Democrats and World Government
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:22:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Democrats and World Government
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which of these are a good idea?
I'm not a Democrat
UN tax
UN military
UN courts
only taking military action with UN approval
UN Supreme Court, to settle world affairs; to the world as the US Supreme Court is to the states
UN elected representatives
pull out of the UN
none of these ideas
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Democrats and World Government  (Read 2021 times)
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 29, 2004, 04:32:51 PM »

Dems only (except the first option)

Feel free to post which ones you support and don't support in this thread
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2004, 11:39:46 PM »

I didn't vote, since this was for Dems only, but all of the options except for "none of these" was really crappy.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2004, 04:01:12 AM »

3 obviously has no understanding of the UN or of international relations.  The UN is a body created primarily by the US, and its main effect in the post-WWII world has been to increase US influence. 

CollectiveInterest

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2004, 09:51:02 AM »

What is government?

Do we have world government already? Why does or doesn't the WTO qualify as world government?

What good things could a democratic world government do?

What are your concerns about having a democratic world government?
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2004, 10:01:36 AM »

Why does or doesn't the WTO qualify as world government?

I'll take a crack at this one. The WTO is a beauracracy, not a government, though it does have elements of a government. Certainly many governments in the world are part of it, but it lacks some major elements that constitute government - first off it is not sovereign. Not all governments are sovereign, local governments being an example, but even local governments are backed by one sovereign power - only one. The WTO is more of an agreement between multiple sovereign governments, no one government having complete control. The WTO also does not have any way to enforce it's rules - it relies completely on voluntary cooperation between sovereign nations. Also, the WTO has no citizens, residents, or land to rule - only the sovereign nations and the lower forms of government within them do. For those reasons I don't think the WTO is a government.
CollectiveInterest

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2004, 10:07:32 AM »

I'll take a crack at this one. The WTO is a beauracracy, not a government, though it does have elements of a government. Certainly many governments in the world are part of it, but it lacks some major elements that constitute government - first off it is not sovereign. Not all governments are sovereign, local governments being an example, but even local governments are backed by one sovereign power - only one. The WTO is more of an agreement between multiple sovereign governments, no one government having complete control. The WTO also does not have any way to enforce it's rules - it relies completely on voluntary cooperation between sovereign nations. Also, the WTO has no citizens, residents, or land to rule - only the sovereign nations and the lower forms of government within them do. For those reasons I don't think the WTO is a government.

What enforcement mechanisms does the WTO have?

What countries have successfully bucked WTO rulings?
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2004, 10:13:10 AM »

I don't know about the second, but the first is easy. They don't have any enforcement mechanisms - they rely completely on the sovereign nations involved to voluntarily enforce things(sometimes on other nations, but the WTO itself has no way to force anyone to comply). If all the nations in the WTO suddenly decided not to enforce any WTO rulings, the WTO would be completely powerless.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2004, 10:58:06 AM »

The WTO is entirely a tool of US policy.  So is the UN for the most part.
Trilobyte

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2004, 12:21:14 PM »

I still think a loose EU-style federation that is the way to go. Individual nations keep their sovereignty but the federal state establishes common market, agricultural and fisheries policy, and streamlined customs.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2004, 02:36:38 PM »

Do you actually believe your prediction map?

CollectiveInterest

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2004, 08:43:25 PM »

In what thread would it be appropriate to discuss this?
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2004, 08:46:06 PM »

This one's fine
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies