Why would one support a united Ireland if they are not Catholic?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:35:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Why would one support a united Ireland if they are not Catholic?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why would one support a united Ireland if they are not Catholic?  (Read 1236 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 16, 2010, 09:26:27 AM »

I'm just asking because this makes little sense but there seem to be lots of such people here.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 09:34:35 AM »

I suppose because the Protestant presence in Northern Ireland is blatantly imperialist from a historical perspective. I mean, there's no defense for the Plantation of Ulster, regardless of your position otherwise.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 09:49:53 AM »

Most Ulster Presbyterians are not descended from the Plantation, anyways.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 09:57:10 AM »

Not to mention that happened so long ago as to be relevant today. Might as well mention Oliver Cromwell.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 10:47:16 AM »

Not to mention that happened so long ago as to be relevant today. Might as well mention Oliver Cromwell.

Well, he was nasty, too.

One could say the same of the Trail of Tears. Yet you seem to have a lot of sympathy for Native Americans.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2010, 11:25:23 AM »

No. I oppose a united Ireland because the Protestants in Northern Ireland oppose it. If there are any very heavy Catholic areas in Northern Ireland, those can be given to the Republic of Ireland, but the rest should remain a part of the U.K.
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2010, 12:21:22 PM »

The idea seems pretty silly now. The UK and Ireland are both fairly well off liberal countries. Being in either is a good thing, so I don't understand the gripes of the nationalists or the unionists in this debate. I can understand why the Protestants had a seige mentality that caused them to do the things they did(although not really excusable), and I understand why the Catholics turned to violence as a means of fighting oppression(again, not particularly excusable). These questions should have been put to rest this past decade, but for some reason the electorate decided to jump to the two more extreme parties instead of the UUP and SDLP. Frankly I think it should just be that Ulster democratically decide which country they should be a part of, and that be that. Right now they would continue to be a part of the UK, possibly due to demographic changes they'll choose Ireland later.

The only real reason I can give for staying part of the UK is that Britain's economy is probably more structurally sound, and that transferring the entire government administration in NI would probably be a gigantic headache.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2010, 12:25:31 PM »

For the same reasons people support mass expulsion of the Jewish people from Israel.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2010, 12:28:01 PM »

Frankly I think it should just be that Ulster democratically decide which country they should be a part of, and that be that. Right now they would continue to be a part of the UK, possibly due to demographic changes they'll choose Ireland later.
Actually...

for some reason the electorate decided to jump to the two more extreme parties instead of the UUP and SDLP.
SF's fortunes dipped in the years before Good Friday. The party then did what the voters wanted, and are being rewarded.
As to UUP and DUP, the issues are of course far more complex. For one thing, UUP is far more "British" in outlook.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2010, 01:14:21 PM »
« Edited: May 16, 2010, 04:03:40 PM by [generic message of support for Labour] »

Because I oppose imperialism and particularly English imperialism.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2010, 03:35:26 PM »

Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2010, 03:43:10 PM »

I'm thinking of going to Dublin, so I bought an AA guide and among the ten landmarks in the city are Christ Church Cathedral (a stronghold of the Protestant faith), St Patrick's Cathedral (Ireland's largest church, which is also Protestant) and Trinity College (also linked to the Church of Ireland) in an overwhelmingly Catholic city and country

As for the Ulster's Scots, who are Presbyterian, didn't they just return home to Ulster?

Anyway, I support the reunification of Ireland should a majority of all the six counties favour reunification
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2010, 03:46:37 PM »

And I'd feel the same way if I did decide to convert to Catholicism. I'm C of E, but my late father was Catholic
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2010, 04:29:49 PM »

And at the end of the day, whether Catholic, Protestant or Orthodox they are all Christians ... but some are more Chrisian than others

Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2010, 03:41:30 AM »

Someone mentioned your dislike of Ireland in another thread BRTD. Is it just because of their social conservatism or is it something else?

A united Ireland would look nicer on the map, but I have mixed feelings on the issue. I'd like for Ireland to be united but I also don't want the UK to get any smaller.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2010, 03:45:24 AM »

Someone mentioned your dislike of Ireland in another thread BRTD. Is it just because of their social conservatism or is it something else?

A united Ireland would look nicer on the map, but I have mixed feelings on the issue. I'd like for Ireland to be united but I also don't want the UK to get any smaller.
It wouldn't be the UK anymore. It'd be Great Britain. Tongue

(Btw, I'm not at all sure I support a united Ireland. I'm fine with Northern Irish independence with some sort of guarantor function for Ireland and Britain... which is sort of what we already got anyways.)
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2010, 04:34:45 AM »

It wouldn't be the UK anymore. It'd be Great Britain. Tongue

(Btw, I'm not at all sure I support a united Ireland. I'm fine with Northern Irish independence with some sort of guarantor function for Ireland and Britain... which is sort of what we already got anyways.)

I wouldn't support NI independence. It can stay with Great Britain or it can join Ireland, there's no reason for independence.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2010, 04:37:30 AM »

It's a place unlike anywhere else. Reason enough. Tongue
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2010, 05:02:41 AM »

It's also worth pointing out that it was effectively independent until the 1970s.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2010, 05:54:07 AM »

I think you'll find BRTD (with your miniscule warped-John Fordesque view of Ireland) that most Catholics here do not approve of a United Ireland. Not only that but while there is a tribal identification with both religious groups in the north (and here too, to a small extent) it would be wrong to see this identification as religious in nature even if it is religious in origin. How many members of the PIRA, UVF, UFF, INLA, etc were regular church goes? Do I really need to answer that question?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies