Election simulation
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:37:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  Election simulation
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Election simulation  (Read 4223 times)
jacob_101

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2004, 10:33:15 AM »

I wanna play:    : )

ME CD2 60%
NH 50%
NM 15%
IA 25%
MN 50%
WI 50%
OH 45%
PA 80%
FL 25%
Inverted Things
Avelaval

« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2004, 10:43:33 AM »

I wanna play:    : )

ME CD2 60%
NH 50%
NM 15%
IA 25%
MN 50%
WI 50%
OH 45%
PA 80%
FL 25%

Kerry's Chances: 19.6%
Chance for tie: 2.2%
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2004, 10:47:11 AM »

Aveleval...a Monte Carlo simulation is nice if you wanted to include dozens of states, but if you're just doing that limited of a number, it's easy enough to outline the probabilities directly--which is how I calculate my Kerry-O'Meter (see sig) at noon and midnight every day.

With your initial values, Kerry has a 23.2% chance of winning (not far off from your 22%)--note that I can't easily get tie probabilities, as I naturally assumed Bush would win on them.
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2004, 10:49:35 AM »

Tested it out for a few other values--your 19.6% prediction for the last one was dead on.  Well, with an n of 1,000,000, you should be pretty on target.
Inverted Things
Avelaval

« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2004, 10:51:49 AM »

Aveleval...a Monte Carlo simulation is nice if you wanted to include dozens of states, but if you're just doing that limited of a number, it's easy enough to outline the probabilities directly--which is how I calculate my Kerry-O'Meter (see sig) at noon and midnight every day.

With your initial values, Kerry has a 23.2% chance of winning (not far off from your 22%)--note that I can't easily get tie probabilities, as I naturally assumed Bush would win on them.

Agreed. I did this more or less to teach myself how to use linked lists.
Inverted Things
Avelaval

« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2004, 10:53:37 AM »

My program also outputs a histogram of the number of times Kerry gets each # of EVs. If someone tells me how to use images on this forum, I can post a few.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2004, 11:28:26 AM »

This looks interesting...

ME CD2--82%
NH--91%
NM--18%
IA--10%
MN--58%
WI--26%
OH--41%
PA--98%
FL--40%
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2004, 12:30:31 PM »

ME CD2--82%
NH--91%
NM--18%
IA--10%
MN--58%
WI--26%
OH--41%
PA--98%
FL--40%

26.6% chance of a Kerry win...
Inverted Things
Avelaval

« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2004, 12:46:18 PM »

ME CD2--82%
NH--91%
NM--18%
IA--10%
MN--58%
WI--26%
OH--41%
PA--98%
FL--40%

26.6% chance of a Kerry win...

26.6 Confirmed
7.7% chance for a tie
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2004, 01:05:09 PM »

Avelaval--I really like your idea, however I think that the biggest source of error is likely to be your assumption that the outcomes of all of the swing states are uncorrelated.  I think there's a high probability that on Tuesday we're going to be surprised by one candidate or the other systematically outperforming our expectations across the board.  This happened with the Democrats in 1998 and 2000, and with the Republicans in 2002.  One side or the other does somewhat better than expected nationwide, perhaps because of some systematic bias in the polls, or because one side turns out to have a much better turnout machine than expected.  This could easily be enough of an effect to overwhelm the state-by-state variations.

An easy way to incorporate this into your simulation would be to have an additional random variable that shifts the probabilities for *all* the swing states in one direction by a fixed amount.  For example, have the simulation randomly choose a number between +10% and -10%.  If it picks 8% in the Bush direction, then the probabilities for *all* the swing states get shifted by 8% towards Bush.  If it picks 5% in the Kerry direction, they all get shifted by 5% towards Kerry.  You could even break it down in the end to see what percent of the time a national break towards Bush still results in a Kerry win or vice versa.
Inverted Things
Avelaval

« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2004, 01:13:30 PM »

Avelaval--I really like your idea, however I think that the biggest source of error is likely to be your assumption that the outcomes of all of the swing states are uncorrelated.  I think there's a high probability that on Tuesday we're going to be surprised by one candidate or the other systematically outperforming our expectations across the board.  This happened with the Democrats in 1998 and 2000, and with the Republicans in 2002.  One side or the other does somewhat better than expected nationwide, perhaps because of some systematic bias in the polls, or because one side turns out to have a much better turnout machine than expected.  This could easily be enough of an effect to overwhelm the state-by-state variations.

An easy way to incorporate this into your simulation would be to have an additional random variable that shifts the probabilities for *all* the swing states in one direction by a fixed amount.  For example, have the simulation randomly choose a number between +10% and -10%.  If it picks 8% in the Bush direction, then the probabilities for *all* the swing states get shifted by 8% towards Bush.  If it picks 5% in the Kerry direction, they all get shifted by 5% towards Kerry.  You could even break it down in the end to see what percent of the time a national break towards Bush still results in a Kerry win or vice versa.

Like the idea, but I don't see how illuminating it will be. In 2002 Gallup and Mason-Dixon did incredibly well at predicting senate and gubernatorial races despite the right-wing breeze that seems to blow across the country. I'm of the opinion that the polls can be trusted, which is why I don't have NV, WA, OR, MI, etc. in my simulation. Perhaps I should add HI to the simulation as well. If anyone is interested in the source code let me know.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2004, 02:20:54 PM »

My program also outputs a histogram of the number of times Kerry gets each # of EVs. If someone tells me how to use images on this forum, I can post a few.

[img*]http://INSERT YOUR IMAGE URL HERE[/img]

(minus the *)

Example:

[img*]https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/Themes/classic/images/english/reply.gif[/url], minus the * is:

dougrhess

« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2004, 03:10:03 PM »

Since you're running a Monte Carlo simulation, couldn't you include all the states to account for the odd surprise?
Perhaps someone can calculate the chances more systematic based on a combination of state polls.

I could, but in my opinion that would give less than reliable results. Among my biggest assumptions is independence of states. If I give Bush a chance at Washington, for instance, Bush likely has Florida all locked up, which would violate my key assumption of state independence.  I might add CO, WV, NV, MI, OR, NJ and ME at large, but I feel a little sketchy about those as well.

What kind of software do you do to run this? I have some stats packages (Stata, SAS, SPSS) but not sure if those are sufficient. Interesting topic!
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2004, 03:23:08 PM »

ME CD2 73%
NH 53%
NM 46%
IA 41%
MN 53%
WI 50%
OH 51%
PA 82%
FL 39%
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2004, 03:29:41 PM »

How about with TradeSports values?

NH 65%
NM 32.8%
IA 42%
MN 61.5%
WI 49.7%
OH 47.1%
PA 74.1%
FL 41.2%

ME CD2 I'll guess about 75%
Inverted Things
Avelaval

« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2004, 03:54:28 PM »

ME CD2 73%
NH 53%
NM 46%
IA 41%
MN 53%
WI 50%
OH 51%
PA 82%
FL 39%

Kerry's chances: 35.9%
Chance for Tie: 2.8%
Inverted Things
Avelaval

« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2004, 03:56:46 PM »

How about with TradeSports values?

NH 65%
NM 32.8%
IA 42%
MN 61.5%
WI 49.7%
OH 47.1%
PA 74.1%
FL 41.2%

ME CD2 I'll guess about 75%

Kerry's chances: 34.3%
Chance for tie: 3.4%
Inverted Things
Avelaval

« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2004, 03:57:49 PM »

Since you're running a Monte Carlo simulation, couldn't you include all the states to account for the odd surprise?
Perhaps someone can calculate the chances more systematic based on a combination of state polls.

I could, but in my opinion that would give less than reliable results. Among my biggest assumptions is independence of states. If I give Bush a chance at Washington, for instance, Bush likely has Florida all locked up, which would violate my key assumption of state independence.  I might add CO, WV, NV, MI, OR, NJ and ME at large, but I feel a little sketchy about those as well.

What kind of software do you do to run this? I have some stats packages (Stata, SAS, SPSS) but not sure if those are sufficient. Interesting topic!

All you need is a C compiler.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies