors, along with the national economy. To be reelected that convincingly, though, in what you constantly profess is a staunchly conservative and Republican state---well, she must have done more than a couple things right.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies