Should birthright citizenship include children of illegals?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 09:34:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Should birthright citizenship include children of illegals?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: .
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 44

Author Topic: Should birthright citizenship include children of illegals?  (Read 6952 times)
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: June 07, 2010, 04:28:57 PM »

What does that mean?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #51 on: June 07, 2010, 04:36:28 PM »

I suppose instead of being light-years ahead, it's merely streets ahead. We are ahead, just not by that much. Tongue
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #52 on: June 08, 2010, 03:26:57 PM »

I don't know, as problematic as it can be it just seems to set a bad precedent to remove citizenship from certain groups of people who were born here.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #53 on: June 09, 2010, 10:56:42 PM »

Don't take away citizenship but make people pass a test on our constitution at age 18 whether they were born here or not. That includes people whose parents were born as citizens.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #54 on: June 11, 2010, 02:55:06 AM »

Don't take away citizenship but make people pass a test on our constitution at age 18 whether they were born here or not. That includes people whose parents were born as citizens.

That makes no sense.  You can't treat a minor as a citizen and then revoke their citizenship at age 18 because they didn't pay attention in civics.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #55 on: June 11, 2010, 03:41:22 AM »

The UK makes spouses learn English or no visa.  link

Hardcore!
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #56 on: June 11, 2010, 07:59:36 AM »

For countries without birthright citizenship, what do hey do when they find an illegal family that has been living in their country for generations and has no ties to their former country?
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #57 on: June 12, 2010, 03:14:49 AM »

That makes no sense.  You can't treat a minor as a citizen and then revoke their citizenship at age 18 because they didn't pay attention in civics.

That's not what I'm saying. My bad for not clarifying. No one should be a citizen at birth regardless of being here legally or illegally. At 18, people should have to take a test in order to attain full citizenship.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #58 on: June 12, 2010, 12:37:02 PM »

That's not what I'm saying. My bad for not clarifying. No one should be a citizen at birth regardless of being here legally or illegally. At 18, people should have to take a test in order to attain full citizenship.

So everyone is stateless until 18?

I don't think you realize quite how bad an idea that is.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #59 on: June 12, 2010, 11:25:31 PM »

You're here legally but not a citizen. You still count for your parent's taxes and go to school like you're supposed to. At 18 you can become a citizen if you pass a test on our constitution.

justW353
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.83

« Reply #60 on: June 13, 2010, 01:18:55 AM »

I don't think he understands any of the trash he writes.

Birthright citizenship is in the Constitution.  There's no going around that.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #61 on: June 13, 2010, 01:25:01 AM »

Well the 14th amendment can be repealed or amended...
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #62 on: June 13, 2010, 01:30:39 AM »

I don't think that's what's in the 14th amendment though. That banned slavery.
justW353
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.83

« Reply #63 on: June 13, 2010, 10:33:15 AM »

I don't think that's what's in the 14th amendment though. That banned slavery.

Here we go again...

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies