Should birthright citizenship include children of illegals?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:07:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Should birthright citizenship include children of illegals?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: .
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 44

Author Topic: Should birthright citizenship include children of illegals?  (Read 6939 times)
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 28, 2010, 11:31:55 PM »
« edited: May 29, 2010, 12:39:48 AM by Ned Litam »

No. I think that the part of the 14th Amendment regarding birthright citizenship should be amended to specifically exclude illegals and their children. (I'm not asking this from a legal standpoint, but from a personal opinion standpoint.)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 11:38:10 PM »

agreed
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 11:47:40 PM »

Yes.

I couldn't think of anything more UnAmerican than denying a child born on American soil American citizenship.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2010, 11:48:33 PM »

I favor repeal of the 14 Amendment and the abolition of federal citizenship. That would solve the problem.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2010, 11:52:22 PM »

Yes.

I couldn't think of anything more UnAmerican than denying a child born on American soil American citizenship.

Agreed. I would suggest relaxing restrictions on immigration, which would greatly reduce the problem of anchor babies.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2010, 11:57:04 PM »

Yes.

Agreed. I would suggest relaxing restrictions on immigration, which would greatly reduce the problem of anchor babies.

Don't you find it ironic that many of the people who bitch about illegal immigration are the same ones who support policies that make LEGAL IMMIGRATION harder?
Just a thought.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2010, 12:04:34 AM »

The main problem I have is when foreign-born parents are sent home, while their children stay here without their parents.  It's just awfully sad.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2010, 12:09:33 AM »

Yes.

There is already too much immigration, legal and illegal, into the United States.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2010, 12:18:03 AM »

The main problem I have is when foreign-born parents are sent home, while their children stay here without their parents.  It's just awfully sad.

I thought that if someone has two illegal parents, and both get deported, then he/she gets deported as well if he/she is a minor?
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2010, 12:21:45 AM »

Yes.

There is already too much immigration, legal and illegal, into the United States.

There can never be too much immigration.
The United States wouldn't exist without immigrants.  Immigrants are the lifeblood of the United States.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2010, 12:22:38 AM »

Yes. Deporting children is downright vile.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2010, 12:29:57 AM »

Yes.

The United States wouldn't exist without immigrants.  Immigrants are the lifeblood of the United States.

The United States is not the developing nation it once was. We don't need immigrants anymore, and in fact, we take in way too many.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2010, 12:31:56 AM »

Of course. One of the few issues on which America is streets ahead of Europe, and we should keep it.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2010, 12:34:01 AM »

Yes.

The United States is not the developing nation it once was. We don't need immigrants anymore, and in fact, we take in way too many.

How libertarian of you Libertas, to take the position that says "sorry buddy, no more immigrants allowed.  We're already at our quota."
For me there is no negotiation on the non-aggression principle, we don't use thugs with guns to deny people entry to the US.  Turning back immigrants is a statist policy.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2010, 12:35:06 AM »

Yes.

The United States wouldn't exist without immigrants.  Immigrants are the lifeblood of the United States.

So? If someone wants to come here & they do not have any predilections towards criminal activity, it is absolutely none of our business.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2010, 12:35:36 AM »

Yes.

How libertarian of you Libertas, to take the position that says "sorry buddy, no more immigrants allowed.  We're already at our quota."
For me there is no negotiation on the non-aggression principle, we don't use thugs with guns to deny people entry to the US.  Turning back immigrants is a statist policy.

Again, sorry if this got too personal, but I really don't understand how cracking down on legal immigration is in anyway "libertarian".
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2010, 12:37:52 AM »

the question is phrased oddly. if a person is born here, they are not in the country illegally. and that should not change.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2010, 12:39:09 AM »

I'm all for more legal immigration (if we need it), but there is no way we can just swing open the doors and let everybody that can get here in.  That is very bad policy.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2010, 12:39:30 AM »

the question is phrased oddly. if a person is born here, they are not in the country illegally. and that should not change.

Sorry. I should have wrote children of illegals.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2010, 12:47:49 AM »

I'm all for more legal immigration (if we need it), but there is no way we can just swing open the doors and let everybody that can get here in.  That is very bad policy.

I agree that totally open borders would be bad policy. With that said, I think we should move as close to open borders as we can without suffering disaster, just because I don't think it is any of our business if someone wants to come here & that person is not a wanton criminal.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2010, 01:02:02 AM »

I guess
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2010, 01:22:57 AM »

Yes.

Under a society governed by the non-aggression principle, then every piece of property would be privately owned and individual owners would decide who could and could not enter their property.

Under the current system, if 'we the people' own the country, it is our right to determine who can and cannot enter our property.

Government-enforced open borders is not a libertarian position.

"On rethinking immigration on the basis of the anarcho-capitalist model, it became clear to me that a totally privatized country would not have "open borders" at all. If every piece of land in a country were owned by some person, group, or corporation, this would mean that no immigrant could enter there unless invited to enter and allowed to rent, or purchase, property. A totally privatized country would be as "closed" as the particular inhabitants and property owners desire. It seems clear, then, that the regime of open borders that exists de facto in the U.S. really amounts to a compulsory opening by the central state, the state in charge of all streets and public land areas, and does not genuinely reflect the wishes of the proprietors."
--Murray N. Rothbard, Nations by Consent: Decomposing the Nation-State
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2010, 03:07:38 AM »

Yes.

Under a society governed by the non-aggression principle, then every piece of property would be privately owned and individual owners would decide who could and could not enter their property.

Under the current system, if 'we the people' own the country, it is our right to determine who can and cannot enter our property.

Government-enforced open borders is not a libertarian position.

But government-enforced closed borders is a libertarian position? Throwing taxpayer's money at the border is is a libertarian position? Being a collectivist is a libertarian position? If are delusional if you think that immigrants wouldn't be able to find a way into the country, even if there was 1000 times more border security than there currently is.

And as for Rothbard's theory....

" If every piece of land in a country were owned by some person, group, or corporation, this would mean that no immigrant could enter there unless invited to enter and allowed to rent, or purchase, property. "

The terrorists who flew planes into the WTC didn't "own" the WTC, and yet it didn't stop them from....oh wait. You don't don't believe in that "myth". Sorry. Carry on.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2010, 03:15:21 AM »

It's not "birthright" if it doesn't.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2010, 07:52:47 AM »

Of course. One of the few issues on which America is streets ahead of Europe, and we should keep it.

European countries deport children of {illegal} immigrants?  I wasn't aware illegal immigration was  big problem in Europe.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies