Office of former Governor Oakvale: Adios, all, and thank you!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:33:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Office of former Governor Oakvale: Adios, all, and thank you!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Author Topic: Office of former Governor Oakvale: Adios, all, and thank you!  (Read 18671 times)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: July 20, 2010, 09:24:45 PM »

On the advice of Midwest Lieutenant Governor whateverthehelltheycallitoverthere Kalwejt, I've decided to produce an ad (of sorts) for my election campaign.

Here's me, working hard for the region.

*cheesy 80s music blares*

*runs up mountain*

Tongue

*hughughug* Grin Cheesy Smiley
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #51 on: July 20, 2010, 09:28:43 PM »

On the advice of Midwest Lieutenant Governor whateverthehelltheycallitoverthere Kalwejt, I've decided to produce an ad (of sorts) for my election campaign.

*runs up mountain*

Tongue

*hughughug* Grin Cheesy Smiley

I can't lose now!
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #52 on: July 20, 2010, 09:34:20 PM »

*runs up mountain*

Tongue
Are you the blond guy in the red shirt? Tongue
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #53 on: July 20, 2010, 10:01:51 PM »

*runs up mountain*

Tongue
Are you the blond guy in the red shirt? Tongue

No, of course not. That is my evil opponent, Xahar. Tongue
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #54 on: July 23, 2010, 11:09:05 AM »

Pacific citizens should go and vote in the special election to fill the Lieutenant Governor's position.

Mind you, there's an election next month so the winner will have to renew their term pretty soon.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #55 on: July 24, 2010, 08:18:42 AM »
« Edited: July 25, 2010, 02:39:41 PM by Governor Oakvale »

Random campaign idea #1

Since Dave (praise be upon him) kindly gave me the, er, much coveted ability to edit our wiki, I've noticed what pretty much everyone else has - that, despite the noble efforts of a selfless few, the wiki is in a near-constant state of disrepair, clogged with outdated and, thus, irrelevant articles.

That's why I'm proposing the creation of an appointed (and subject to confirmation) position I've rather cheesily decided to call the (Pacific) Historian General, [1] for the purposes of mantaining and updating articles related to our region, such as...

Pacific region,
Pacific Gubernatorial elections,
Pacific elected officials,
A bunch of laws under the Pacific Statute article.

And, well, you get the idea. Smiley

Now, according to our Constitution, the Lieutenant Governor is tasked with doing said updating of articles, but, em, yeah, that doesn't really work out in practice, as the constant poor state of the wiki shows (although, to be fair, the Pacific seems to be slightly better than most, although that's not saying much).

Case in point, I was Lieutenant Governor, and I found this out literally yesterday by stumbling across the Constitution on the wiki. So, yeah.

More to the point, it's a pretty intensive job, possibly a little much for one person. As such, I wouldn't be adverse to allowing for a deputy or two if the... HG requested such. And, if there are some strict Constitutional purists out there, I'd be okay with placing the Lieutenant Governor in some kind of advisory role to the department.
Hell, it would fit in nicely with my second major goal, i.e. "giving the Lieutenant Govenor something to actually do." Tongue

In summary, if the good people of the Pacific elect me Governor next month, I'll create a government position for the sole purpose of keeping Pacific-relevant wiki articles updated.

PS: Oh, and hey, on a gameplay basis, more government positions are always good. Wink

[1] Shut up.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #56 on: July 25, 2010, 01:26:38 PM »

Presumably Random campaign idea #2 is electing someone to the Constitutional Convention who will do nothing.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #57 on: July 25, 2010, 01:57:40 PM »

Presumably Random campaign idea #2 is electing someone to the Constitutional Convention who will do nothing.

FWIW, I'm not the one asking inactive citizens to vote, something which is, unfortunately, happening with both you and Ebowed.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #58 on: July 25, 2010, 02:06:43 PM »

But you are the one voting for an inactive candidate. I wouldn't have to do this otherwise.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #59 on: July 25, 2010, 02:12:10 PM »

But you are the one voting for an inactive candidate. I wouldn't have to do this otherwise.

Well, sure, I think Ebowed would do a great job as our delegate - which, I hasten to add, is more as a result of his unique qualifications for the task than any reflection on you . I'm not too thrilled about the inactive voters being awoken from their slumber solely to vote for the ConCon delegate, and that goes for those voting for Ebowed as much as those voting for you, but I'll vote for the candidate I want to.

And let's not forget that, when I voted for Ebowed, you had a huge lead and it was all likely to be academic anyway. The surge in Ebowed votes was nothing to do with me, and surprised me.

Besides, let's look at this in another way - the race is tied, so it's entirely possible that you'll be our ConCon delegate regardless. Smiley
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #60 on: July 25, 2010, 02:13:45 PM »

His unique qualifications being, presumably, JCP membership.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #61 on: July 25, 2010, 02:31:30 PM »

His unique qualifications being, presumably, JCP membership.

Yeah, I'm a partisan hack. To the extent that I assumed you were in the JCP until I saw your Chartist convention thread a couple of days ago.

There's no conspiracy here.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #62 on: July 25, 2010, 02:33:17 PM »

Well, no, I don't suppose it can be called a conspiracy when it's in plain sight.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #63 on: July 25, 2010, 03:01:48 PM »

Well, no, I don't suppose it can be called a conspiracy when it's in plain sight.

There was a different conspiracy, though...
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #64 on: July 26, 2010, 07:45:22 AM »

Some news!

Voting is now closed.

Archangel Zero has been elected Lieutenant Governor.

ArchangelZero's been elected Pacific Lieutenant Governor in the special election held to fill the vacany I left in the position. I'm sure he'll do a fine job, and look forward to working with him in the coming weeks and months. Smiley

Voting is now closed.

Ebowed: 10 vote(s)
Xahar:     9  vote(s)
(abstain): 1 vote(s)

Ebowed is elected Constitutional Convention delegate for the Pacific.

And, yes, a messy and controversial fight comes to an end as Tender Branson's vote pushes Ebowed over the finish line and he's elected as our ConCon delegate. I'd like to formally congratulate the former Governor on his victory, and send my sincere commiserations to Xahar. It was a close fought thing.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #65 on: July 26, 2010, 01:37:58 PM »

A few words on the bad news on the unemployment situation.

I'm going to go ahead and advocate tax credits for businesses that hire again, which I know is fairly obvious, but there's only so much I can do for now. Also, I'm going to trawl through the statute and see if there's any particularly egregious overregulation I can try to remove, too, but I thnk, whatever our reputation, we're not a business un-friendly as people might assume.

BTW, does anyone know what the minimum wage is in the Pacific? I'd imagine it's rather high, but I haven't been able to find an up-to-date figure. The most recent I can find is from 2007, which specifies a wage of $7.50, which is fairly reasonable, but I wouldn't be adverse to cutting it by a few cent if it proves necessary. It's worth noting that lowering labour costs will provide more incentive for business to

a) Stay in Atlasia

b) Create jobs

Ultimately, though, we're going to have to wait for the actual unemployment figures before we get into specifics.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #66 on: July 29, 2010, 11:49:36 AM »

A comment on The Porcupine's poll.

Relatively low approval ratings aren't surprising at this point, but, if you'll pardon the cliché, next month's election really is about the future. Where do we want the Pacific to go from here?

Do we want the Pacific to adopt impractical, unworkable, and archaic far-left policies?

Do we want, however unlikely, some kind of model based on libertarian fairy dust?

Or do we want the Pacific to enter a new era of sensible government, government that's fiscally responsible but not afraid to spend money where it's needed?

Because that's the kind of government I'll lead as Governor, and ArchangelZero will lead as Lieutenant Governor. A liberal society that encourages enterprise, but not at the expense of the vulnerable, that encourages fiscal restraint, but not for slavish dogmatic reasons, and, above all, one that will make the Pacific a model for the rest of the nation.

I'm already working on solving the unemployment problem, advocating a regional version of the Senate's Hiring Incentives Act. Naturally, I urge the legislature to pass this as soon as possible, to get business hiring again.

In other words, please elect the Oakvale - ArchangelZero ticket next month. Smiley

Thanks,

Oakvale.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #67 on: July 29, 2010, 11:54:22 AM »

I'd also like to take this opportunity to invite my opponent, Xahar, to a debate on the issues, probably some time next month, and hosted, of course, by an impartial third party.

What do you say, Xahar? Want to have a debate? Smiley
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #68 on: July 29, 2010, 03:24:45 PM »

The minimum wage is still $7.50 but will increase to $8.75 on September 12 this year.

Though I have no objection to the hiring incentives proposal, I must confess that I find the term 'tax credit' to be quite the grating bit of political lexicon. Tongue
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #69 on: July 29, 2010, 03:25:28 PM »

I'd also like to take this opportunity to invite my opponent, Xahar, to a debate on the issues, probably some time next month, and hosted, of course, by an impartial third party.

Yeah, sure.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #70 on: July 29, 2010, 03:32:39 PM »

The minimum wage is still $7.50 but will increase to $8.75 on September 12 this year.

Though I have no objection to the hiring incentives proposal, I must confess that I find the term 'tax credit' to be quite the grating bit of political lexicon. Tongue

It sounds nice. Tongue

Yeah, sure.

Great, we'll organise it some time next month then.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #71 on: July 31, 2010, 07:28:34 PM »

I'm temporarily leaving you fine people for a week or so. Tongue

In my absence, ArchangelZero will be Acting Governor, and I'm confident you'll all give him your support. He'll do a fine job.

Just thought I should formally announce it here, too.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #72 on: July 31, 2010, 07:31:27 PM »

In my absence, ArchangelZero will be Acting Governor, and I'm confident you'll all give him your support. He'll do a fine job.

You couldn't have warned me earlier?
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #73 on: July 31, 2010, 07:34:05 PM »

You couldn't have warned me earlier?

Haha, sorry, I literally just sent you a PM on the subject. You've got a day or so to prepare, although there's not a whole lot on the agenda at the moment so I wouldn't worry. Smiley
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #74 on: July 31, 2010, 07:45:35 PM »

Please refer all questions, issues, and campaign business to my office for the time being:
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=121349.msg2597164#new
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies