"Radical Islam" and Terrorism (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 09:44:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  "Radical Islam" and Terrorism (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: "Radical Islam" and Terrorism  (Read 6627 times)
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« on: May 13, 2010, 07:35:10 PM »

what? What does that have to do with Islam and terrorism?
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 09:30:55 PM »

The "radical Islam" phrase, fwiw, has been a very strong distinction between Obama and Bush's administrations.  Bush was very direct about it, and Obama's administration has been far more hesitant to rhetorically place so much emphasis on Islam.

I feel like this is a important exchange between the two viewpoints.  Many Republicans want the focus to be on "radical Islam" while Democrats (including myself) would rather the phrase rhetorically focus on "radical Islamic beliefs that are inconsistent with mainstream interpretation of the Koran."

And, the fact that we're even having this debate shows how stupid we all are.

Obama is hesitant and indirect because he wants people to forget we're at war since he has no solution or plan to win.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 01:25:26 PM »

Yea the terrorists are going to find ways into our country or could coordinate through the internet. Look we can't secure our borders entirely unless you are suggesting we put up a shield and get the Jedi Knights to protect us.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2010, 01:13:16 PM »

Yea the terrorists are going to find ways into our country or could coordinate through the internet. Look we can't secure our borders entirely unless you are suggesting we put up a shield and get the Jedi Knights to protect us.

The best we can do is stop giving them a reason to fly planes into our buildings.

There is never a reason to fly a plane (full of people) into a large building (full of people).

9/11 didn't just happen for no reason at all.  Contrary to popular belief, they do not "hate us for our freedoms."  They hate us because we felt it was our right to meddle in the Middle East for our own benefit.  If Russia were to overthrow Britain's democratically elected government, and replace it with a puppet king, and then kill half a million French children through sanctions, I'm sure there would be a lot of Europeans who would be frustrated enough to fly a plane into a building in Moscow.

Oh I agree with some of what you're saying. We did put our military bases on Muslim holy ground. However, they do hate our way of life, for example women having rights. Their religion also in the extreme form tells them to kill those who do not follow and there are even instructions in the Koran on how to do that. So I think you're half right in the sense that there are reasons for them not to like us, but they are not justified in killing our citizens. Tell that to the families of 9/11.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2010, 03:43:11 PM »

The best we can do is stop giving them a reason to fly planes into our buildings.  Every bomb we drop, every country we invade, just brings more people into Al-Qaeda's ranks.  Osama bin Laden's whole plan was to get us to invade Iraq and Afghanistan, for that very reason.
Yeah, we should cave on any and everything they ask for.  These irrational halfwits couldn't possibly find something else to be suicidal about.

Yea stop sympathizing and defending Al-Qaida. If you're on their side do not waste your time talking to me. Instead save it for the families who were victims of 9/11. That's right.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2010, 09:19:33 PM »

You're extreme too. ^^ Go for diplomacy first and war is the last option, but must be an option. Also when dealing with those who think they will only go to heaven if they kill the infidels, war is often the only option. It's a sad part of life. I don't like war, but it is necessary under unfortunate and extreme circumstances.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2010, 06:15:48 PM »

You're extreme too. ^^ Go for diplomacy first and war is the last option, but must be an option. Also when dealing with those who think they will only go to heaven if they kill the infidels, war is often the only option. It's a sad part of life. I don't like war, but it is necessary under unfortunate and extreme circumstances.

Unfortunately, none of the wars the U.S. has fought were justified.

lolnazisymapthizer

Opposing the war doesn't make you a Nazi sympathizer.

Don't tell me if you opposed WWII. Tell the Jews. Go on now. Go ahead and do it. You won't say that to them. You won't do it.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2010, 12:13:35 PM »

Unfortunately, none of the wars the U.S. has fought were justified.

lolnazisymapthizer

Opposing the war doesn't make you a Nazi sympathizer.

Don't tell me if you opposed WWII. Tell the Jews. Go on now. Go ahead and do it. You won't say that to them. You won't do it.

So? Does the fact that you wouldn't tell a group of people about a position you hold because it would draw their ire make that position incorrect?

No it just makes YOU anti-semitic and a nazi sympathizer. Go through a week of concentration camp and come back with the same position. I hear Al-Qaida runs similar camps for non-believers in the middle east.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2010, 05:16:49 PM »

what are you referring to exactly?
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2010, 09:24:23 AM »

yea who asked that?
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2010, 02:18:32 PM »

WWII was necessary and brought the world together. It's unfortunate that wars happen, but they are sometimes inevitable as we are all only humans and some humans do terrible things.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2010, 09:40:02 PM »

WWII was necessary and brought the world together. It's unfortunate that wars happen, but they are sometimes inevitable as we are all only humans and some humans do terrible things.
Lol, the war divided the world like never before in history.

You'd rather have Hitler unite the world under tyranny?
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2010, 02:23:03 PM »

Lol, the war divided the world like never before in history.

You'd rather have Hitler unite the world under tyranny?

The Soviets and Nazis would have destroyed each other on their own.

So you'd want to be united under the Nazis or Soviets than have you independence. Look to have things like freedom, some things must be sacrificed and those who sacrificed their lives were proud to do so. No one wanted to be united under the Nazis or the Soviets and your thought that they'd destroy each other is wishful thinking and a cop out.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies